Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Which bulletin is considered as the "flagship bulletin" by the BBC? Is it the Six or the Ten?

Initially I considered the Six as the flagship as it is followed by a lengthy 30 minute regional bulletin. But then the Ten is presented by the BBC's chief presenter - Huw Edwards. Which of these two bulletins has the most resources invested in it and deemed as flagship?

(17-01-2023, 01:19 PM)ALV Wrote:  Which bulletin is considered as the "flagship bulletin" by the BBC? Is it the Six or the Ten?

Initially I considered the Six as the flagship as it is followed by a lengthy 30 minute regional bulletin. But then the Ten is presented by the BBC's chief presenter - Huw Edwards. Which of these two bulletins has the most resources invested in it and deemed as flagship?

I'd argue that these days it's the BBC News at 10 but that it once was the Six O'Clock news. Feels more like a gradual shift over the years caused by viewing habits rather than a decision someone at the BBC has made.

They probably both have similar resources applied to them. Maybe Ten has slightly more because of more international stories that can cost more.

(17-01-2023, 01:19 PM)ALV Wrote:  Which bulletin is considered as the "flagship bulletin" by the BBC? Is it the Six or the Ten?

I'd say that the Ten is definitely regarded as the more senior and harder bulletin, owing to its stronger lean on international affairs, but the Six is more watched (though not as watched as the 18:30 regional bulletins). If I had to label one a flagship, it'd be the Ten. Both, though, are clearly senior to the One.

The Ten also has historical context in its favour - as it is descended from the Nine which was in turn the replacement for 'The Main News' (indeed, for many years, the Nine was still called the Main News if it aired at another time).

I don't really think that either bulletin has an enormous amount of unique resources, they've shared an editor for years and presumably most of a wider production team. A while ago the Six had its own special correspondent (Sian Williams originally), but that's long since discarded. When it comes to things like correspondents - it's all really a single BBC News resource these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Frances

Is there a technical problem on the NC right now or is there a special report? The NC is currently simulcasting Global with Matthew Amroliwala with WN but I don't see any significant headlines that requires a simulcast? Ben Brown was presenting the prior bulletin in studio E and it was going very smooth. No announcement from Ben Brown or any sort.
[Image: d0a3d7682331a39fba10d55b57abea23.png]
[Image: 3564e563e9379a5601b41691f404d733.png]
I hope this is not one of those cost cutting measures again! The amount of domestic UK bulletin hours is getting slim-to-none.

It seems the Global team recognizes they're being simulcasted on the NC. Matthew Amroliwala has been dropping references to the "Global" branding throughout the programme. For example, he started off with "This is BBC News, I'm Matthew Amroliwala..." rather then his usual opening phrase "This is BBC World News, I'm Matthew Amroliwala, on today's Global..."

BBC News viewers realising just how good BBC World News is with its branded programmes, Studio C looks amazing.
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, ginnyfan, Newsroom, Radio_man, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Looking back on iPlayer, they went from a report into coverage of parliament at 15:41 (with OOV handover by Ben Brown). Though on a topical issue, I can't say it seems like a major debate going by the attendance. They continued with parliament until 15:56 (when they were closed OOV by Ben - who did said they would bring you more in a minute). Weather and TOTH sequences occured as normal, but then went into Global. There isn't a major international story this hour and there's clearly no staff shortage. Based on all this, I'd say something must've gone wrong in Studio E.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(17-01-2023, 05:32 PM)DTV Wrote:  Looking back on iPlayer, they went from a report into coverage of parliament at 15:41 (with OOV handover by Ben Brown). Though on a topical issue, I can't say it seems like a major debate going by the attendance. They continued with parliament until 15:56 (when they were closed OOV by Ben - who did said they would bring you more in a minute). Weather and TOTH sequences occured as normal, but then went into Global. There isn't a major international story this hour and there's clearly no staff shortage. Based on all this, I'd say something must've gone wrong in Studio E.

It also would not surprise me if this is a deliberate simulcast though. A technical fault in E is the most likely explanation in this case, but in years gone by, rather than just simulcasting with World during UK daytime NC hours, Ben would've quickly set up in another studio, A for instance, whilst they were broadcasting the debate in Parliament.
Instead now the default whenever there's a problem with the NC, whether it's technical or staff related, seems to be to go straight over to World.

(17-01-2023, 05:39 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  It also would not surprise me if this is a deliberate simulcast though. A technical fault in E is the most likely explanation in this case, but in years gone by, rather than just simulcasting with World during UK daytime NC hours, Ben would've quickly set up in another studio, A for instance, whilst they were broadcasting the debate in Parliament.
Instead now the default whenever there's a problem with the NC, whether it's technical or staff related, seems to be to go straight over to World.
An example from your narrative:
www.youtube.com 

In the past few years I think the usual protocol of handling technical problems is to switch NC's TX from Studio E to their replay server, which airs the previous hour of the NC output. The team then decamps to a studio and when they're ready the director will switch NC's TX to the decamped studio, crashing right back into the presenter's vision.

I do hope this is a temporary simulcast due to technical issues, rather than a pilot of the merger. They've been subtly piloting stuff like simulcasting Radio 5 Live in the mornings and Politics Live in parliament hours...

Back to normal at 5:00 so it seems something must have been up with Studio E (At least in today's case).
Thread Closed