Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Bye bye BBC News and the BBC. It was good while it lasted for 100 years. Who needs the Tories when the BBC is excellent at destroying itself from within?
[-] The following 1 user Likes CF1's post:
  • MLehon

(30-12-2022, 06:29 PM)thomalex Wrote:  Is there really no way of keeping this going? Could it come from Studio B for example once they go to the regions?
BBC London comes from B for the 6.30pm and 10.30pm bulletins.

Personally whilst I did sometimes watch The Papers I'm not surprised it's being axed. I imagine it's a fairly easy cost saving of a presenter and presumably any fees/costs paid to guests. I wonder if either the Ten or Newsnight will slip in a quick 20-30 second look at the Papers in the short term, though neither were mentioned in that press release.

Interestingly the BBC's own schedule pages have yet to fully reflect this. Whilst the 23.30 to midnight papers slot has various programmes in that half hour (from 3rd Jan), the earlier 22.30 to 22.45 slot is still listed as The Papers. I'm guessing this slot will be replaced with Asia Business Report, which is of the same duration.

Whilst someone suggested about the News at One coming from A when E gets refurbished I imagine it's more likely to come from D with BBC London being moved into A for 1.30pm. That way D can be used for non-simulcast news channel broadcasts.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • bkman1990

(30-12-2022, 06:24 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(30-12-2022, 06:15 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I wonder would they continue with the Ten presenter for another few hours in Studio B until the overnight simulcast?

Given that they didn't even use the Ten presenter to present the full hour when it was explictly marketed as the Ten O'Clock Newshour, I doubt they'd be looking to do it in this case. If they really wanted to keep a late night TV paper review, I would say it would make most sense to extend Newsnight by fifteen minutes and do it there - they used to end with newspaper frontpages anyway.

I like the idea of extending Newsnight to include a paper review. It wouldn't surprise me if a Newsnight simulcast is on the cards once again for BBC News.

Shoddy move in my opinion. The Paper Review, whilst revolving around (as the name suggests) the newspapers, is essentially a review of the next day's big stories. That's why it's so popular.

I think Sky will benefit quite a lot from this, whilst GB News also may pick up numbers if there are viewers interested in their more comedic-style approach (I believe the slot rates fairly highly in comparison to other shows on the channel as it is).
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVViewer256's post:
  • MLehon

(30-12-2022, 07:42 PM)CF1 Wrote:  Bye bye BBC News and the BBC. It was good while it lasted for 100 years. Who needs the Tories when the BBC is excellent at destroying itself from within?

I'm willing to put a significant amount of money on the fact that, if the BBC is destroyed, it will not be the axing of a paper review on one of their lesser used channels that is the final straw. That is unless the presenter of the final edition decides to use it as a platform to start a coup, though I suspect the odds of that happening are fairly low.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, BN88, chris, Frances, Happy2001, Jeff, neonemesis, Roger Darthwell, TVFan

The fact that people are indicating that there are 2 alternatives for viewers to turn to suggests that there maybe isn’t a need for BBC News to do a paper review in the first place.

I'd hardly call the paper review during Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg a paper review.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

Was Martine Croxall consulted about these changes beforehand as the she is main presenter of The Papers and union rep for the BBC News journalists. If she made a response on Twitter about the plans being published on the BBC website.

She, although probably in secret, would not be too happy about this decision being made to axe The Papers. It does mean that this move count as less screen time for her to be on the NC throughout the week if she agrees to do it in future.

If she had got the ultimatum from the BBC that this slot was not going to last as of next week; what does this do to maintain her career at the BBC. Does she actually want to stay with the BBC or does she want to go on to work with another news broadcaster in the UK?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Rolling News

There is a good argument that the sheer number of newspaper reviews across the BBC, let alone on rival networks, gives papers a disproportionate influence on the broadcast news agenda.

There was of course a time politicians lived in fear of what certain papers would put on their front page and policy would be framed accordingly. Today, much less so. Even my parents who are well into the 70s and bought a daily paper for as long as I can remember have stopped doing so.

As GB News, Sky News and Talk TV all run paper reviews at the same time, plus those on Times Radio etc, this is something that the BBC doesn't need to do. But of course, this move is driven by cost cutting what is already a relatively inexpensive way of filling airtime.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • chris

Don't think fair to mention Martine in particular, she does a variety of slots and The Paper Review has so many presenters these days
[-] The following 4 users Like matthew's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, MLehon, Newsroom
Thread Closed