Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Why does Huw always touch that large "touch" screen in Studio B when noone else bothers to? And the graphics still change regardless.
[-] The following 3 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, SlimyTrain, Superman1986

(16-03-2023, 07:20 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Why does Huw always touch that large "touch" screen in Studio B when noone else bothers to? And the graphics still change regardless.

Setting aside whether it's really necessary, the screen is indeed a real touch screen. It uses infrared beam break.

(16-03-2023, 07:33 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 07:20 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Why does Huw always touch that large "touch" screen in Studio B when noone else bothers to? And the graphics still change regardless.

Setting aside whether it's really necessary, the screen is indeed a real touch screen. It uses infrared beam break.

I think touchscreens just about justifiable if the presenter draws on, adds arrows to or circles items to demonstrate something.

When all it does is advance (or even back-up) a prebuilt presentation, then I really can't see the point.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 6 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, Jeff, Juicy Joe, markhamblett, Spencer

(16-03-2023, 07:46 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 07:33 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Setting aside whether it's really necessary, the screen is indeed a real touch screen. It uses infrared beam break.

I think touchscreens just about justifiable if the presenter draws on, adds arrows to or circles items to demonstrate something.

When all it does is advance (or even back-up) a prebuilt presentation, then I really can't see the point.
I'd take an educated guess that the touchscreens were installed with elections in mind. At the last election with the old set in B they had to take the studio out of use for a few days either side to install (and then remove) a touchscreen. Potentially if the studio supports AR they might not need A for green screen visualisations.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • oscillon, UTVLifer

The use of the touchscreen, as a touchscreen, seems to have tailed off significantly since the new Studio B set launched. It seems to be hardly ever used as such anymore. When they first started using the new B, didn’t the weather presenters even touch the screen to advance the forecast sequence?

(16-03-2023, 08:35 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The use of the touchscreen, as a touchscreen, seems to have tailed off significantly since the new Studio B set launched. It seems to be hardly ever used as such anymore. When they first started using the new B, didn’t the weather presenters even touch the screen to advance the forecast sequence?
The weather forecasters never used it as a touchscreen. I think it will only really come into it's own on election nights where the presenter is pulling up the latest information rather than having a pre-determined sequence.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Spencer

(16-03-2023, 08:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The weather forecasters never used it as a touchscreen. I think it will only really come into it's own on election nights where the presenter is pulling up the latest information rather than having a pre-determined sequence.
That would be an actual use for a touchscreen, but the problem is that the election night graphics are fairly pre-determined as well. Though the buttons do clearly do bring up certain sections, it's not an actual data interface (like the behind the scens one) and which constituencies come up and what can be shown is seemingly decided before each touchscreen segment. I don't think it would actually be possible to bring up any constituency result or piece of data at a second's notice.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman, Stuart

(16-03-2023, 08:45 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 08:35 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The use of the touchscreen, as a touchscreen, seems to have tailed off significantly since the new Studio B set launched. It seems to be hardly ever used as such anymore. When they first started using the new B, didn’t the weather presenters even touch the screen to advance the forecast sequence?
The weather forecasters never used it as a touchscreen
I’ve looked back at the first broadcasts from the new B and you’re right. I was convinced weather used it for a couple of weeks. I’m clearly suffering from the Mandela Effect!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Stuart

Something just went awry during 'the walk' at the end of the Ten. Camera and lighting issues?

(16-03-2023, 11:37 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Something just went awry during 'the walk' at the end of the Ten. Camera and lighting issues?

Syncopatico must've had an upgrade and the 'intelligent' lighting having a moment.

In all seriousness, it almost seemed like motion-sensed lighting - but I doubt they'd have anything like that in B?

Notice they were still playing around with the camera height as Victoria took over London - she barely made it on in time!

On another note, NWT was playing a bed over Huw's handover to the nations and regions - VERY smooth transition into the show!
[-] The following 2 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • IanJRedman, Josh
Thread Closed