Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

And she's doing a longer shift because someone else has taken some annual leave to look after kids who aren't in school? Yeah, that makes sense.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, Rory N

Just happened to stumble across this online...

youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, watchingtv

(13-02-2023, 09:21 PM)ALV Wrote:  
(13-02-2023, 09:07 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Don't RedBee have the ability to generate the World ticker as they do for back half hour programmes?

WN does have the ability to have a ticker at the presentation level but I'm fairly certain the ticker above is generated by Studio B downstream. The difference is easy to tell:

Generally speaking, a presentation generated ticker (on the right) is a bit more transparent and darker than the gallery generated ticker (on the left), which is less transparent and more brighter:

[Image: b06ee05ab573b482dd2828d4dc0c9cd8.png]

The presentation level ticker also lacks the ability to show stuff like the programme bug on the right, have the WN logo move up when the lower thirds animates, or automatically remove itself when the WN DOG shows up on screen... They run on separate systems in the end.

Sometimes you'll see Red Bee accidentally cueing up the presentation level ticker over the gallery ticker during news bulletins on WN, resulting in double layer of tickers covering up each others...
I guess the ticker is generated by Studio C, just like how World and NC showed its after when simulcasting Politics Live.

I see the trip to Wales hasn’t stopped the 6 showcasing the regions

twitter.com 

(14-02-2023, 11:03 PM)chris Wrote:  I see the trip to Wales hasn’t stopped the 6 showcasing the regions

twitter.com 
Nor did it prevent a proper handover to the Weather and Studio B.
[Image: image.png]

Needless to say that both 6 and 10 are today, very appropriately, presented by Huw.
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

Is there a reason why BBC London headlines still came from D even though the 6 and 10 weren’t using B tonight?

Always love a trip to Central Square - the empty thoroughfare of news is my favourite presentation areas - just so colourful, so visually interesting and such a great use of all that space. Really suits the news well - I particularly love how unusually they have to angle the cameras to get the LED screens (that are not at all pointlessly weirdly shaped) in shot. And I can't not mention the Ikea desk with a BBC News globe sellotaped to the front on an oversized rostrum in an otherwise empty studio - really becoming of the flagship news programmes of a national broadcaster in 2023.

I'm not sure, though, why they crane the cameras so far back in the wideshot just to get a slither of that (yawn) newsroom/office space - so unnecessary. I for one love the bold decision to get more black wall in shot than any news set since the 1950s. That aside, it's just such a great space for demonstrating they are in Cardiff - really descript, just screams 'this could only be in Wales'. Honestly, if was ITV and Sky, I'd be taking notes - for your next set, just stick a massive LED screen in an empty warehouse - if it's good enough for the BBC...
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chevron, chris, Critique, Frances, Newsroom, Roger Darthwell, Spencer, Stuart, UTVLifer

(14-02-2023, 11:50 PM)DTV Wrote:  Always love a trip to Central Square - the empty thoroughfare of news is my favourite presentation areas - just so colourful, so visually interesting and such a great use of all that space. Really suits the news well - I particularly love how unusually they have to angle the cameras to get the LED screens (that are not at all pointlessly weirdly shaped) in shot. And I can't not mention the Ikea desk with a BBC News globe sellotaped to the front on an oversized rostrum in an otherwise empty studio - really becoming of the flagship news programmes of a national broadcaster in 2023.

I'm not sure, though, why they crane the cameras so far back in the wideshot just to get a slither of that (yawn) newsroom/office space - so unnecessary. I for one love the bold decision to get more black wall in shot than any news set since the 1950s. That aside, it's just such a great space for demonstrating they are in Cardiff - really descript, just screams 'this could only be in Wales'. Honestly, if was ITV and Sky, I'd be taking notes - for your next set, just stick a massive LED screen in an empty warehouse - if it's good enough for the BBC...
I assume all of the above is in a sarcastic tone...
I do wonder why they don't use the sport studio for the Six/Ten/Newsnight. You still get to see the screens that were used today, but in an actual studio rather than an empty and spacious corridor. (PS The (incorrect) BBC Sport logo in the desk can be changed/removed)

[Image: TVLF%20217.jpg]
[Image: TVLF%20218.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

(15-02-2023, 12:13 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I assume all of the above is in a sarcastic tone...
I do wonder why they don't use the sport studio for the Six/Ten/Newsnight. You still get to see the screens that were used today, but in an actual studio rather than an empty and spacious corridor. (PS The (incorrect) BBC Sport logo in the desk can be changed/removed)
I don't know why you'd assume I was being sarcastic, I really do love utterly barren and visually uninteresting parts of a building being used as presentation spaces which they clearly weren't properly designed for (hence the craning camera angles also visible in the second Scrum V image).

I mean it's not like they have an actual proper news studio in the same building that, now BBC London shares a studio with network, there is no real reason that it couldn't be used for national then regional news. Admittedly, I have previously described the Wales Today set as atrociously lit and one of my least favourite BBC News sets ever, but it'd still be a massive step up from a colourless atrium and you could use the LED videowalls to make it feel Cardiffy. Surely one of the advantages of having network-grade news sets in every region is that you could actually use them for network programmes once in a while.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Critique, Jayesyn, RhysJR, Stuart, UTVLifer

Hey - if a colourless atrium is good enough for Sky News, the pioneers of news presentation, then it sure as syrup is good enough for BBC Wales. :/
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, chaose, Spencer, UTVLifer
Thread Closed