Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(22-03-2023, 01:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 01:14 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I'm sure this has been raised before, but is it really necessary for PMQs to be broadcast on 3 BBC channels simultaneously every Wednesday?

I'd assume it's budget related when it comes to BBC Two. The NC is not broadcasting PMQ's today. Was it the same last week?

But it is, they threw it to Politics Live shortly before noon!
[Image: image.png]

Last week they did it too, as there was a Budget Statement.
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice, Newsroom

(22-03-2023, 01:21 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 01:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'd assume it's budget related when it comes to BBC Two. The NC is not broadcasting PMQ's today. Was it the same last week?
The NC crossed to Politics Live at 11:55am and is broadcasting PMQs right now. As is BBC 2. As is BBC Parliament.

Ahhhhh, my apologies, this was answered last week. When the NC takes another BBC channel it is possible to split hence why BBC World News is continuing with a bulletin from E with Rebecca Jones.

[Image: IMG_3325.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, oscillon

(22-03-2023, 12:16 PM)Matrix Wrote:  I've always thought that version of the Sky titles was very much a poor man's Channel 4 News titles c.2005.
Channel 4 News is a single daily programme, not a continuous news channel. They are entirely different animals.

Sky produce a dynamic and informative title sequence each hour. BBC News show a spinning globe from random angles which give me no information whatsoever, then launch into a headline sequence which is so long that you don't get anything extra from continuing to watch the rest of the programme.

In 15 seconds on Sky News I already know whether there is anything to take me further within that particular hourly broadcast. I'd continue to watch the full 90 second headline sequence if anything piqued my interest, then possibly into the full broadcast.

It's also used easily for even their branded programmes.  The example I provided was from Ian King Live this morning, but that brand is only shown after the headline sequence, on the lower thirds and stings before/after breaks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

(22-03-2023, 01:44 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Sky produce a dynamic and informative title sequence each hour. BBC News show a spinning globe from random angles which give me no information whatsoever, then launch into a headline sequence which is so long that you don't get anything extra from continuing to watch the rest of the programme.

In 15 seconds on Sky News I already know whether there is anything to take me further within that particular hourly broadcast. I'd continue to watch the full 90 second headline sequence if anything piqued my interest, then possibly into the full broadcast.
I personally cannot take much information in from the Sky News titles. There was an image of Boris Johnson and a Police uniform, but that was all that stood out to me. You can hardly read the actual information on the titles as it flies by too fast. The information shown on them is readily available on social media, the Sky News website, and will be shown straight after the titles on the TV channel - to me it comes across as repetitive and boring.

On the other hand, I think the BBC News titles work well. They feature the ubiquitous globe recognised all around the world, accompanied by catchy music that is equally as recognisable - perfect for strengthening the BBC News brand.
[-] The following 5 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, CATV, interestednovice, Tsigriwa, UTVLifer

(22-03-2023, 01:24 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 01:21 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  The NC crossed to Politics Live at 11:55am and is broadcasting PMQs right now. As is BBC 2. As is BBC Parliament.

Ahhhhh, my apologies, this was answered last week. When the NC takes another BBC channel it is possible to split hence why BBC World News is continuing with a bulletin from E with Rebecca Jones.

[Image: IMG_3325.jpg]
Exactly, the BBC News Channel can take output from other BBC channels easily, as this can be done simply by switching the router in NBH and putting the simulcast through a spare gallery (probably gallery A, given studio A is rarely used). Studio E (and gallery E, obviously) can then continue with a programme shown only on WN.

It’s the fact they don’t have a spare presenter, producers and production team that means they can’t do a proper opt at the moment.

Therefore, if the team in Millbank is producing Politics Live for BBC Two, the NC can opt out to show that - but must opt back in at the end of the programme as they don’t have the capability to produce solo output. Theoretically, there are ways around this if they really need an emergency UK opt, such as cancelling pilots in Studio C for the day and using the team there, but it’s not likely.

It works out quite well with the timing as the presenter can introduce Politics Live at 11:55 once World has gone to the weather.
[-] The following 2 users Like dvboy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

Familiar globe device recreated in higher quality... hmm  Huh

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like freeaxe's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Superman1986

(22-03-2023, 10:02 PM)dvboy Wrote:  It works out quite well with the timing as the presenter can introduce Politics Live at 11:55 once World has gone to the weather.

You mean:

*shuffles papers, looks down*
“You’re watching *pause* BBC News”
*bulletin close, awkward pause*
*presenter re-appears*
“Now, on BBC News, we join our team at Politics Live for Prime Minister’s Question’s”

Smoother than crashing into guide dogs unannounced (which they did again after the News at Ten yesterday!) but still a bit odd really.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, thevaran

(22-03-2023, 10:23 PM)freeaxe Wrote:  Familiar globe device recreated in higher quality... hmm  Huh

www.youtube.com 

Guess we’ll soon find out, but if they’ve actually gone to the effort of recreating the 2008 titles from scratch and you have to wonder why not just go with something new. Or stick with what the already have. It doesn’t make much sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • Superman1986

(22-03-2023, 11:31 PM)thomalex Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 10:23 PM)freeaxe Wrote:  Familiar globe device recreated in higher quality... hmm  Huh

www.youtube.com 

Guess we’ll soon find out, but if they’ve actually gone to the effort of recreating the 2008 titles from scratch and you have to wonder why not just go with something new. Or stick with what the already have. It doesn’t make much sense.

I think the going with something else, will involve bringing in a design firm (possibly Wolf Olins or BBC Creative) to design a full branding kit for online, social media, global news, domestic news, and international news output.

With the budget not allowing for it, any half-hearted  approach to branding at this stage would be a lot of work, only to be temporary.

So with the need to launch this new iteration of the news channels, to move to the new presenter schedules and work shift patterns - using the current brand elements, to create updated titles to reflect the new output - is the most cost effective, and least brand damaging approach.
[-] The following 7 users Like mdta's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Kojak, mashumarusero, Superman1986, Telefunken, UTVLifer
Thread Closed