Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(30-01-2023, 12:08 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  During 2024 there will also be a General Election in the UK, and a Presidential election in the US, with the build up to the US election throughout the year with the primaries etc.
Convention says that the UK GE will be in May or June, but if Rushi Sunak wants to run down the clock on the current Parliamentary term, he could call the UK General Election in late autumn 2024, so we'll have the UK GE campaign and the US Presidential campaign happening concurrently. How on earth will this new channel manage to cover that and keep everyone happy???
If he does indeed decide to 'run down the clock' on a GE, then Parliament won't dissolve until the morning of the 5th anniversary of it first meeting, which is Friday 17 December 2024 - and the latest possible polling day 25 working days later, which is Friday 24 January 2025.

PMs only call an early election if they think they're going to win. I don't think there will be a clash between a UK GE campaign and the US Presidential election.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Apples, bkman1990, UTVLifer

It looks as though some of the cameras were stuck in Studio B on tonight's late news - some were in place around the desk at the start of the programme and there was no wide shot to hand over to the weather.

(30-01-2023, 11:32 PM)Moz Wrote:  New style map on the 10 tonight? I’m sure it used to be much more reds and blacks and used to zoom in on a spinning globe.

youtu.be 

Sign perhaps of what the new look BBC News might look like?
[-] The following 2 users Like ConorW2000's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

I know it's been in use for a while now, but I must say, I really love what they've done with studio B. Very dynamic, very modern and really puts the competition to shame - which traditionally hasn't been something you'd say about the BBC's studios. Looking forward to seeing the newsroom studio get the same treatment in time.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, Jeff, thePineapple, UTVLifer

One of the rectangles on the video wall at the end of tonight's News at Six was... the News at Six. Delayed by a couple of seconds. Studio B inception!

(06-02-2023, 07:38 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  One of the rectangles on the video wall at the end of tonight's News at Six was... the News at Six. Delayed by a couple of seconds. Studio B inception!

We are watching the BBC News at Six watching the BBC News at Six watching the BBC News at Six ... My head hurts.
[-] The following 5 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, IanJRedman, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Some minor tweaks this morning... The 10AM hour is not simulcast on WN today.

Maryam Moshiri (who I assume is presenting Live with Lucy Hockings today) came on air 1 hour early to do a separate WN bulletin. The back half hour is replaced with a recorded programme (The New Space Race). Not sure if this is a permanent thing, since the 10AM hour is still listed as a full hour on the WN schedule tommorow.

Annita McVeigh also stuttered a bit when opening the 10AM hour: "This is BBC News and these are the latest headlines in... the UK"

[Image: 0344c4b8b91c97f2a6092ece058da600.png]

Related to the reshuffle perhaps?

(07-02-2023, 11:10 AM)ALV Wrote:  Some minor tweaks this morning... The 10AM hour is not simulcast on WN today.

Maryam Moshiri (who I assume is presenting Live with Lucy Hockings today) came on air 1 hour early to do a separate WN bulletin. The back half hour is replaced with a recorded programme (The New Space Race). Not sure if this is a permanent thing, since the 10AM hour is still listed as a full hour on the WN schedule tommorow.

Annita McVeigh also stuttered a bit when opening the 10AM hour: "This is BBC News and these are the latest headlines in... the UK"
It's odd that they didn't return to the 10:00 Live; 10:30 pre-record set-up when World daytimes returned to normal - that was the BBC World News schedule from March 2017 - March 2020.

I do hope that they drop the slightly clunky "... in the UK and around the world" line when the new channel launches (which I think might have been Alistair Yates' originally). Personally, I'd prefer something along the lines of George Alagiah's old WNT/GMT opening line of "It's 12 noon here in London, 7am in Washington and 3 in the afternoon in Turkey where..." (although that was post-titles rather than TOTH).
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Radio_man, xlalonce

(07-02-2023, 11:10 AM)ALV Wrote:  Some minor tweaks this morning... The 10AM hour is not simulcast on WN today.

[Image: 0344c4b8b91c97f2a6092ece058da600.png]
I doubt it's a permanent schedule change before April, as the 10am simulcast is occasionally dropped when the 10am hour is expected to be dominated by a UK political story that's of little relevance to World viewers, eg. today's expected cabinet reshuffle, the ongoing strikes, a political speech, or coverage of a select committee.

Of course it remains to be seen if this will mean a UK-opt on the new channel.
Thread Closed