Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

An interesting read from Deadline: Should BBC News bet its future social media presence mainly on TikTok?

Quote:BBC News said this week that it was recruiting four journalists to create a TikTok team within the corporation’s social news unit. “Growing the BBC News TikTok account to make it the biggest and best, both globally and in the UK, is one of News’ main priorities for 2023,” the job ad said.

But senior figures in the newsroom are sceptical amid widespread fears that data stored in China could be accessed by the Communist government. One veteran employee said the BBC was prepared to stomach “data scraping by the Chinese” in order to feed its “obsession with TikTok”.

The source added that journalists have been encouraged to post on TikTok, but some less experienced staff had gone too far and have been pulled up by management for sharing behind-the-scenes footage.

“Some have got themselves into trouble for posting stuff with the BBC brand in the background,” the insider said. “There isn’t enough nuance and safety around what they are posting.” The BBC declined to comment on this issue.

A second insider said: “There are security issues and the role of the Chinese is worrying … I’m a sceptic, but it’s top of the priority list for the new boss and the chairman. Doesn’t feel to me like the best place to reach people who pay a licence fee for our broadcast output.”

Commenting on the timing of the BBC’s investment in TikTok, a third BBC staffer said: “Yeah, not exactly the time to be uncritically throwing resources at a platform.”

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • UTVLifer

The 4am London hour (Monika Plaha) is pre recorded. From Studio E.

And a bit of a messy bulletin......

The 5am Hour with Sally Bundock is coming from Studio E this morning.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

twitter.com 

(12-01-2023, 04:24 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  An interesting read from Deadline: Should BBC News bet its future social media presence mainly on TikTok?
Quote:BBC News said this week that it was recruiting four journalists to create a TikTok team within the corporation’s social news unit. “Growing the BBC News TikTok account to make it the biggest and best, both globally and in the UK, is one of News’ main priorities for 2023,” the job ad said.
This makes complete sense to me. Twitter is all about text, Snapchat is the same with some photos added in, while Facebook and Instagram are focused on photos. I would argue that TikTok is the first true video-based social media platform as while Youtube contains a lot of media, it's lacking in the social element. TikTok is primarily used by younger people too. This makes it a great place to experiment with new styles and also the types of stories covered, things that are successful could always be implemented into TV bulletins and other more traditional platforms.

So with newscasters with decades of experience leaving a channel that could once legitimately claim to be "the UK's most watched news channel", presumably Nicky Campbell will be put through a thorough screen test to see if talking into a static microphone, chatting & nodding along with opinionated listeners, actually makes vaguely interesting television on a TV news channel?

Thought not
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite, Newsroom, Rolling News

(12-01-2023, 12:29 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  So with newscasters with decades of experience leaving a channel that could once legitimately claim to be "the UK's most watched news channel", presumably Nicky Campbell will be put through a thorough screen test to see if talking into a static microphone, chatting & nodding along with opinionated listeners, actually makes vaguely interesting television on a TV news channel?

Thought not

I'm fairly sure that press releases regarding Nicky's show have alluded to a new studio for his programme - which indicates that at the very least, the radio studio he currently presents from will be revamped to a better standard. Also, in recent weeks when the NC has dipped into 5 Live, they have had some visualised callers and they've overlayed pictures on top of the audio, etc, and I'm sure that's what they'll be aiming for with the programme when it launches - don't forget, we don't know the format of the programme yet. Nicky's show might change slightly. It could easily be something a bit like Jeremy Vine on Channel 5 (use of columnists, panel discussion, etc) which is pretty popular.
[-] The following 4 users Like ldnpres's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, Jeff, LDN

(12-01-2023, 04:24 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  An interesting read from Deadline: Should BBC News bet its future social media presence mainly on TikTok?

But senior figures in the newsroom are sceptical amid widespread fears that data stored in China could be accessed by the Communist government. One veteran employee said the BBC was prepared to stomach “data scraping by the Chinese” in order to feed its “obsession with TikTok”.

The source added that journalists have been encouraged to post on TikTok, but some less experienced staff had gone too far and have been pulled up by management for sharing behind-the-scenes footage.

“Some have got themselves into trouble for posting stuff with the BBC brand in the background,” the insider said. “There isn’t enough nuance and safety around what they are posting.” The BBC declined to comment on this issue.

A second insider said: “There are security issues and the role of the Chinese is worrying … I’m a sceptic, but it’s top of the priority list for the new boss and the chairman. Doesn’t feel to me like the best place to reach people who pay a licence fee for our broadcast output.”

Commenting on the timing of the BBC’s investment in TikTok, a third BBC staffer said: “Yeah, not exactly the time to be uncritically throwing resources at a platform.”
It’s a big risk and I think the wrong decision. Creating unneeded tensions with the press and government.

(12-01-2023, 12:56 PM)ldnpres Wrote:  
(12-01-2023, 12:29 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  So with newscasters with decades of experience leaving a channel that could once legitimately claim to be "the UK's most watched news channel", presumably Nicky Campbell will be put through a thorough screen test to see if talking into a static microphone, chatting & nodding along with opinionated listeners, actually makes vaguely interesting television on a TV news channel?

Thought not

I'm fairly sure that press releases regarding Nicky's show have alluded to a new studio for his programme - which indicates that at the very least, the radio studio he currently presents from will be revamped to a better standard. Also, in recent weeks when the NC has dipped into 5 Live, they have had some visualised callers and they've overlayed pictures on top of the audio, etc, and I'm sure that's what they'll be aiming for with the programme when it launches - don't forget, we don't know the format of the programme yet. Nicky's show might change slightly. It could easily be something a bit like Jeremy Vine on Channel 5 (use of columnists, panel discussion, etc) which is pretty popular.
It's not just about the studio they use, or whether they get people to make video calls so we can see them ringing in from their car or living room. 
LBC have a flashy, souped up, TV style studio, but it's still a radio presenter talking into a static mic and nodding along with a caller. 
Nicky Campbell's program will still be a phone-in, getting the public's opinions on the morning's news. And if they do want to bring in politicians or commentators to turn it into a Politics Live style discussion, how many of those will be willing to go to Salford to sit in the studio for that? 

My point is that its supposed to be a TV news channel, and a proper TV news service in UK morning time will still be available for World viewers, so as this will be a new joint World & UK news channel, why not put the TV news service that World viewers will get out in the UK as well?
If the BBC must put Nicky Campbell's show out on TV in the UK, just put it on BBC 2 & iPlayer and put a proper news service out on the news channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • interestednovice

(12-01-2023, 01:55 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  My point is that its supposed to be a TV news channel, and a proper TV news service in UK morning time will still be available for World viewers, so as this will be a new joint World & UK news channel, why not put the TV news service that World viewers will get out in the UK as well?
If the BBC must put Nicky Campbell's show out on TV in the UK, just put it on BBC 2 & iPlayer and put a proper news service out on the news channel.

As I've said before, it's also a really weird decision to waste that two hour slot considering it's BBC World News' deadest hours - so you can afford to be a bit more UK-focussed. Plus, if World take pre-recorded back half hours (as they usually do in that slot), you can dedicate a whole half-hour to UK news.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Independent, interestednovice, Jeff, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple
Thread Closed