Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(31-12-2022, 09:06 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  As sorry as I am to see The Papers axed this this, it's really not that shocking of the current news management at the BBC, I'm not neither shocked that they've pushed this news out on such a bizarre date. They've obviously known this was on the cards for a while. It'll gain little to no traction and there just won't be enough time for any party to act in order to save it.

The way things are heading there'll be very little in terms of back half hour content of much interest to a UK audience.
You're talking about this as if it's a major much loved programme. It's not, it's niche rolling news filler that is barely watched. The papers won't like it as it's a bit of free publicity for them, but that's one of the reasons why it should go

It's 2023, who cares what the front pages of the dead trees say tomorrow? Most of it is just the same as the TV news has been broadcasting all day?

(31-12-2022, 09:45 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 09:06 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  As sorry as I am to see The Papers axed this this, it's really not that shocking of the current news management at the BBC, I'm not neither shocked that they've pushed this news out on such a bizarre date. They've obviously known this was on the cards for a while. It'll gain little to no traction and there just won't be enough time for any party to act in order to save it.

The way things are heading there'll be very little in terms of back half hour content of much interest to a UK audience.
You're talking about this as if it's a major much loved programme. It's not, it's niche rolling news filler that is barely watched. The papers won't like it as it's a bit of free publicity for them, but that's one of the reasons why it should go
I'm not acting like anything at all. You are among a handful of people here that appear hell bent on supporting the constant stripping of what is a much loved channel. If you're happy with all the changes already implemented and due to follow then I'm very happy for you.

Like many many forumers here, new and old, we do find it quite sad to see the demise of what has been a staple part of our existence. If there was meaningful explanation behind it all then I'll happily take it on board. The ongoing removal of segments many people do watch leaves a channel almost unrecognisable.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, Jayesyn, thePineapple, Universal_r

(31-12-2022, 09:53 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'm not acting like anything at all. You are among a handful of people here that appear hell bent on supporting the constant stripping of what is a much loved channel. If you're happy with all the changes already implemented and due to follow then I'm very happy for you.

Like many many forumers here, new and old, we do find it quite sad to see the demise of what has been a staple part of our existence. If there was meaningful explanation behind it all then I'll happily take it on board. The ongoing removal of segments many people do watch leaves a channel almost unrecognisable.
Absolutely not, I'm opposed to any cuts, unlike most on this forum my job depends on the BBC having as many services as possible. If it was up to me we'd have totally seperate news channels. But there has to be savings somewhere. 

My point is that it's one little watched segment late at night on the news channel, the way you and some others are talking it's like they've axed the 6 o Clock news or EastEnders. It's not 'shocking', it's not a sign that the BBCs being 'destroyed' (if anything you'd have thought the government friendly, Fleet Street friendly senior management would want to keep it!) 

The reasons are obvious aren't they? It's a UK-centric segment on what won't be a UK-centric channel. What's more than that it's a more expensive segment than regular news and barely anyone watches it. The cutting has to come from somewhere, Paper reviews are unnecessary, they're not news and so are an easy cut.
[-] The following 12 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • all new phil, chevron, DTV, eyeTV, Jeff, Jimbo2022, neonemesis, Scarbados, SunburntRock89, Transmission, TVFan, Will

I see your point. It may not get many viewers given its length if 15 minutes then 30 the next hour.

People will comment on it in various ways. But it probably saves a shift so technically the UK element winds down at 1800 rather than midnight do saving the BBC the cost if an evening shift that has seemingly nothing else in it as BBC world us related from 1900 and sport cones from Salford at 1830.

Looks like Outside Source will be at the usual time and Context at 2100..Asia Business Report does go out at 2230 and 2330 for 25 minutes each so we will probably see that instead.

The TVs reliance on newspapers is a curious thing

Firstly it's not a controversial opinion that the British Press on the whole are a stain on the fabric of the country. A bunch of deplorables that manipulate and bully on behalf of their billionaire owners who are desperate to hold on to their influence.

Newspapers have an inherant flaw that they are out of date as soon as they are printed. Television is an instantaneous medium. The web is even more immediate. Yet the papers drive the news agendas of both.

Sometimes, yes, a paper will get a genuine exclusive (I mean actual news, not celebrity gossip) and that is worth following up. But that's getting less and less, if you think the BBC has been cut to the bone then you should see what's been happening to Fleet Street

So the papers report in what happened the day before and then the likes of This Morning use those for their topical items the next morning... but its a day out of date. Its even worse with 'viral' web content, something that goes viral on Monday will be noticed by the papers on Tuesday, in their papers that night.... and then shown on TV in Wednesday morning!

Why should TV care what the newspapers say and review them every evening? Those few who still buy papers will still buy their favourite tomorrow. As I say they never do the same the other way, in fact the newspapers with their dwindling resources leech a lot of their content from TV, we all know the sort of clickbait nonsense.

The BBC promote the papers, the papers bash the BBC!
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • eyeTV, Kojak, SunburntRock89

Seems they decided to stick with keeping the news half hourly despite the death of the former Pope Benedict XVI, would have thought they would have kept it going for the time being rather than just end it there. News Channel is showing Weather World right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Renap's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

Strange. But yes I agree. Newspapers are somewhat outbid date. Sometimes they do get stuff from Westminster you don't know about.

But the speaker complains every time that happens. But what he forgets it us not 1850 any more and television news and radio us where you get the most up to date news.

With the proposals, The Papers stood out as an element which is quite resource intensive. If you imagine there is a producer needed to source commentators, line up talking points, some background, and then prepare resources etc you can begin to see why it might appear as a ‘quick win’ to streamline what is being produced and where.

That said, I do think it’s a bit sad. If you think back to the very inception of BBC News, you’ll be reminded that there used to be an embargo on when BBC News could report a story, so not to challenge newspapers too clearly. Obviously those days are long gone but I’ve always quite liked the symbiotic relationship The Papers captured. It also provided some much needed texture to what is, otherwise, quite a rigid format for evenings.

So: perhaps not too surprising given how deep the cuts are but still sad to see a nice segment disappear.
[-] The following 5 users Like Matrix's post:
  • bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, Jeff, Jimbo2022, Universal_r

Noticed the late evening news is on at 9:30 tonight – a relatively rare occurrence for it to be shifted forward rather than back in the schedule.
[-] The following 2 users Like Axolotl's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

A rare Saturday appearance from Sophie today on the national bulletins.
Thread Closed