Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(15-02-2023, 08:38 PM)Chud Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 07:13 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  That explains why we ended up with Rebecca doing the 1 and Ben doing the 5  (who I presume was scheduled for 2-5) if Reeta was supposed to be doing the 1 and 5 today.
Was this Rebecca’s first main network bullet? I think she does a great job and would be on my list to be a permanent bbc one bod
The chances of this happening are virtually nil when there are far more higher profile BBC 1 & NC newsreaders in line first.
She was likely on the 1 today purely due to events and circumstances - Huw was in Cardiff and couldn't get to Edinburgh in time for the 6 (it can take most of the day by train to get to Scotland from Cardiff, and just as long to drive), so Reeta is taken off the 1 and sent to Edinburgh for the 6. 

Plus it's half term, so they are down on available newsreaders to call in at short notice.

(15-02-2023, 11:47 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 08:38 PM)Chud Wrote:  Was this Rebecca’s first main network bullet? I think she does a great job and would be on my list to be a permanent bbc one bod
The chances of this happening are virtually nil when there are far more higher profile BBC 1 & NC newsreaders in line first.
She was likely on the 1 today purely due to events and circumstances - Huw was in Cardiff and couldn't get to Edinburgh in time for the 6 (it can take most of the day by train to get to Scotland from Cardiff, and just as long to drive), so Reeta is taken off the 1 and sent to Edinburgh for the 6. 

Plus it's half term, so they are down on available newsreaders to call in at short notice.
Why does everyone jump to 'half term' as being a reason why presenters are off? All the presenters being discussed have mature families or none at all. 

Secondly - getting someone from Cardiff to Scotland is hardly a brain ache! Guaranteed both network pres wouldn't have caught the train which is substantially more than a plane! They'll have flown up with a bunch of journalists and shared the cost.

(16-02-2023, 12:01 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 11:47 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  The chances of this happening are virtually nil when there are far more higher profile BBC 1 & NC newsreaders in line first.

Why does everyone jump to 'half term' as being a reason why presenters are off? All the presenters being discussed have mature families or none at all. 

Secondly - getting someone from Cardiff to Scotland is hardly a brain ache! Guaranteed both network pres wouldn't have caught the train which is substantially more than a plane! They'll have flown up with a bunch of journalists and shared the cost.

Anyway surely an org like the Beeb would have long ago negotiated cheaper rates with such an airline? As you say it would make much more sense for journos in that position to fly up.

(16-02-2023, 12:43 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(16-02-2023, 12:01 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  Why does everyone jump to 'half term' as being a reason why presenters are off? All the presenters being discussed have mature families or none at all. 

Anyway surely an org like the Beeb would have long ago negotiated cheaper rates with such an airline? As you say it would make much more sense for journos in that position to fly up.
BBC Travel handle the corporate side of bookings, and act as an in house travel agency in effect. 

Generally, and specifically post Covid, the expectation is that train travel will be booked unless the Division finance can be assured that air travel is the only appropriate way.
[-] The following 4 users Like Matrix's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak, Newsroom, UTVLifer

How long does it take to get from Cardiff to Holyrood by train or on a flight? I would imagine they would also need to get a private taxi to get there as well while going from either the nearest train station or from the nearest airport to Holyrood.

Also consider that Cardiff Airport operates on a very reduced schedule these days. To have flown to Edinburgh by scheduled air services would have required a flight via Amsterdam yesterday. Getting to Scotland by air from Cardiff is virtually impossible these days, unless private.

Ironically, there is a flight from Cardiff to Edinburgh today. Late afternoon.

FWIW, I thought Rebecca did a sterling job yesterday. As did LVJ.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Studio E was getting used on overnights which was a little refreshing.

Presume C was getting maintenance as it is the usual overnight studio.

(16-02-2023, 07:33 AM)Renap Wrote:  Studio E was getting used on overnights which was a little refreshing.

Presume C was getting maintenance as it is the usual overnight studio.
IIRC, studio E is had been used for overnights once a week for a long time and it's usually mid week.

BBC News channel is using the BBC World News ticker during overnight hours, which squished "Singapore" because of the UK clock.

[Image: 230216-1014-23.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bakamann's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon, UTVLifer

(16-02-2023, 04:00 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  How long does it take to get from Cardiff to Holyrood by train or on a flight? I would imagine they would also need to get a private taxi to get there as well while going from either the nearest train station or from the nearest airport to Holyrood.

CrossCountry service from Cardiff to Birmingham (1 train every 2 hours taking 2 hours exactly). Let's say the 1245 departure as the 1045 was too early. So that's arrival in Birmingham at 1445 (4 minutes late yesterday)

There is then another CrossCountry train to Edinburgh departing 1455 (yesterday departed 1503), arriving Edinburgh at 2011 (on time yesterday).

Dont know how long it takes to get to Holyrood from Edinburgh Waverley train station? 

So train option would have got someone there for the Ten but not the Six. 

-------

If the 1045 train was possible, then that arrived Birmingham yesterday at 1249, with a connecting train to Edinburgh departing at 1303 and arriving Edinburgh on time at 1807. Still too late for the Six.

The next earliest train departing Cardiff was 0945 which would have allowed an Edinburgh arrival at 1713, or 0845 for a 1606 arrival (but I don't think the news was known that early, at least by the general public)
[-] The following 2 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer
Thread Closed