Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Is he still doing only 3 nights per week on 10?

(16-01-2023, 02:06 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well Sir Trevor McDonald is now on Classic FM, wouldn't be hard to see Huw possibly decide to leave the BBC for something different, joining Sir Trevor at Classic FM, whilst doing some news work on LBC or elsewhere.

Remember money talks, and also if Huw is his time at 10pm BBC is coming to an end, we could be in for a surprise.

Not everyone is motivated by money, especially not when they are towards the end of a very successful career. Whatever other networks are offering, no other network offers the name recognition and exposure that the BBC does. Whether it's for elections, big royal events, major news events, big political events - people always turn to the BBC first. 
Unless he's looking to be particularly outspoken, I can't imagine someone like Huw would reach the pinnacle of their career at the BBC and then leave for a show on Classic FM or an occasional slot on LBC, unless they've really had enough.
[-] The following 5 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, eyeTV, ginnyfan, interestednovice

Not everyone is motivated by ego though. So a lower profile gig for more money might be attractive.

I think in reality Huw could probably do a daily or Sunday spot on say Classic FM and still be called on by the BBC to cover big events.

I don’t think Huw going to Radio 3 is likely, not least because the whole station is moving to Salford and Classic FM would offer him more money if that’s the route he wants to go down.

There are options beyond money and ego. Satisfaction and purpose, for example.
[-] The following 4 users Like neonemesis's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, interestednovice, Rolling News

It is interesting about money though, as I am not speaking about the salary in question, I am speaking about having your salary publicly revealed every year.

Huw is in the list of a lot of presenters who have their BBC salaries published every year - this aspect is certainly a major factor for many BBC presenters leaving for commercial networks.

Huw is always there in the top of the list. The last financial report showed him earning between £410,000 to £414,999 - now that is a very chunky salary, funded by the licence fee of course. If one of the commercial networks offered him a decent position, then he would get off that list.

Graham Norton said in an interview around the time he moved to Virgin Radio that the salary list played a big factor in him leaving BBC Radio 2.

The BBC News Channel has a thing called across the U.K., is that a replacement for News Nationwide?

(16-01-2023, 06:14 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  The BBC News Channel has a thing called across the U.K., is that a replacement for News Nationwide?

A segment with "UK" in the title? In 2023!?

In seriousness yeah I guess it replaced Nationwide. I think it was when they decided not to bring back Afternoon Live and added it on to the end of the 1pm hour.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Superman1986

(16-01-2023, 05:33 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It is interesting about money though, as I am not speaking about the salary in question, I am speaking about having your salary publicly revealed every year.

Huw is in the list of a lot of presenters who have their BBC salaries published every year - this aspect is certainly a major factor for many BBC presenters leaving for commercial networks.

Huw is always there in the top of the list. The last financial report showed him earning between £410,000 to £414,999 - now that is a very chunky salary, funded by the licence fee of course. If one of the commercial networks offered him a decent position, then he would get off that list.

Graham Norton said in an interview around the time he moved to Virgin Radio that the salary list played a big factor in him leaving BBC Radio 2.

I don’t think Huw Edwards is ever the target of the flak though, that is generally reserved for Gary Lineker, Zoe Ball etc
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom

(16-01-2023, 07:33 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(16-01-2023, 05:33 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It is interesting about money though, as I am not speaking about the salary in question, I am speaking about having your salary publicly revealed every year.

I don’t think Huw Edwards is ever the target of the flak though, that is generally reserved for Gary Lineker, Zoe Ball etc
He's also been with the BBC for almost 40 years, I really don't think his salary should ever been questioned or flagged as anything of concern.

All this talk has just reminded me it's 20 years this week since Huw took over the Ten (with Sophie and George at Six).
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, News76, Newsroom
Thread Closed