Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Curious about this part in the Clean Feed post...
Quote:The familiar globe device has been recreated at higher quality. So expect it to be hanging about for a while yet.
[-] The following 3 users Like mdta's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Superman1986

I'm not really sure why the idea of the white-and-red pulsating globe look staying around, even if in an evolved form, is that surprising. While this forum may favour new over old, the current BBC News look is an incredibly strong, and arguably definitive, piece of branding. No previous identity comes anywhere close in scope or longevity and it has become globally recognisable as the BBC News symbol. It has gotten to the point where ditching the white and red globe outright could be actively harmful to the brand - particularly in an era of global misinformation when you don't want to make your product less recognisable.

That said, I am wary by the suggestion that mdta points out that they have recreated the globe graphics. None of the BBC's many in-house attempts to recreate the original Lambie-Nairn graphics have really matched their quality and detail - often ending up with a bit of a plasticky look. Even the newest ones used on set in Studio B, which are at the better end of attempts, fall short.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, freeaxe, interestednovice, Jayesyn, LDN, Nige, oscillon, Superman1986

(22-03-2023, 10:40 AM)news junkie Wrote:  Aren’t there different iterations of the 2008 globe? There’s nothing to suggest it won’t be the same design style but differently executed, perhaps NWT/newsround style with full globe in the middle?

Alternatively reposition as described above and just whack the bulletin numbers in between the logos centre screen
I always felt that the 2008-style title sequence (still used on WN) was too long. The perspective of the globe jumps around so much it makes me dizzy.

After many years of other iterations, Sky News finally have the right idea with their current titles:

[*]Start with your corporate logo - then add channel name
[*]Image of main story
[*]Flash quickly past some other current feeds from your media presence so people know where to go
[*]Bring in your channel logo again - with a nice snappy tagline
[*]Job done in just 15 seconds. I already know your headline topic and some other items you're covering. Lovely!

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • thePineapple

(22-03-2023, 11:35 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 10:40 AM)news junkie Wrote:  Aren’t there different iterations of the 2008 globe? There’s nothing to suggest it won’t be the same design style but differently executed, perhaps NWT/newsround style with full globe in the middle?

Alternatively reposition as described above and just whack the bulletin numbers in between the logos centre screen
I always felt that the 2008-style title sequence (still used on WN) was too long. The perspective of the globe jumps around so much it makes me dizzy.

After many years of other iterations, Sky News finally have the right idea with their current titles:

[*]Start with your corporate logo - then add channel name
[*]Image of main story
[*]Flash quickly past some other current feeds from your media presence so people know where to go
[*]Bring in your channel logo again - with a nice snappy tagline
[*]Job done in just 15 seconds.  I already know your headline topic and some other items you're covering. Lovely!

youtu.be 

Ew. 

I've always thought that version of the Sky titles was very much a poor man's Channel 4 News titles c.2005.
[-] The following 3 users Like Matrix's post:

(22-03-2023, 11:33 AM)DTV Wrote:  That said, I am wary by the suggestion that mdta points out that they have recreated the globe graphics. None of the BBC's many in-house attempts to recreate the original Lambie-Nairn graphics have really matched their quality and detail - often ending up with a bit of a plasticky look. Even the newest ones used on set in Studio B, which are at the better end of attempts, fall short.
What exactly do you mean by recreation? 2013 NBH-welcoming update (when, apart from tweaks to the globe sequence, the bulletin letters ceased being transparent and their font was updated)?

Or you're referring to what they recently did with Newsline? (This looks a bit on the cheap side, yes, as all the stripes of the globe now look thick (thanks to overlaying with the red image of NI) and move with one speed.)
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice, Superman1986

I think they said they are recreating a high quality 4k version of the globe ?
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:

I'm sure this has been raised before, but is it really necessary for PMQs to be broadcast on three BBC channels simultaneously every Wednesday?
[-] The following 7 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom, PatrZDZ, Stuart, Superman1986, thevaran

(22-03-2023, 11:33 AM)DTV Wrote:  That said, I am wary by the suggestion that mdta points out that they have recreated the globe graphics. None of the BBC's many in-house attempts to recreate the original Lambie-Nairn graphics have really matched their quality and detail - often ending up with a bit of a plasticky look. Even the newest ones used on set in Studio B, which are at the better end of attempts, fall short.

(22-03-2023, 12:23 PM)harshy Wrote:  I think they said they are recreating a high quality 4k version of the globe ?

Not sure I am wary, but more curious.

The 2008 branding was designed at a time where 1080p and 25fps was the highest expectation for graphics - and when we talk about higher quality today - well there are massive expectations.

Do they have access to the source files used by Lambie-Nairn, and are just re-rendering?

How did the 2013 refresh work?  Some shots show awkward framerate changes for instance.
World News moved to a distinctly more orange colour scheme.
You would think the cats cradle text would move to Reith this time.
Is this a recreation of the existing shots, or new titles using the same brand elements?
Is this done internally, if so are they the same ones responsible for Newsline, or Reporting Scotland?

What visual elements or textural treatments will be added to demonstrate this higher quality?

EDIT:
[Image: 9b4JTjd.png]
There are some subtle elements visible in print versions of the 2008 branding that don't always show up on TV - but is it enough?
[-] The following 3 users Like mdta's post:

(22-03-2023, 01:14 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I'm sure this has been raised before, but is it really necessary for PMQs to be broadcast on 3 BBC channels simultaneously every Wednesday?

I'd assume it's budget related when it comes to BBC Two. The NC is not broadcasting PMQ's today. Was it the same last week?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • interestednovice

(22-03-2023, 01:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 01:14 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I'm sure this has been raised before, but is it really necessary for PMQs to be broadcast on 3 BBC channels simultaneously every Wednesday?

I'd assume it's budget related when it comes to BBC Two. The NC is not broadcasting PMQ's today. Was it the same last week?
The NC crossed to Politics Live at 11:55am and is broadcasting PMQs right now. As is BBC 2. As is BBC Parliament.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • interestednovice
Thread Closed