Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(08-01-2023, 11:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I have always quite liked the back-half-hour programmes such as Click, the Travel Show, Media Show, HARDtalk, World Business Report etc.  I am looking forward to perhaps seeing more that was previously restricted to just WN.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to pre-recorded programming point blank, it's just the near-total inflexibility with the scheduling and the constant repitition that frustrates me. Yes, most weekends are fairly light on news, but, when big news does break or there is a developing story, they should be dropping these programmes to bring you the latest. I also don't think there is a need to repeat something every hour, particularly when the programme has been shown multiple times that day - if you want those shows to be appointment-to-view, it'd be better to schedule them more clearly and less frequently.

I also feel there could be a bit more creativity with what is offered in some back half hours. When News 24 started, late Saturday afternoons and early evenings were dedicated to sport. There's no real reason that you couldn't offer greater sports news on weekends now - BBC Sport are prepped for a few bulletins, why not have a stronger and longer sport service?

(08-01-2023, 11:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(08-01-2023, 10:43 PM)James2001 Wrote:  One of the things I've always disliked about the news channel, the absolutely dire back half hour programmes they put out at weekends, bank holidays and overnights. As I've often heard people on here say, quite often they're not even relevent to a UK audience- which is going to be a huge problem for the news channel in general from now on.
I have always quite liked the back-half-hour programmes such as Click, the Travel Show, Media Show, HARDtalk, World Business Report etc.  I am looking forward to perhaps seeing more that was previously restricted to just WN.

The reason why the ITN/ITV News Channel failed is because it was just rolling news ad nauseam, with very little else. They couldn't keep a viewer for more than 15 minutes.

Sky News throws in variety with specific programming at different times of day.
The back half hours have always been somewhat of an issue, and not just for BBC News.  Lots of news channels air some kind of feature programming outside of those major viewing times, when the news takes up the full hour.  And they vary in quality so widely.  Some editions of HARDtalk are boring as hell.  Others are fascinating.  As with any episodic television, it's difficult to produce consistently good material all the time, some editions just aren't going to be as good. 

Honestly, I struggle with most of the back half hours, whether it's on BBC News, Al Jazeera or anywhere else.  Most just feel like filler, but some are worth the time to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cityprod's post:
  • thePineapple

(08-01-2023, 11:31 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(08-01-2023, 11:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I have always quite liked the back-half-hour programmes such as Click, the Travel Show, Media Show, HARDtalk, World Business Report etc.  I am looking forward to perhaps seeing more that was previously restricted to just WN.

The reason why the ITN/ITV News Channel failed is because it was just rolling news ad nauseam, with very little else. They couldn't keep a viewer for more than 15 minutes.

Sky News throws in variety with specific programming at different times of day.
The back half hours have always been somewhat of an issue, and not just for BBC News.  Lots of news channels air some kind of feature programming outside of those major viewing times, when the news takes up the full hour.  And they vary in quality so widely.  Some editions of HARDtalk are boring as hell.  Others are fascinating.  As with any episodic television, it's difficult to produce consistently good material all the time, some editions just aren't going to be as good. 

Honestly, I struggle with most of the back half hours, whether it's on BBC News, Al Jazeera or anywhere else.  Most just feel like filler, but some are worth the time to watch.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here. Features are often a nice (read: essential) way of padding out what is otherwise quite a repetitive flow of news. 

It’s tricky and I definitely wonder, at times, whether the current top crop (Click, Travel Show, and Hard Talk) is the best for a magazine style - but then what else. 

I suppose the challenge is getting the right mix between genuinely rolling news and then structured (and varied) programming when it’s not rolling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matrix's post:
  • cityprod

Click used to be essential viewing here, but I can't stand the Spencer and Lara pairing. It just doesn't work for me.

Another thing with the back half hour filler is that they're on iPlayer, so if you really want to watch The Travel Show, Hardtalk or Click, they're all there anyway.

Joanna Gosling and Tim Willcox are also following David Eades and leaving the BBC ahead of the News channels merger:

deadline.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, London Lite, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(11-01-2023, 02:58 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Joanna Gosling and Tim Willcox are also following David Eades and leaving the BBC ahead of the News channels merger:

deadline.com 

A very sorry affair for all those involved. I can't say I'd be too happy about being asked to do a screen test after decades of service and a tremendous track record at Breaking News. Good on them for departing.
[-] The following 9 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AJB39, BBI45, bkman1990, chris, interestednovice, newsguy, Rolling News, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

(11-01-2023, 02:58 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Joanna Gosling and Tim Willcox are also following David Eades and leaving the BBC ahead of the News channels merger:

deadline.com 

It’s not surprising and I can’t blame them for leaving given the circumstances. I hope we get to see them elsewhere as I like all 3 presenters.
[-] The following 5 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Jeff, Rolling News, UTVLifer

It will be sad to see them go but I don’t blame them in the slightest.

I never really had a chance to see the fabulous David Eades, but I’ve always liked Tim and Joanna ever since I use to watch them do the evening shift in N8 on school nights back in the mid-2000s.
[-] The following 7 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, newsguy, Newsroom, Scratch_Perry, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Sad news, been watching the NC for as long as Joanna has been a presenter!
[-] The following 5 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Rolling News, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

Wow. The best are truly all leaving. Sad I was actually hoping we'll get to see more of these 3 on the new channel.

I seriously have doubts about this, everyone's equal, screen tests, recruitment process. Dodgy We might end up stuck with certain people who leave a lot to be desired, when it comes to presentation and experience/knowledge.

Clearly this will be a whole new channel, with a new line up and none of the current BBC World shows that some assumed would just go on.
[-] The following 4 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom, UTVLifer
Thread Closed