Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(16-03-2023, 11:46 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 11:37 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Something just went awry during 'the walk' at the end of the Ten. Camera and lighting issues?

Syncopatico must've had an upgrade and the 'intelligent' lighting having a moment.

In all seriousness, it almost seemed like motion-sensed lighting - but I doubt they'd have anything like that in B?

Notice they were still playing around with the camera height as Victoria took over London - she barely made it on in time!

On another note, NWT was playing a bed over Huw's handover to the nations and regions - VERY smooth transition into the show!

To my eyes, it looked like the lighting was off through the program, as if some part of the lamps and ring weren't working resulting in darker than usual studio and weird shadows all over the place. The walk was just the pinnacle.

(17-03-2023, 01:35 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 11:46 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Syncopatico must've had an upgrade and the 'intelligent' lighting having a moment.

In all seriousness, it almost seemed like motion-sensed lighting - but I doubt they'd have anything like that in B?

Notice they were still playing around with the camera height as Victoria took over London - she barely made it on in time!

On another note, NWT was playing a bed over Huw's handover to the nations and regions - VERY smooth transition into the show!

To my eyes, it looked like the lighting was off through the program, as if some part of the lamps and ring weren't working resulting in darker than usual studio and weird shadows all over the place. The walk was just the pinnacle.
The lighting was definitely very different on the Ten on Thursday. Upgraded or not, Huw wasn't looking as lit as usual. The studio itself however looked better than it ever has. 

The lighting blocks built into the desks to give the presenters faces more HD were not working, and the whole look and feel to it was all together different. Take a look on iPlayer.

I quite liked the darker look - it’s always felt a bit bright in B for the 10, intentional or not I preferred last night’s Huw hue…

(The opening link of the main story definitely had the camera at a different angle to usual, much more of the studio ceiling. I liked it but did wonder whether it was deliberate!)

[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon

From this week’s Popb*tch:

Quote:What was happening in the BBC news rooms on Friday, at the height of the Gary Lineker crisis, while employees' heads fell into their hands worried that they were all about to become a national laughing stock (again)?

Director of News Programmes, John McAndrew, brought his wife in for a little tour of the offices as he's lining her up for a job there.

Maybe you know her? Daisy McAndrew? Off TalkTV? She's been telling colleagues for a while that she'd be headed off to the Beeb soon, now that her husband was calling some shots there.

If it happens, it will leave a presenting spot free at The Talk. Who's going to get it? The smart money is currently on Penny Smith – but you sleep on WhatsApp's own Isabel Oakeshott at your peril...

twitter.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, Kojak, Rolling News, UTVLifer

twitter.com 

Interesting comments here from the creative director for BBC News.
[-] The following 5 users Like ConorW2000's post:
  • bakamann, bkman1990, interestednovice, oscillon, UTVLifer

Today's weekend shifts are a bit irregular
- The BBC One lunchtime bulletin is scheduled at 1145 this morning, Shaun Ley's morning shift is reduced to 0900-1130 and did the lunchtime bulletin at 1145. Rebecca Jones's afternoon shift started 1 hour early at 1200.
- For some reason, Ben Boulos took over the afternoon shift at 1600. On Twitter, he mentioned he will be on from 1600-1830. Usually the afternoon shift is 1300-1830.
[-] The following 2 users Like ALV's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

It looks like the carpet in the newsroom has been updated to dark grey. Last weekend it looked like only half of the carpet had been replaced. In the trundle cam shot tonight all of the floor is dark grey.

Edit - The section closest to the camera hasn't been replaced yet. 

[-] The following 7 users Like Phil's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, interestednovice, oscillon, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(16-03-2023, 05:31 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 02:41 PM)Frances Wrote:  Yes they normally used a filler read by Martine Croxall in C. After she’s investigated over that episode of The Papers, it’s replaced by Ben.
They could do with a longer script for it really. Martine and Ben both read it very slowly, and Maryam has a long pause at the end.
I know this isn't something that happens every day - or even every month! - but I'm starting to think it might be better if the regional previews were done before the bulletin. That way you'd eliminate the need for the whole 'and coming up in Sportsday [or whatever else] on the BBC News Channel,' which I've always found to be a little awkward, particularly if you're not watching on the News Channel! If the Beeb were clever they could even do away with the ident before - just have the regional presenter preview their programme and then say 'that's all coming up later, but now it's time for the BBC News at One/Six/Ten'.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986, xlalonce

(19-03-2023, 05:58 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(16-03-2023, 05:31 PM)Spencer Wrote:  They could do with a longer script for it really. Martine and Ben both read it very slowly, and Maryam has a long pause at the end.
I know this isn't something that happens every day - or even every month! - but I'm starting to think it might be better if the regional previews were done before the bulletin. That way you'd eliminate the need for the whole 'and coming up in Sportsday [or whatever else] on the BBC News Channel,' which I've always found to be a little awkward, particularly if you're not watching on the News Channel! If the Beeb were clever they could even do away with the ident before - just have the regional presenter preview their programme and then say 'that's all coming up later, but now it's time for the BBC News at One/Six/Ten'.
Something like ITV Regional shows do in the Chase at around 5:30.
[-] The following 2 users Like lepeterrr's post:
  • bkman1990, xlalonce
Thread Closed