Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Get to ready to see or hear these three presenters probably on Global, who have poached many BBC news presenters recently or on other commercial channels.

GB News or Talk TV might even offer them a job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • UTVLifer

No surprise that two heritage presenters are off. I can see the NC/World merger having the likes of Luxmy Gopal and other younger presenters from the regions on the rota who are cheaper than those with 20 years plus at the BBC.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Scratch_Perry

I reckon the BBC's slow bleeding of talent is going to become something of a haemorrhage in the next few months as a result of this merger, and I think we'll be saying goodbye to a few more heritage presenters from WN (given that the NC has been almost completely gutted at this point)
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Jeff, Scratch_Perry

(11-01-2023, 05:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  No surprise that two heritage presenters are off.    I can see the NC/World merger having the likes of Luxmy Gopal and other younger presenters from the regions on the rota who are cheaper than those with 20 years plus at the BBC.

If they are all being made redundant and applying to be rehired, there will be no “cheaper”. The hires will all be on the same terms. Those leaving are no doubt doing so partly because the new role will have a lesser level of pay and benefits.

(11-01-2023, 06:27 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Those leaving are no doubt doing so partly because the new role will have a lesser level of pay and benefits.

You'd think so, but Gosling is one of the few BBC News channel presenters to be listed in the BBC pay disclosures - which suggest she is in the band earning £155,000 - £159,999. But the Deadline article claim the new presenter role is in a pay band going up to £230,000 - which would be around a 40% pay increase.

(11-01-2023, 07:38 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(11-01-2023, 06:27 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Those leaving are no doubt doing so partly because the new role will have a lesser level of pay and benefits.

You'd think so, but Gosling is one of the few BBC News channel presenters to be listed in the BBC pay disclosures - which suggest she is in the band earning £155,000 - £159,999. But the Deadline article claim the new presenter role is in a pay band going up to £230,000 - which would be around a 40% pay increase.
Please remember, many BBC news presenters and journalists could be on salaries of £150,000 or more, and are not published by the BBC in their annual salaries disclosure, if those journalists have their salaries from the BBC paid to their own production company, which many of them can easily set up. This then ensures their BBC salaries, if more than £150,000 a year will never be disclosed, as it circumnavigates the rules in salary publication - a bit like salaries paid to BBC stars through BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC are never revealed.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite

(11-01-2023, 05:29 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Get to ready to see or hear these three presenters probably on Global, who have poached many BBC news presenters recently or on other commercial channels.

I can actually see Global launching its own service at some point. It’s a colossal company, enormous talent pool and so on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990

If the screen tests involve presenters operating their own autocue does this suggest they might be making that role redundant? I presume in most regions and BBC Sport (news) all require presenters to operate their own.

(11-01-2023, 08:09 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(11-01-2023, 05:29 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Get to ready to see or hear these three presenters probably on Global, who have poached many BBC news presenters recently or on other commercial channels.

I can actually see Global launching its own service at some point. It’s a colossal company, enormous talent pool and so on.
Looking at Global's portfolio, they are the main commercial rival to the BBC in regards to radio at least - if Global ever decided to dip their feet into television, that would be interesting to see. 

You are right, looking at their talent pool, Ashley Tabor-King has a brilliant company there, exceeding Bauer Media. 

To be honest, it is nice seeing the BBC now getting a run for their money, they have had decades of superiority and it is now time for them to have some real competitors.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom

If CNN was smart they could easily snap up these "free-agent" presenters since they have bled so many presenters at CNNi. They could bolster operations at CNN London. BUt alas we know that CNNI is no longer a priority and more. Seems the international news space is being squarely ceded to AJE. CNN has certainly pulled back on CNNi and with the BBC News Merger looming that leaves AJE at full power. (Yes I know BBC will opt-out for big global or national stories, which makes financial sense really)
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • interestednovice, Jeff
Thread Closed