Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(30-12-2022, 05:54 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  The nightly paper review on BBC News will no longer run from 3 January prior to the merger of BBC News & BBC World News:

www.bbc.co.uk 

Although I think broadcast media devotes too much air time to reviewing newspaper front pages - this will no doubt have a negative impact on viewing figures.

And a boost for Sky News and GB News, who both have newspaper reviews, with Sky News probably the leader in it, they usually had the best newspaper reviews for years in my opinion.

It’s such a shame to see the NC essentially dying a slow death. I wouldn’t call myself an avid newspaper reader, but I always enjoyed seeing The Papers whenever I could.

Do the BBC not realise that people who watch the news channel actually *like* what’s on it?
[-] The following 6 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • BBI45, bkman1990, Jayesyn, Richard H, Universal_r, UTVLifer

So essentially that means there won't be a separate on duty presenter for the NC in the evenings.

I do enjoy The Papers and the banter between the presenter and guests so will be sad to see it go. Another nail in the coffin.

I wonder would they continue with the Ten presenter for another few hours in Studio B until the overnight simulcast?

(30-12-2022, 06:15 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I wonder would they continue with the Ten presenter for another few hours in Studio B until the overnight simulcast?

Given that they didn't even use the Ten presenter to present the full hour when it was explictly marketed as the Ten O'Clock Newshour, I doubt they'd be looking to do it in this case. If they really wanted to keep a late night TV paper review, I would say it would make most sense to extend Newsnight by fifteen minutes and do it there - they used to end with newspaper frontpages anyway.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Kojak

Not sure if this is true but ive heard that Studio E is going to get renovated, My guess is that they would move the BBC News at One to Studio A temporarily if that was the case as well as the BBC News Channel broadcasts.

Seems a poor move this. The paper review is one of the appointment to view elements of the news channel and I would assume rates fairly highly compared to the rolling news. A paper review also is a staple of any news channel and it’s odd to think of the BBC not having this.

Is there really no way of keeping this going? Could it come from Studio B for example once they go to the regions?

Does this mean one of the news channel/World shifts ends in a few days? The paper review seemed to be a significant part of it so will the back half hour be pre-records?

(30-12-2022, 06:34 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Does this mean one of the news channel/World shifts ends in a few days? The paper review seemed to be a significant part of it so will the back half hour be pre-records?
Reminds me of the ITV News Channel, who used a some recorded news programmes in their schedules, especially from 2004 to 2005. 

I remember the overnight ITV News Channel from 1.00am - 5.30am was simply constantly replaying their ITV News at 10.30 programme or repeating the 11.00pm hour of news through the night. And for some unknown reason they replayed the 5.30am Morning News at 6.00am and 6.30am. 

BBC News could be heading that way

poor move by the BBC to axe the Paper Review.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ConorW2000's post:
  • MLehon
Thread Closed