Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(30-12-2022, 09:52 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Was Martine Croxall consulted about these changes beforehand as the she is main presenter of The Papers and union rep for the BBC News journalists. If she made a response on Twitter about the plans being published on the BBC website.

She, although probably in secret, would not be too happy about this decision being made to axe The Papers. It does mean that this move count as less screen time for her to be on the NC throughout the week if she agrees to do it in future.

If she had got the ultimatum from the BBC that this slot was not going to last as of next week; what does this do to maintain her career at the BBC. Does she actually want to stay with the BBC or does she want to go on to work with another news broadcaster in the UK?

Martine appears in many other slots on the News Channel just as much as The Papers so should be fine (for now). More often than not it seems to be freelancers who cover The Papers.

Back in the day (before the pandemic) the morning NC/WN simulcast programme 'The Briefing' used to include a very good international newspaper review together with a studio guest commentator. 

The segment had the same title sequence and intro music, but was called 'In the news', as presumably 'The Papers' doesn't mean anything to an international audience.  I don't see why they can't just resurrect that idea, I used to find it very interesting, and not something offered by the other news channels.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Frances, JamesWorldNews, Jeff

(30-12-2022, 10:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Back in the day (before the pandemic) the morning NC/WN simulcast programme 'The Briefing' used to include a very good international newspaper review together with a studio guest commentator. 

The segment had the same title sequence and intro music, but was called 'In the news', as presumably 'The Papers' doesn't mean anything to an international audience.  I don't see why they can't just resurrect that idea, I used to find it very interesting, and not something offered by the other news channels.

I think this predated The Briefing - I recall that fifteen minute segment being a global paper review during the TVC days, in which case I assume it dates back to when they shortened the 05:30 World Business Report to 15 minutes. I also seem to recall Newsday having a brief global frontpages segment at one point.

As you say, an international paper review (with maybe a slight UK skew) could easily fit in on the new channel, while also being something distinctive. And, as I suggested earlier, an extended Newsnight could easily accommodate a review at the end - they already take a preview of the next day's frontpages and could even use guests previously on that night's programme if the minute appearance fees are really that much of a burden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Stuart

Have we heard what will replace the papers? Are we thinking something like Newsnight shown on BBC News or World News America?

(31-12-2022, 12:53 AM)Chud Wrote:  Have we heard what will replace the papers? Are we thinking something like Newsnight shown on BBC News or World News America?

Freeview lisitings show back half programme fillers.
The last ThePapers is on Monday.

Also, what about Sportsday, which usually comes on after The Papers on Monday-Friday?

There was no mention of that being axed, but that's another strand (sports news) that's being eroded.

(30-12-2022, 10:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Back in the day (before the pandemic) the morning NC/WN simulcast programme 'The Briefing' used to include a very good international newspaper review together with a studio guest commentator. 

In the News was introduced before The Briefing, then became News Briefing.

Unfortunately, despite what people may hope for when it comes to presenters, if the merger plans go ahead as planned, a whole load of newsreaders are up for the chop and will be struggling to find replacement work at the BBC with all the wider cuts in general. BBC News is being cut to the bone, late evenings and overnights won't be in London.

Nothing against Martine although I think her being too vocal on this plus the recent mishap may already have put her in the exit box. But we will have to see at the end of the day, there are still going to be a few more months left before we learn where people are going. I seem to have read a few months ago about a possible strike but the Queen's death seemed to have put that to bed for now.

I've never understood why they felt the need to show what their rivals are reporting. It doesn't happen with any other medium - You don't get the newspapers going through what News at 10 reported last night. There aren't radio programmes flicking through what's on Buzzfeed today

TV is the superior news medium, instantaneous and up to date, a lot of newspaper content isn't even news. The influence of newspapers over the public discourse has long been too high, but thankfully its declining along with their readership. About time TV, particularly the BBC ditched it's obsession with newspapers.... they don't return the favour, quite the opposite

It's more expensive than just another half hour of rolling news. Those guests don't do it for free, the bits of newspaper they're looking at don't appear without some production effort
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Pips2022, TVFan

As sorry as I am to see The Papers axed this this, it's really not that shocking of the current news management at the BBC, I'm not neither shocked that they've pushed this news out on such a bizarre date. They've obviously known this was on the cards for a while. It'll gain little to no traction and there just won't be enough time for any party to act in order to save it.

The way things are heading there'll be very little in terms of back half hour content of much interest to a UK audience.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, Superman1986
Thread Closed