Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(11-09-2022, 09:37 AM)harshy Wrote:  I don’t think it will ever get fixed that hoop until the whole floor gets a revamp, not sure how they go about that when it’s clearly a working live newsroom.
With departments such as tech moving out of London I dare say there may be some space available elsewhere in NBH.

I imagine any repair will wait until whenever E gets an upgrade, and the news channel decamps to D or similar. That way they won't have to worry about scaffolding being visible in the background, or trying to repair/replace it over along weekend. Maybe if retained they'll consider adding in better access to it for maintenance.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

This article about Andrew Marr being replaced as the narration for the BBC tribute documentary to The Queen that was on BBC 1 at 8pm on Friday night, claims that

Quote:The BBC has relied on a small pool of household-name presenters for its coverage, which has been helmed by Huw Edwards – who with his contract up for renewal has himself been pictured holding talks at Global’s central London headquarters.

If Huw does leave the BBC, of course it could be a personal decision, but you have to wonder, just how much of its top talent is the BBC prepared to lose?

If people decide to leave there isn’t a lot the BBC can do other than replace them and wait for them to become such a big name they also leave.

Other than maybe another podcast and a slot on Classic FM not really sure what Global could really want him for or particularly need him.

To be honest, after hosting the Ten for 20 years (as he will have done next year) and delivering one of those moments of history as he did on Thursday, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he steps back from day-to-day news presenting in the new year. Who would blame him.

I would have thought at that point he'll assume more of a Dimbleby-style role for the BBC (or they will try and keep him so he does that), with major events and elections. But nowadays, that clearly doesn't preclude a Classic FM show or other opportunities.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, Ma76

(12-09-2022, 04:08 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  If Huw does leave the BBC, of course it could be a personal decision, but you have to wonder, just how much of its top talent is the BBC prepared to lose?

Huw leaving would be a big blow to the BBC, particularly given that the senior news presenter typically retires rather than 'defects'. But I don't think it would be an irreparable loss - they still have more than enough good quality newsreaders (Raworth, Myrie, etc.) to cover the Six, Ten and major events, as well as several others (Hill, Husain, Brown, etc.) who are are also top-tier presenters and could easily fill any voids.

It might be a bit sacrilegious to say, but I do think that, if anything, the BBC has more (particularly senior) presenters than it necessarily needs. Despite the cutbacks over the last decade-and-a-bit, the staff losses have disproportionately come from backroom staff and lower-level journalists. Other than the recent glut of defections to Global and retirements, they have actually been quite good at retaining presenters and major correspondents. This is particularly noticeable with the Six and Ten where there are nearly double the number of regular presenters than there were ten years ago.

Every defection might be a loss, but I don't think the BBC are exactly in shortage territory.

Or Huw could take up a management role... say Editor in Chief, Head of Newsroom etc... Huw's wealth of experience is qualified for him to take up a management role IMO and would benefit a lot to the news output~

Always thought Kirsty Young would be ideal in the chief / senior news and events presenter role.

(12-09-2022, 06:47 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Always thought Kirsty Young would be ideal in the chief / senior news and events presenter role.

She's not a bad shout - certainly a good presenter and well-suited to royal/national events. Not sure about things like elections though, which I feel could do with somebody with greater breaking news experience as it's basically an extended, more high-profile rolling news stint. It's a bit of a curveball, but Jane Hill is who I'd pick for election nights - there are few smoother rolling news presenters, certainly at the BBC.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990, Ma76

The BBC News at Six is on BBC1 right now with Reeta Chakrabarty from B, whilst on the News Channel, Matthew Amroliwala is on from E. First time I've seen him on the News Channel for a while.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, CF1, Former Member 406, Stuart, TVFan
Thread Closed