Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Worth noting from the article that the current system in E (and C) was introduced back in 2013. With nearly 10 years of daily use it's no great surprise they're set to be replaced, especially as DTV pointed out unless having a near identical set they'd need to be removed. I imagine technology has also changed and improved slightly in the past decade.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

The usual slightly misleading headlines from the papers. The BBC haven't decided to replace their cameras because of a few errors, they're coming up on 10 years old and new sets are being installed.

Surely a more interesting headline would be something along the lines of "BBC spends MILLIONS destroying old studio - and the new one looks the SAME"
[-] The following 2 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, Nige

I struggle to see what they’ll do in E. It’s an amazing studio as it is, but it is terribly cramped and they’re limited as to what they can do in there.

It’s a mystery to me why they didn’t make it bigger - especially with a higher ceiling. There’s nothing above it currently, such a waste.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • UTVLifer

(28-12-2022, 11:16 PM)Moz Wrote:  I struggle to see what they’ll do in E. It’s an amazing studio as it is, but it is terribly cramped and they’re limited as to what they can do in there.

It’s a mystery to me why they didn’t make it bigger - especially with a higher ceiling. There’s nothing above it currently, such a waste.
Studio E is only slightly smaller than Studio C and its newsroom view gives it more visual depth than any other news studio in the UK; I certainly wouldn't view it as cramped or claustrophobic. While you could obviously not fit a set on the scale of B, you could almost certainly get three presentation areas in there if you tried (a mock up I tried a few months ago managed to comfortably fit a B-style desk, standing area and catwalk in with enough room for a B-style camera system (though I'd prefer Shotoku fully robotic peds as they give greater flexibility, would clutter up the picture less and on aesthetic grounds)).

E does admittedly have a fairly low ceiling as studios go, though this is actually unavoidable given E is literally below the main entrance to the newsroom. A low ceiling can be limiting, but it's not particularly an issue outside wide shots (which are fairly rare on a news channel). I would argue that the depth that E gives you in close and medium shots compensates several times over for the loss of height in wide shots.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, ginnyfan, Kojak

I’m surprised to learn that Studio E is actually smaller than Studio C! You learn something every day.

The REAL newsroom backdrop clearly gives an impression of a bigger space.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak, UTVLifer

(28-12-2022, 11:45 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(28-12-2022, 11:16 PM)Moz Wrote:  I struggle to see what they’ll do in E. It’s an amazing studio as it is, but it is terribly cramped and they’re limited as to what they can do in there.

Studio E is only slightly smaller than Studio C and its newsroom view gives it more visual depth than any other news studio in the UK; I certainly wouldn't view it as cramped or claustrophobic. While you could obviously not fit a set on the scale of B, you could almost certainly get three presentation areas in there if you tried (a mock up I tried a few months ago managed to comfortably fit a B-style desk, standing area and catwalk in with enough room for a B-style camera system (though I'd prefer Shotoku fully robotic peds as they give greater flexibility, would clutter up the picture less and on aesthetic grounds)).

E does admittedly have a fairly low ceiling as studios go, though this is actually unavoidable given E is literally below the main entrance to the newsroom. A low ceiling can be limiting, but it's not particularly an issue outside wide shots (which are fairly rare on a news channel). I would argue that the depth that E gives you in close and medium shots compensates several times over for the loss of height in wide shots.

Oh I thought Studio E was *behind* the NBH main entrance and all that was above was a viewing area with sofas.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

Looking at this image here from the Alamy Picture Library of the New Broadcasting House extension before being kitted out ...

[Image: bbc-broadcasting-house-phase-2-idsrshepp...CCD1JN.jpg]

... does this give away any clues as to the headway in Studio E by any chance?

(29-12-2022, 03:07 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  I’m surprised to learn that Studio E is actually smaller than Studio C! You learn something every day.

Wall-to-wall Studio E is about 14m x 11m (which is almost identical in size and shape to N6 at TVC), though not wholly rectangular. Studio C is slightly longer at 15m x 11m (with A being an exact mirror image of C). There's not much in it, but, as you say, the real newsroom backdrop gives you that depth that you don't get in a regular studio.

(29-12-2022, 09:34 AM)Moz Wrote:  Oh I thought Studio E was *behind* the NBH main entrance and all that was above was a viewing area with sofas.
Nope, the viewing area is only over the front part of the studio. The red column that runs through the centre of the reception area is the same one that creates the indent in Studio E's backwall. The rightmost revolving door into the newsroom is roughly directly above the desk.

[Image: main.jpg]

(29-12-2022, 10:28 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Looking at this image here from the Alamy Picture Library of the New Broadcasting House extension before being kitted out does this give away any clues as to the headway in Studio E by any chance?
The studio windows onto the newsroom are about 2.65m high but there is a bit of extra space within the studio that takes up the studio ceiling to about 3m - giving the studio a similar headway to N8.

(29-12-2022, 11:05 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(29-12-2022, 03:07 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  I’m surprised to learn that Studio E is actually smaller than Studio C! You learn something every day.

Wall-to-wall Studio E is about 14m x 11m (which is almost identical in size and shape to N6 at TVC), though not wholly rectangular. Studio C is slightly longer at 15m x 11m (with A being an exact mirror image of C). There's not much in it, but, as you say, the real newsroom backdrop gives you that depth that you don't get in a regular studio.

(29-12-2022, 09:34 AM)Moz Wrote:  Oh I thought Studio E was *behind* the NBH main entrance and all that was above was a viewing area with sofas.
Nope, the viewing area is only over the front part of the studio. The red column that runs through the centre of the reception area is the same one that creates the indent in Studio E's backwall. The rightmost revolving door into the newsroom is roughly directly above the desk.

[Image: main.jpg]

(29-12-2022, 10:28 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Looking at this image here from the Alamy Picture Library of the New Broadcasting House extension before being kitted out does this give away any clues as to the headway in Studio E by any chance?
The studio windows onto the newsroom are about 2.65m high but there is a bit of extra space within the studio that takes up the studio ceiling to about 3m - giving the studio a similar headway to N8.

That was the old BBC News 24 and then BBC World News studio back at TVC wasn't it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • chris

(29-12-2022, 11:27 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  That was the old BBC News 24 and then BBC World News studio back at TVC wasn't it?

Yes, N8 was home to BBC News 24 from September 1998 to April 2008 and BBC World News from July 2008 to January 2013 (as well as the 21:30 half-hour on BBC News until March).
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • AaronLancs, bkman1990
Thread Closed