Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(08-02-2023, 01:49 PM)Transmission Wrote:  An old countdown with the previous logo accidentally went out just before 11am. It's funny how quickly I've got used to the new logo, the old one looks strange when it appears when you're not expecting it.

Also used at 9 and 10am, and I agree it looks so strange now. When it changed last April I thought the current one looked strange (I still do in a way, but have gotten used to it).
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, Transmission

During the 1700 hour with Clive Myrie, they had a discussion with a correspondent and professor via video link, and a correspondent and a think tank fellow in the studio all at once! That's a lot of people, and I don't think you see that very often on the NC. I guess one last hurrah from Clive as he joins network officially?

[Image: Picture1.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, Superman1986, UTVLifer

In a way, it is a sad switch going from news channel to network bulletins full time. I know network is more prestigious, more watched, better payed etc but you just don't get the same type of challenges (breaking news, rolling coverage, interviews and debates) over there. It's basic newsreading with very little to do outside of that, at least during a bulletin.

It's especially bad that Jane Hill, who excelled at all the mentioned news channel tasks, for more than 20 years, is one of those making that switch.
[-] The following 9 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Jimbo2022, London Lite, Newsroom, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I fail to see how there still won't be a 5pm UK news hour though?
I can't see any circumstance where Focus on Africa will go out on the UK stream at 5:30pm, and it's hardly appropriate to have a back half hour filler program on at 5:30pm for UK viewers.

So why can't the current arrangement continue of the 1pm news presenter and gallery team also doing the 5pm hour on the UK stream?

Maybe people of African origins in the UK will enjoy having a news show focusing on their mother continent.

(08-02-2023, 07:57 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  In a way, it is a sad switch going from news channel to network bulletins full time. I know network is more prestigious, more watched, better payed etc but you just don't get the same type of challenges (breaking news, rolling coverage, interviews and debates) over there. It's basic newsreading with very little to do outside of that, at least during a bulletin.
I do wonder if this is the last the News channels will see of them and whether there is a bit of administrative legal fiction to the shift from column A to column B. I mean, from 2006 to 2020, Huw was the senior network presenter while still appearing on the News channel for the News at Five. With the margins of available presenters on the news channel looking to a bit thin, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up as relief presenters - plus, of course, they'll still appear as lead presenters across both network and the News channel on big stories like Ukraine.

(08-02-2023, 10:23 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I fail to see how there still won't be a 5pm UK news hour though?
I can't see any circumstance where Focus on Africa will go out on the UK stream at 5:30pm, and it's hardly appropriate to have a back half hour filler program on at 5:30pm for UK viewers.

So why can't the current arrangement of the 1pm news presenter and gallery team also doing the 5pm hour on the UK stream continue?
Focus on Africa won't go out in the UK (unless, perhaps, there was a really big Africa story), but during the Ukraine crisis they showed that they could have World presenters continue in the UK (and I think some World regions) while Focus on Africa went on as normal elsewhere. I suspect you'll have that set-up on the new channel, particulary with Focus coming from Nairobi.

It'd be good to get some UK-only content at some point of the day, but it appears that (at least for now) that isn't the path they're going down. A visualised PM programme has been suggested in the past for the 17:00 hour, but I think the issue with a News at Five hour is more the gallery teams and studio space rather than presenters.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(08-02-2023, 10:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(08-02-2023, 10:23 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I fail to see how there still won't be a 5pm UK news hour though?

So why can't the current arrangement of the 1pm news presenter and gallery team also doing the 5pm hour on the UK stream continue?
Focus on Africa won't go out in the UK (unless, perhaps, there was a really big Africa story), but during the Ukraine crisis they showed that they could have World presenters continue in the UK (and I think some World regions) while Focus on Africa went on as normal elsewhere. I suspect you'll have that set-up on the new channel, particulary with Focus coming from Nairobi.

It'd be good to get some UK-only content at some point of the day, but it appears that (at least for now) that isn't the path they're going down. A visualised PM programme has been suggested in the past for the 17:00 hour, but I think the issue with a News at Five hour is more the gallery teams and studio space rather than presenters.
I just find it difficult to believe that it's not possible to utilise the 1pm team for another hour of UK only news at 5pm, as is being done now (although I obviously don't know if the 1pm gallery team do the 5pm hour currently).
Wasn't the idea of bringing in Huw to do the 5pm hour in 2006, because News 24 saw this as one of their "prime" viewing hours? 

Even once the musical studios of the next few months is over, assuming the new BBC (World) News Channel is in E and Network/London in B, with C and A mothballed, won't studio D still be available for a 5pm UK only news hour with the 1 team?
The priorities for the UK stream of the new channel seem very wrong if a 5pm UK only news hour is not possible (or management don't want it), yet management want 2 hours of Nicky Campbell in the morning to count as prominent "UK only" content on the channel   Huh  Undecided

Focus on Africa doesn't move with clock changes so it'll be unlikely it will be shown in the UK.

Studio D is used by BBC London for their rehearsals and any recordings while B is being used by the Six team. So it’s not available at 1700.
There are, naturally, sound reasons why plans for the channel aren’t being publicly released, not least because they’re not set in stone yet.

However the general direction is firmly one of a single channel with the option for separate uk coverage as required (along with scheduled uk coverage from pre-existing outlets)
[-] The following 7 users Like Deejay's post:
  • ALV, bkman1990, Independent, Jimbo2022, London Lite, TVFan, UTVLifer

Interesting to see this Reith Serif BBC News logo - I know it’s probably used as a laugh at an internal event, but it does show that this was being thought of? Or have they just used a mock of one of this forum’s predecessors!?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
Thread Closed