Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Looks like they’d prepared a nice ‘painting’ transition for a story about an artist, but switched the order and used it for Ken Bruce. The artist story followed from the touchscreen area.

youtu.be 

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(03-03-2023, 11:35 PM)Moz Wrote:  Looks like they’d prepared a nice ‘painting’ transition for a story about an artist, but switched the order and used it for Ken Bruce. The artist story followed from the touchscreen area.

youtu.be 

I don’t know how people think that monolith looks good. 

The framing leads to a huge Ken Bruce next to a tiny Rita with lots of extraneous set. They work for a standing shot, but not sitting. The desk screen should have been 16:9.

Though if we’re honest, the reason they like them is because it looks like a mobile phone, so the yoof are more likely to watch. Hydronic desk anyone?
[-] The following 4 users Like chris's post:
  • all new phil, interestednovice, Jayesyn, JJJJ

(04-03-2023, 11:32 AM)chris Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 11:35 PM)Moz Wrote:  Looks like they’d prepared a nice ‘painting’ transition for a story about an artist, but switched the order and used it for Ken Bruce. The artist story followed from the touchscreen area.

youtu.be 

The framing leads to a huge Ken Bruce next to a tiny Rita with lots of extraneous set. They work for a standing shot, but not sitting. The desk screen should have been 16:9.

Though if we’re honest, the reason they like them is because it looks like a mobile phone, so the yoof are more likely to watch. Hydronic desk anyone?
I don’t think it’s too bad but it’s missing the BBC News logo which is usually on the top left.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • interestednovice

youtu.be 
I think previously it was used for stories on the World Cup  Huh
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Moz, oscillon

(04-03-2023, 12:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 11:32 AM)chris Wrote:  I don’t know how people think that monolith looks good. 

I don’t think it’s too bad but it’s missing the BBC News logo which is usually on the top left.
I love the towers, but I agree they need to use them carefully - having a huge image of a person looks silly (a la Sky News interviewing people who’s image fills the news wall making them look like a giant compared to the presenter).  They just need to show more background and not crop so tightly.

I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while - I’ve noticed some tower graphics have the BBC News logo top left, but others don’t. Is there a reason for that?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, interestednovice, thePineapple

(04-03-2023, 06:13 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 12:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  I don’t think it’s too bad but it’s missing the BBC News logo which is usually on the top left.
I love the towers, but I agree they need to use them carefully - having a huge image of a person looks silly (a la Sky News interviewing people who’s image fills the news wall making them look like a giant compared to the presenter).  They just need to show more background and not crop so tightly.

I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while - I’ve noticed some tower graphics have the BBC News logo top left, but others don’t. Is there a reason for that?
“Home Secretary, you’re huge. Please don’t eat us!” as said by Alastair Stewart (Jon Culshaw) in a memorable Dead Ringers sketch:

beohm.com 
[-] The following 11 users Like Kojak's post:
  • ACTV, bkman1990, chris, damian, fanoftv, interestednovice, James, JamieD, matthieu1221, octothorpe, Stuart

(04-03-2023, 06:13 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 12:02 PM)harshy Wrote:  I don’t think it’s too bad but it’s missing the BBC News logo which is usually on the top left.

Depends who’s made the tower image - if it’s a simple still done via a template in the newsroom it’ll have the logo on.  If it’s a bespoke tower made by a designer they (generally) don’t have the logo on.

The towers are quite hard to use and often take the longest to get the images right. It’s hard to find an image that works both with the tower featured full height and in the zoomed in position but it can be done.

The ‘painted’ wipe effect mentioned earlier in the thread was the World Cup wipe and, I’m guessing, was used by mistake.
[-] The following 9 users Like Deejay's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, harshy, interestednovice, LDN, Moz, oscillon, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(04-03-2023, 11:32 AM)chris Wrote:  

youtu.be 

The monolith thing seems to be something of an international trend. I think it was the Flemish channel VTM who started it, albeit out of necessity - their monolith was put in to hide a load-bearing pillar:

[Image: 2.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

I think Studio E still looks pretty great. The only thing that's glaringly out of date is the catwalk triptych. It would seem natural to replace it with a scaled-down version of the curved video wall in B. I also always felt like there was a lot of wasted space behind the two plasmas and with so much space taken up for those camera rails. I wonder what it would look like if they could move the plasmas farther back into the corners and maybe the desk back a little too.

They obviously should replace the whole thing, but the basic layout of E is still a good one. The symmetry is great, and while there's not a ton of variety of different camera angles, every shot is well-lit with good depth of field. It's the perfect home base for a rolling news channel.
[-] The following 9 users Like Charles's post:
  • chris, Frances, harshy, interestednovice, matthieu1221, seamus, Spencer, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Well said, that’s essentially my point of view as well - just better put!
Thread Closed