Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(03-03-2023, 04:40 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 02:52 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  So it'll be Clive Myrie doing the final, full UK only news hour on the NC at 5pm today, as he's done the news at 1pm.
Presumably also the final edition of the BBC News at One from Studio E, which was, of course, the first programme broadcast from the studio nearly ten years ago.

Sorry if I've missed this, but has it been confirmed that News at 1 is moving into B?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • UTVLifer

I hope they change the fake newsroom backdrop in C since it’s completely empty and viewed from a height, even worser then the current more quieter newsroom in studio E.
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Radio_man

(03-03-2023, 05:09 PM)harshy Wrote:  I hope they change the fake newsroom backdrop in C since it’s completely empty and viewed from a height, even worser then the current more quieter newsroom in studio E.

I also don’t think having an obviously-fake newsroom background helps build subconscious trust amongst viewers, especially at a time when there are fewer people found in the ‘real’ newsroom view due to hybrid working and staffing changes. In this age of ‘fake news’, it feels like broadcasters should be hyper vigilant about things which appear to distort or mislead viewers as to the nature of news-gathering operations, such as how busy (or not) the newsroom is.

I’ve always enjoyed the city backgrounds - such as the original WN background in Studio C, or the first set design of the BARCO-era N6 bulletins. I’d love for them to return to something like that on the new channel, especially if it helps subtly separate the London output from that of DC and Singapore.
[-] The following 3 users Like House's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

Apologies if that has been addressed, but can someone refresh me on the future of Studio E?

Will the merged channel be coming from C long term? Would be a shame to lose the real life newsroom backdrop.

(03-03-2023, 05:19 PM)seamus Wrote:  Apologies if that has been addressed, but can someone refresh me on the future of Studio E?

Will the merged channel be coming from C long term? Would be a shame to lose the real life newsroom backdrop.

Martine Croxall said on Twitter something along the lines it would return to use after a refurb. 

I can’t now find it though - she tweets an awful lot.
[-] The following 3 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, seamus

(03-03-2023, 04:48 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Sorry if I've missed this, but has it been confirmed that News at 1 is moving into B?
Supposedly the interim month will come from Studio E from 09:00-19:00, so the One will have to come from somewhere else. B is surely the most likely possibility.

(03-03-2023, 05:19 PM)seamus Wrote:  Apologies if that has been addressed, but can someone refresh me on the future of Studio E?

From what I understand, the interim service will partially come from E and partially from C, the London hours of the new channel will come from C from April and a new set will eventually be launched in E (though there is conflicting accounts of the timescale). The end goal seems to be for E to be the long-term home of the new channel.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom, seamus, UTVLifer

The thing that I am picturing with the refurb of Studio E is that they are going to do a variation of the right hand side of Studio B. Especially with that far right hand wall looking like more of an evolution in the current design ethic.

[Image: tvlivedotsite-2022-06-14-22h18m27s893.jpg]
[Image: studio10-8.jpg]
Image Sources: TV Live: BBC National News
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • interestednovice

Exatly, I’d expect something of that nature with a large monolith screen in the corner, most likely approximately where the grey pillar appears over the shoulder of Stephanie Flanders in your image. Although I’m not really sure whether there is the space - there may be if the desk is moved forward slightly (given it will likely not be round, so won’t need as much space towards the front of the studio) and the credenza is removed from the set.

Whether or not the catwalk is altered as well, I would actually hope that they don’t add a second monolith there. I think an upgraded catwalk (with a single large curved monitor) there would look far better and be more flexible.

The desk area, to be honest, is the weakest part of Studio B in my opinion. Although this is largely because what they have put on the screens is uninteresting and doesn’t look great. The desk looks better during Laura Kuenssberg’s programme, which is probably just because the background works better.

I’ve always felt that the current Studio B look is relatively temporary, until the screen-based elements get updated once News has a proper graphics refresh.

I really think Studio E as it is still looks great and I really like the 2013-era NBH sets. Round desks look slick and “friendly”, the newsroom view is still so good because it adds genuine depth (without feeling sterile as Sky News’ glass box does) and the set elements work well in the space. The only thing that really needs a proper upgrade is the “three separate screens” catwalk; it would look so good as one single curved screen.

Frankly, I also really like the way the existing plasmas look and don’t believe that monolith screens would be any noticeable improvement.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, Universal_r, UTVLifer

For the image with Stephanie Flanders I picture the monolith actually being slightly set more back a couple of feet from where this screen is to where the column behind it is..

[Image: studio9-8.jpg]
Image Sourced from BBC News at 1: 2013-2019

One thing to consider is that Studio E in its current configuration will be gone. From doing a little search for images from before the fitting out of New Broadcasting House into The World's Newsroom. Here from The Guardian's Website from December 2010 are two images to show the empty Studio E to give a sense of how it looked before the current set was installed. So it will be interesting to see if there are any pictures given throughout the refurb to show the transformation from one set to another.

[Image: BBC-Broadcasting-House-th-001.jpg?width=...35c7f67633]
[Image: BBC-Broadcasting-House-th-004.jpg?width=...a6a9a99091]
Images Sourced from Inside The Revamped Broadcasting House
[-] The following 3 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, oscillon

(03-03-2023, 04:31 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 03:43 PM)Moz Wrote:  Umm, it *is* closing.

Today there are two separate channels, tomorrow there’ll be just one.

So that *is* a service closing.
Well we will find out at 5pm I guess :-)

Didn’t seem to be signed off with anything or a mention unless I missed it…
Thread Closed