Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(08-01-2023, 12:27 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Went to iPlayer to watch Kuenssberg from the start (I was a few minutes late). The link on the front page took me to the news channel rather than BBC One, which was fine until the annoying cut away. What a ridiculous way of doing things and, with the show on BBC One already having finished, no way to continue watching the show until it appears later.
You can rewind the BBC One feed can’t you?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • CF1, Rolling News

(08-01-2023, 09:08 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  When are sports bulletins on the news channel other than Sportsday?
After the half-past headlines I think, all through morning and into the afternoon on weekdays.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • Jimbo2022

(08-01-2023, 12:44 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(08-01-2023, 12:27 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Went to iPlayer to watch Kuenssberg from the start (I was a few minutes late). The link on the front page took me to the news channel rather than BBC One, which was fine until the annoying cut away. What a ridiculous way of doing things and, with the show on BBC One already having finished, no way to continue watching the show until it appears later.
You can rewind the BBC One feed can’t you?

Don’t think so? I know you used to be able to but I’m sure you can now only restart the current programme.

(08-01-2023, 12:40 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  

That also appears to be new that there is a strict cut-off at 0959:30 but Laura's show ended 5 minutes later than it used to. Strange.

It’s very silly and doesn’t serve the viewer well at all. If they’re watching the show then they’re watching the show.

(08-01-2023, 03:44 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(08-01-2023, 12:44 PM)Jon Wrote:  You can rewind the BBC One feed can’t you?

Don’t think so? I know you used to be able to but I’m sure you can now only restart the current programme.

I think it depends on the platform. On the mobile app I can rewind up to 2 hours, on my TV app I can only go back as far as the start of the current programme.

(08-01-2023, 12:27 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Went to iPlayer to watch Kuenssberg from the start (I was a few minutes late). The link on the front page took me to the news channel rather than BBC One, which was fine until the annoying cut away. What a ridiculous way of doing things and, with the show on BBC One already having finished, no way to continue watching the show until it appears later.

I watched it on the iPlayer this mornng, but I clicked on channels, and went to BBC 1 and watched it from there and there wasn't any cut away. Seems odd that the link on homepage takes you to the News Channel rather than BBC 1.

One thing I noticed wathcing online with headphones on, was the terrible sound quality in the studio sections. There was a slight echo and hum throughout them all. Not noticed those when I've watched on TV, rather than online.

(08-01-2023, 06:36 PM)NickyBoy Wrote:  

I watched it on the iPlayer this mornng, but I clicked on channels, and went to BBC 1 and watched it from there and there wasn't any cut away. Seems odd that the link on homepage takes you to the News Channel rather than BBC 1.

One thing I noticed wathcing online with headphones on, was the terrible sound quality in the studio sections. There was a slight echo and hum throughout them all. Not noticed those when I've watched on TV, rather than online.
There was definitely a problem with the sound this morning. You didn’t need headphones to notice it either. Watching on our small kitchen telly, the background noise was particularly noticeable when Pat Cullen was speaking. It sounded like her mic wasn’t working properly or it was picking up some kind of interference.

Regardless of simulcasting or not, it is undeniably poor how inflexible both BBC News channels are at weekends. With the developing story in Brazil, did we really need to take at 20:30 the seventh repeat this weekend of an episode of The Travel Show? I know that Latin America is one of the BBC's weak spots, but this is the kind of story where people actually go to flick on the News channel to see what is happening. It's just borderline inexcusable how the two channels basically run on autopilot at weekends with no consideration for the kinds of editorial judgement that would be made during the week.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Roger Darthwell, Vernonbarns

I remember back when the ITV News Channel existed in their 2004/05 period, their weekend news offering was way better than BBC News 24 as it was known back then.

BBC News 24 at weekends had the usual half hour bulletins followed by recorded material, whereas over on the ITV News Channel they had constant rolling news and simulcast ITV1 News from 7.00am until Midnight, much better than BBC News 24, so this attitude of the BBC News channel goes way back even to 2004/05.

One of the things I've always disliked about the news channel, the absolutely dire back half hour programmes they put out at weekends, bank holidays and overnights. As I've often heard people on here say, quite often they're not even relevent to a UK audience- which is going to be a huge problem for the news channel in general from now on.

(08-01-2023, 10:43 PM)James2001 Wrote:  One of the things I've always disliked about the news channel, the absolutely dire back half hour programmes they put out at weekends, bank holidays and overnights. As I've often heard people on here say, quite often they're not even relevent to a UK audience- which is going to be a huge problem for the news channel in general from now on.
I have always quite liked the back-half-hour programmes such as Click, the Travel Show, Media Show, HARDtalk, World Business Report etc.  I am looking forward to perhaps seeing more that was previously restricted to just WN.

The reason why the ITN/ITV News Channel failed is because it was just rolling news ad nauseam, with very little else. They couldn't keep a viewer for more than 15 minutes.

Sky News throws in variety with specific programming at different times of day.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, Scratch_Perry
Thread Closed