Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(15-02-2023, 12:31 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 12:13 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I assume all of the above is in a sarcastic tone...
I do wonder why they don't use the sport studio for the Six/Ten/Newsnight. You still get to see the screens that were used today, but in an actual studio rather than an empty and spacious corridor. (PS The (incorrect) BBC Sport logo in the desk can be changed/removed)
I don't know why you'd assume I was being sarcastic, I really do love utterly barren and visually uninteresting parts of a building being used as presentation spaces which they clearly weren't properly designed for (hence the craning camera angles also visible in the second Scrum V image).

I mean it's not like they have an actual proper news studio in the same building that, now BBC London shares a studio with network, there is no real reason that it couldn't be used for national then regional news. Admittedly, I have previously described the Wales Today set as atrociously lit and one of my least favourite BBC News sets ever, but it'd still be a massive step up from a colourless atrium and you could use the LED videowalls to make it feel Cardiffy. Surely one of the advantages of having network-grade news sets in every region is that you could actually use them for network programmes once in a while.

Didn’t you hear? Wales can’t have a monolith screen in their studio because they share it with Newyiddon and that’s apparently a dealbreaker for them…
[-] The following 2 users Like Critique's post:
  • bkman1990, Jayesyn

(15-02-2023, 12:31 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 12:13 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I assume all of the above is in a sarcastic tone...
I do wonder why they don't use the sport studio for the Six/Ten/Newsnight. You still get to see the screens that were used today, but in an actual studio rather than an empty and spacious corridor. (PS The (incorrect) BBC Sport logo in the desk can be changed/removed)
I don't know why you'd assume I was being sarcastic, I really do love utterly barren and visually uninteresting parts of a building being used as presentation spaces which they clearly weren't properly designed for (hence the craning camera angles also visible in the second Scrum V image).

I mean it's not like they have an actual proper news studio in the same building that, now BBC London shares a studio with network, there is no real reason that it couldn't be used for national then regional news. Admittedly, I have previously described the Wales Today set as atrociously lit and one of my least favourite BBC News sets ever, but it'd still be a massive step up from a colourless atrium and you could use the LED videowalls to make it feel Cardiffy. Surely one of the advantages of having network-grade news sets in every region is that you could actually use them for network programmes once in a while.
The only obvious issue that I can think of for using the news studio is that it is used by Wales Today then Newyddion in quick succession. But in the past (i.e. at weekends when they almost clash and when either programme is moved closer to the other due to football) one of the two has been moved to a green screen studio without issue, so no reason they couldn't do that to accomodate the national news. And on Wednesday nights recently, BBC Wales Live has been presented from the news studio straight after the late bulletin (albeit I think the late bulletin only used one standing position throughout) so they have shown there is ways to allow the national bulletin to be presented from the news studio if it must be.

Watching back bits of the News at Ten tonight, I couldn't not notice how dark and unwelcoming the presenting area looked. I happened to come across this clip just now from when Scrum V used it last year and the lighting used then was far better. The red/pink would be suitable for the BBC News too.

twitter.com 

During the 10 the weather handover was done vice versa to the 6, in a more traditional way (weather studio appearing on the presenter's screen)
[Image: image.png]
Also for some reason no live Newsnight teaser nor even mentioning at the end of the Ten, only the regions. May be it is because BBC Two slightly overrun and Newsnight started circa 22:36. UPD. No, that is not the case, it is just a weird IPlayer timestamp glitch.

(15-02-2023, 01:15 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Watching back bits of the News at Ten tonight, I couldn't not notice how dark and unwelcoming the presenting area looked.
Did I get it right from what I saw that the presenting area and the sit-down area are separated by a glass wall that the presenter has to go round while moving from one part of the studio to another? During the interview with the BBC Wales editor it appeared as if the presenting area with its screens served as a background, with what looks like a door(!) seen to the right of the desk.
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

Rebecca Jones hosting the One (first time surely?).

(15-02-2023, 02:02 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  Rebecca Jones hosting the One (first time surely?).

I think she's been good this morning - she handled the breaking news very well in my opinion.

(15-02-2023, 02:02 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  Rebecca Jones hosting the One (first time surely?).

Yes first time! 

That's something we've rarely seen over the years. The AM NC presenter returning for the 1.

Apart from bank holidays, yes it is! May be a last minute cover as she did 9-11 this morning, although I'm not complaining!

Suspect may be some presenter movement to Scotland given the morning's events.
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, octothorpe

Rebecca's another underused face at the BBC. Is she still an arts correspondent? If so she might not be completely out of a job.

Either way Nice to see her get to chance to do the 'proper' News at One.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • bkman1990, Scratch_Perry

(15-02-2023, 02:07 PM)steve Wrote:  Suspect may be some presenter movement to Scotland given the morning's events.

Yes the six will be presented live outside Holyrood tonight
Thread Closed