Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 28-05-2023

Any news on what is happening with the studios?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - newsjunkie - 28-05-2023

Have just seen a message (that I can't seem to share) elsewhere from someone who works on the show suggesting that a few more shows will come "through" there in the coming days then "the studios will close for good."

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Scratch_Perry - 28-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 12:55 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  "Coverage" nowadays though can just be live updates on the website as far as the BBC is concerned.
Very true; as evidenced in the bigging up of winning the live radio rights for the Men's Rugby Union World Cup this Autumn.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 29-05-2023

(28-05-2023, 12:48 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  At the end of yesterday's live WSL game on BBC One, Alex Scott said that "BBC will have coverage of the Women's World Cup this summer", though this comment was not replicated in the highlights programme last night.

Methinks a jumping of the embargo gun here by Ms Scott (if one assumes it's a done deal); I suspect an official announcement in the next few days, with full plugs (by both BBC and ITV) during next Saturday's FA Cup Final coverage.

Could also be announced on Wednesday when the England squad for the tournament is announced.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Steve in Pudsey - 29-05-2023

A question that may well have been covered before - watching Sky Sports Main Event in the pub (via DSat), the pint glass icon is there as expected, but every so often a second more pixelated pint icon appears next to it. Any reason why?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - agemame - 29-05-2023

It's my understanding that it's for random inspection, there's a number of 'undocumented features' that can be used to ensure only those with the correct license can use the network in that context, as well as checking card numbers etc. You'd be surprised at the lengths people go to, including putting a pint icon decal on the screen to pretend to be the hospitality feed.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - i.h - 29-05-2023

Not had Sky in a while, do they still do the thing where a number flashes up on screen, which isn't the viewing card number but presumably can be linked to the account

Complete speculation but I wonder if it's also to check the right version of the commercial feed is being used

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Neil Jones - 29-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 06:25 PM)i.h Wrote:  Not had Sky in a while, do they still do the thing where a number flashes up on screen, which isn't the viewing card number but presumably can be linked to the account

Complete speculation but I wonder if it's also to check the right version of the commercial feed is being used

Yes.
IIRC the pint glass mentioned above is the feed for hospitality - pubs and what not. The other one (though there may be more) is for home reception. The numbers can be traced back to the viewing card (not sure how, must be some algorithm involved) and Sky will know who it belongs to.

You can understand why commercial venues go for the domestic feeds though if they think they can get away with it - its expensive to have the commercial feed, as it apparently costs about £24k a year for Sky and BT.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Studio7 - 29-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 06:50 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Yes.
IIRC the pint glass mentioned above is the feed for hospitality - pubs and what not.  The other one (though there may be more) is for home reception.  The numbers can be traced back to the viewing card (not sure how, must be some algorithm involved) and Sky will know who it belongs to.

You can understand why commercial venues go for the domestic feeds though if they think they can get away with it - its expensive to have the commercial feed, as it apparently costs about £24k a year for Sky and BT.
That's why there was all that fuss years ago about pubs buying subscriptions to foreign satellite services, which were not only much cheaper than the commercial Sky subscriptions, but they broadcast all the 3pm games that Sky aren't allowed to show. It went to the European Court. The publican being sued for doing this won her case (Google 'Karen Murphy').

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Humphrey Hacker - 30-05-2023

(29-05-2023, 07:35 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  That's why there was all that fuss years ago about pubs buying subscriptions to foreign satellite services, which were not only much cheaper than the commercial Sky subscriptions, but they broadcast all the 3pm games that Sky aren't allowed to show. It went to the European Court. The publican being sued for doing this won her case (Google 'Karen Murphy').

I'm against piracy but I can understand why these things happen. I understand the rationale behind the 3PM blackout in some ways but the plethora of sources for the EPL and other sports had made such a rule ridiculous.