Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(22-08-2022, 03:08 PM)DTV Wrote:  My assumption has been that D is being prepared for the BBC News channel to decamp to while a new set is installed in E. It seems unlikely they are upgrading it for London if they are moving into B in a few months. I'm not sure of the timetable with the new Breakfast/Sport set (it's nearly three months since Sport moved out (though I do think I prefer their temporary set to their prior one!)), but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until that is complete to begin the next step of the NBH studio shuffle - you don't want too many temporary set-ups on the go at once.

I thought I'd seen a tweet which suggested the Breakfast/Sport studio wouldn't be ready till next year. It looks like a significant job - creating the space, tech install, set build and then all the testing for both Sport and Breakfast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • Superman1986

(23-08-2022, 08:21 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(22-08-2022, 03:08 PM)DTV Wrote:  My assumption has been that D is being prepared for the BBC News channel to decamp to while a new set is installed in E. It seems unlikely they are upgrading it for London if they are moving into B in a few months. I'm not sure of the timetable with the new Breakfast/Sport set (it's nearly three months since Sport moved out (though I do think I prefer their temporary set to their prior one!)), but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until that is complete to begin the next step of the NBH studio shuffle - you don't want too many temporary set-ups on the go at once.

I thought I'd seen a tweet which suggested the Breakfast/Sport studio wouldn't be ready till next year. It looks like a significant job - creating the space, tech install, set build and then all the testing for both Sport and Breakfast.

Yep, exactly right - Spring was the last I heard

(23-08-2022, 09:57 PM)steve Wrote:  
(23-08-2022, 08:21 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I thought I'd seen a tweet which suggested the Breakfast/Sport studio wouldn't be ready till next year. It looks like a significant job - creating the space, tech install, set build and then all the testing for both Sport and Breakfast.

Yep, exactly right - Spring was the last I heard

I'm not doubting this, but really‽ That's at least ten months, even longer than the Studio B refit (and part of that was because of developing and testing wholly new tech). I get that news sets are more complex these days and they like a longer period of piloting than they used to, but some of these studio refits these days seem to take an awfully long time. The 2006 N6 refit took three weeks, and that included installation and calibration of the first Barco videowalls, replacing of cameras, as well as piloting. I'm sure there are reasons for it and they are probably doing extra sound proofing of the space etc. for Breakfast, but it just feels long.

I guess that explains why Sport put so much work into the temporary set-up, it's going to end up in use nearly as long as some 'permanent' sets!

That's right. Spring 2023 for the new studio in Salford.

(23-08-2022, 10:17 PM)DTV Wrote:  I'm not doubting this, but really‽ That's at least ten months, 

I think the difference here is that in Salford they are needing to do significant structural work - effectively building a new studio, not just a new set. The work in Studio B was just a new set build.

(24-08-2022, 03:45 PM)neonemesis Wrote:  
(23-08-2022, 10:17 PM)DTV Wrote:  I'm not doubting this, but really‽ That's at least ten months, 

I think the difference here is that in Salford they are needing to do significant structural work - effectively building a new studio, not just a new set. The work in Studio B was just a new set build.

So are they enclosing the space, effectively turning it into a walled studio? My assumption was more of a newsroom set, so I guess, if so, this would explain why it would need to take that long.

(24-08-2022, 04:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(24-08-2022, 03:45 PM)neonemesis Wrote:  

So are they enclosing the space, effectively turning it into a walled studio? My assumption was more of a newsroom set, so I guess, if so, this would explain why it would need to take that long.

I should have stated that I don't have any insider information beyond what I had heard in the pink place, but that was my understanding.

Some behind-the-scenes shots of Studio B from filming for The Capture - before the old set was dismantled.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • Stuart, TVFan

Something that’s long been dreamt of but is only a reality in fiction - Studio B at NBH being home to BBC Breakfast…

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Critique's post:
  • chris, Jayesyn, MFTJA, Stuart

(28-08-2022, 09:42 PM)Critique Wrote:  Something that’s long been dreamt of but is only a reality in fiction - Studio B at NBH being home to BBC Breakfast…

twitter.com 

How much better this looks with some headroom
Thread Closed