Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

I believe it was in reference to this
twitter.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, IanJRedman, Jayesyn, matthew, scottishtv

Did anyone else notice during the Sunday 10 that the VT from Leila Nathoo was in SD?

I can see Huw getting plenty of offers from other networks. He is an immense talent, with the likes of ITV, Channel 4, Sky, LBC offering him large contract deals.

Huw if he did leave would also get his name off the annual BBC salaries publication which I am sure is a big factor in many newsreaders leaving the BBC.

I can see Huw joining Channel 4 News, I think he would really do well in that 7pm slot.

Huw IS the BBC. Fortunately I can't see him going anywhere for at least the next few years.
[-] The following 8 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, ginnyfan, interestednovice, Jayesyn, News76, Newsroom, Roger Darthwell

(16-01-2023, 01:14 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Huw IS the BBC. Fortunately I can't see him going anywhere for at least the next few years.

I agree with you that Huw is very much seen as the 'BBC' and that would've only been cemented during September of last year. He really is in a class of his own.  

However he did say himself that he'd like to see some of his other colleagues have a go at the top job, noting he'd done it for x amount of years.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, News76, Rolling News

Yes I can see Huw taking another BBC role rather than jumping ship.

Exactly how that would look now that Question Time / Sunday mornings are taken I’m not sure. Perhaps “senior news presenter” who does big events, elections, occasional big news days, and maybe a number of documentaries over the year?
[-] The following 3 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Radio_man

(16-01-2023, 11:01 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(16-01-2023, 01:14 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Huw IS the BBC. Fortunately I can't see him going anywhere for at least the next few years.

I agree with you that Huw is very much seen as the 'BBC' and that would've only been cemented during September of last year. He really is in a class of his own.  

However he did say himself that he'd like to see some of his other colleagues have a go at the top job, noting he'd done it for x amount of years.
By 'the top job', Huw was referring to presenting the nightly 10pm news, which he has now done for 20 years. 

He waited patiently for years for Dimbleby to step down as anchor of elections and royal events. Now that Huw has taken over that role on the BBC in the last 5 years, I can't see him giving it up to do a podcast with Global.
If Huw does step down from the 10pm news this year, there isn't any obvious regular presenting slot for him to move to, but he may well be happy with having less regular work and becoming the BBC's senior presenter of major news, political and royal events, elections, and occasional documentaries, as well as maybe doing more work for BBC Wales.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • interestednovice

(16-01-2023, 12:45 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I can see Huw getting plenty of offers from other networks. He is an immense talent, with the likes of ITV, Channel 4, Sky, LBC offering him large contract deals.

Huw if he did leave would also get his name off the annual BBC salaries publication which I am sure is a big factor in many newsreaders leaving the BBC.

I can see Huw joining Channel 4 News, I think he would really do well in that 7pm slot.

I think ITV would only want him if Tom Bradby was leaving/wanted to reduce his roles.

IIRC, the interview where Huw expressed a degree of tiredness at his current role was more aimed at the daily late-night nature of doing the News at Ten every day for twenty years rather than being at the BBC. I expect that, when he leaves the role, it'll be for a simple senior presenter role at the BBC rather than to do bulletins for another broadcaster. It's a shame Marr didn't hang on a bit longer as I think Huw could really have suited the Sunday morning role (in addition to wider chief presenter).

Also, IIRC, the one rumour about him doing non-BBC work was with Classic FM or similar rather than news-related. Perhaps, with a new controller, they might find room for him at Radio 3?
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom

Well Sir Trevor McDonald is now on Classic FM, wouldn't be hard to see Huw possibly decide to leave the BBC for something different, joining Sir Trevor at Classic FM, whilst doing some news work on LBC or elsewhere.

Remember money talks, and also if Huw is his time at 10pm BBC is coming to an end, we could be in for a surprise.
Thread Closed