Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Very weird... the NC is now simulcasting the SNP Debate Night on BBC One Scotland, while WN is continuing with a generic bulletin:
[Image: e5998f5192e122a9254248c73efc94ae.png]
I'm saying it's weird because the programme is not listed on the NC schedule, and no one promoted it throughout the bulletins today, feels like it's a last minute decision:
[Image: d82c0325b26564564227e151c118e203.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like ALV's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, LargelyALurker, oscillon

It is the sort of thing that probably should be simulcast on the NC though.
[-] The following 7 users Like dvboy's post:
  • bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Moz, thePineapple, Universal_r

Christian Fraser now in E, Context Cancelled, Looks like C is down? (again)

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-03-14-21h32m58s075.png]

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lepeterrr's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

Why?

It is of low relevance to viewers outside of Scotland (who can already see it on BBC One Scotland) and not “news” in the traditional sense of the channel’s content, which is either rolling news or bulletins. Viewers therefore wouldn’t expect it.

Anybody elsewhere in the UK who wants to see the programme can stream it thorough iPlayer by changing their region to Scotland.

It would possibly be appropriate to simulcast on BBC Parliament, but not the NC in my view. Whatever next, any and all vaguely factual content simulcast?! As I posted a few days ago, that would be akin to a merger of BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 4, BBC World Service and Newsbeat!

That’s rather presumptuous, if you don’t mind me saying so.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesWorldNews's post:
  • Moz

Sky News also did their Scottish leaders debate which was broadcast not just in the UK, but in Ireland and on Sky News International and nobody complained about that.
[-] The following 9 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, GMc, matthieu1221, Telefunken, Universal_r, UTVLifer, watchingtv

The lunchtime and evening regional news bulletins have been cancelled due to strike action

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990

(15-03-2023, 01:45 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Why?

It is of low relevance to viewers outside of Scotland (who can already see it on BBC One Scotland) and not “news” in the traditional sense of the channel’s content.

I think there is a legitimate debate about whether a Leader's Debate is 'news' as you define it. But I don't agree about the 'low relevance' point. Scotland is a major part of the UK and their matters are by definition UK matters. This is especially true when dealing with the Independence question. Scottish independence is not just a Scottish issue, it is a UK issue and will have implications on both sides.

The opinion that Scottish matters aren't relevant to the UK is absolutely part of the reason that the independence movement has grown so powerful. In my opinion more editorial focus should be put on the regions and nations as a mechanism to remind us what we all have in common...

If only there was a domestic news service which could have its remit tweaked to deliver such an outcome...

(15-03-2023, 01:09 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  The lunchtime and evening regional news bulletins have been cancelled due to strike action

twitter.com 

I'm now having visions of Peter Levy sitting in the Look North studio at 6.30pm presenting a whole programme even though no-one can see him.
[-] The following 6 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • BBI45, bkman1990, Spencer, Superman1986, TVFan, watchingtv
Thread Closed