Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

BBC News are claiming to be live with the Gwyneth Paltrow testimony but in fact they are about a minute behind what Sky News are showing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • interestednovice

(24-03-2023, 09:56 PM)oscillon Wrote:  May be it is my perception, bur it seems that BBC News started a somewhat heavier use of the sidebar explainer graphics during some live events. Previously it was used only during the big ones - like Sue Gray report, or budget statement. Now I've just seen two in a row - first about Gwyneth Paltrow trial, and now - about Biden's visit to Canada during the joint press conference (which kicked out today's Newswatch out of its usual place).
[Image: image.png]
The pushback sidebar is quite a useful at-a-glance overview and will be particularly appreciated if we are less likely to have correspondents on the scene to provide context in the future - it’s use is a positive.

I also agree, editorially, that bumping the pre-recorded Newswatch for live news is appropriate - it’s exactly what the BBC should be doing!

(24-03-2023, 10:34 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  BBC News are claiming to be live with the Gwyneth Paltrow testimony but in fact they are about a minute behind what Sky News are showing.

Probably a deliberately delayed feed in case they need to cut away.

This sort of thing is common for potentially-sensitive live content, although I’m a bit surprised Sky aren’t doing the same!
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001

(22-03-2023, 11:10 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 10:02 PM)dvboy Wrote:  It works out quite well with the timing as the presenter can introduce Politics Live at 11:55 once World has gone to the weather.

You mean:

*shuffles papers, looks down*
“You’re watching *pause* BBC News”
*bulletin close, awkward pause*
*presenter re-appears*
“Now, on BBC News, we join our team at Politics Live for Prime Minister’s Question’s”

Smoother than crashing into guide dogs unannounced (which they did again after the News at Ten yesterday!) but still a bit odd really.

It was much smoother than that on Wednesday morning with no awkward pauses on either channel. News Channel presenter Rebecca Jones said they were joining Politics Live and they cut to the programme just as Jo Coburn said that News Channel viewers were joining them. (you can see how well it was done on BBC Two from39:45 www.bbc.co.uk ).

Not sure how the News Channel cut away from Politics Live. Presumably BBC World News was doing its own thing while Politics Live was simulcast.
[-] The following 2 users Like dvboy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

I assume that Politics Live was scheduled to end at the start of an hour, so the BBC News Channel took the full ending (possibly including a reference to the programme being back tomorrow on BBC Two) and then either had no weather or used weather to fill until dead-on the hour so the NC could go back to joined WN bulletins. Meanwhile the same team would have continued for WN only the entire time?

Presumably a short This Week in History or other ad break covered the introduction of Politics Live on the WN feed.

It all sounds OK, but hasn’t been what has happened in the past!

BBC Two would have taken it’s own trails and continuity, obviously, to then follow into the next programme.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the simulcast ended before Politics Live finished on BBC Two. I just didn't see how, and don't have any way of checking back.

(25-03-2023, 12:38 AM)dvboy Wrote:  I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the simulcast ended before Politics Live finished on BBC Two. I just didn't see how, and don't have any way of checking back.

I saw it, there was no smooth transition. The NC crashed out of Politics Live around 12:35pm with Chris Mason in mid-flow, back into studio E with a pause and then "you're watching BBC News" from Rebecca Jones, and onto the next story.
There was nothing professional about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • interestednovice

NC running a little over-the-top with Gwyneth Barlow court case - they switched to it first thing after ending WNA, and did not even take News at Ten so they could switch back to it again at 22:08 for the rest of the hour.

At 11pm the court hearing ended for the day, so things went back to normal shortly afterwards.
[-] The following 4 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, Independent, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(25-03-2023, 01:05 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 12:38 AM)dvboy Wrote:  I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the simulcast ended before Politics Live finished on BBC Two. I just didn't see how, and don't have any way of checking back.

I saw it, there was no smooth transition. The NC crashed out of Politics Live around 12:35pm with Chris Mason in mid-flow, back into studio E with a pause and then "you're watching BBC News" from Rebecca Jones, and onto the next story.
There was nothing professional about it.

There’s the awkward phrase we know and love!

It works as a hello, goodbye, to fill time; anything at all. It also reassures the viewer when a messy opt does happen so they don’t think “is something wrong with my TV?”!
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

I saw a particularly awkward opt out from the news channel on BBC Two earlier in the week just at the start of an interview, where the newsreader not only explained that viewers on BBC Two were about to leave but also decided they'd better explain to international viewers that BBC Two is a channel in the UK. Hopefully they can find a smoother way to manage this with the new setup.
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

Better to have the context than no explanation at all!

Beyond 100 Days always aired the first half, only, on BBC Four but this was never acknowledged by the presenters. As BBC NC and WN were coming up to a break for the weather, this was introduced as “Coming up on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News” followed by a teaser and a sting. BBC Four then wordlessly left the broadcast!

(25-03-2023, 01:43 AM)oscillon Wrote:  NC running a little over-the-top with Gwyneth Barlow court case - they switched to it first thing after ending WNA, and did not even take News at Ten so they could switch back to it again at 22:08 for the rest of the hour.

At 11pm the court hearing ended for the day, so things went back to normal shortly afterwards.

I suspect it’s considered of interest to WN viewers, at least.

That creates a problem where, if they’ve decided to cover it on WN, will the UK NC be able to opt back in smoothly if it leaves rolling coverage to take the News at Ten? Given limited opting capabilities at the moment, the late evening hour, and the fact the NaT is on BBC One anyway, they probably decided to just “go with it” on the NC.

This is just one example where editorial priorities for WN will end up dictating what we see on the NC, now the two are not true separate services.

Changes to BBC One (with Network BBC One no longer as important, due to the regionalised HD rollout) and the WN merger meaning it’s impractical to routinely simulcast bulletins on the NC as the bulletins are no longer treated as an integrated part of the NC schedule means this sort of thing is more likely in general in the future.
Thread Closed