Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Was this the first time B has been used on a Saturday night?

(17-09-2022, 11:25 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Was this the first time B has been used on a Saturday night?

Studio B was used last Saturday as well. However, the programme closed with a video of imagery from the day's events.

Tonight may well have been the first time a Studio B news programme has ended with a wide shot of the studio.
[-] The following 4 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

Included the weather in the studio. Normally only for the 6 and 10 weekdays

(12-09-2022, 08:08 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(12-09-2022, 06:47 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Always thought Kirsty Young would be ideal in the chief / senior news and events presenter role.

She's not a bad shout - certainly a good presenter and well-suited to royal/national events. Not sure about things like elections though, which I feel could do with somebody with greater breaking news experience as it's basically an extended, more high-profile rolling news stint. It's a bit of a curveball, but Jane Hill is who I'd pick for election nights - there are few smoother rolling news presenters, certainly at the BBC.

Kirsty Young ruled herself out of ever going back to a newsroom full-time after 9/11, which she handled singlehandedly ITN's open-ended coverage with merit, despite not knowing if her husband was alive or dead. Fortunately he managed to confirm he was alive and well live on air. She did however go back to Channel 5 for a spell before standing down for personal reasons.

(18-09-2022, 11:51 AM)watchingtv Wrote:  Included the weather in the studio. Normally only for the 6 and 10 weekdays
Normally weather is included in the bulletin on Sundays.
But last Saturday both teatime (branded 6) and late (branded 10) had weather in the studio, yesterday only the late news contained.
So yesterday’s teatime news was the first studio B bulletin w/o weather.

I haven't seen Politics Live for a while, but I watched the video posted in another thread of their coverage of the Queen's ill health being announced last Thursday

youtu.be 

Surely they can do something better than those ugly cable ties under the desk?
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

Another article, this time in The Times, speculating whether Huw Edwards will stay with the BBC long term. Apparently, his contract is up next March. He's indicated in the past year that he doesn't want to continue presenting the news much longer, and it'll be 20 years next year of him presenting the Ten.
www.thetimes.co.uk 

This paragraph stands out to me:
Quote:“It’s likely the BBC would have to offer Huw a plum TV job to keep him, and the problem is, they’re in rather short supply at the moment,” said one BBC insider. “Amol [Rajan] has just got University Challenge; Fiona Bruce will expect a long stint on Question Time given that [David] Dimbleby did a quarter of a century and only went aged 80, and Clive [Myrie] is now everyone’s darling so he’ll surely keep Mastermind as long as he wants it.”

Which is true. If Huw steps back from the news but wants to carry on with a regular TV or radio show, as well as anchoring Election coverage and other big news events, there's not much going at the BBC at the moment, unless a new show is created for him. He already presents a monthly Welsh language show on Radio Cymru, but he might well want more than that on a regular basis in between anchoring big news events.

Personally, I'd find it hard to imagine the BBC without Huw Edwards. I'm biased as I'm Welsh, but he is one of their finest broadcasters.
[-] The following 3 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, ginnyfan, Ma76

If he wants to move on from news and another broadcaster is willing to get their cheque book out, what's the problem?

We've seen this week that state occasions are in safe hands if Huw moves on, Sophie and Mishal, amongst others, have shown themselves as being more than capable of leading that kind of coverage and getting the tone pitch perfect.

If the commercial sector come knocking I don't see any particular need for a cash strapped BBC to get into a bidding war or pay silly money to keep him. 

Wish the fella well, treat him with respect (no gardening leave nonsense), pay generous tribute to his contribution over the years, give him a good send-off on air and put put out a press release articulating a desire to work with him on a freelance basis in the future. No bridges burned, all doors remain open when the right project comes along.

Or is that too simplistic?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • all new phil

(18-09-2022, 05:47 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  If he wants to move on from news and another broadcaster is willing to get their cheque book out, what's the problem?

We've seen this week that state occasions are in safe hands if Huw moves on, Sophie and Mishal, amongst others, have shown themselves as being more than capable of leading that kind of coverage and getting the tone pitch perfect.

If the commercial sector come knocking I don't see any particular need for a cash strapped BBC to get into a bidding war or pay silly money to keep him. 

Wish the fella well, treat him with respect (no gardening leave nonsense), pay generous tribute to his contribution over the years, give him a good send-off on air and put put out a press release articulating a desire to work with him on a freelance basis in the future. No bridges burned, all doors remain open when the right project comes along.

Or is that too simplistic?
I think it's simplistic to think that the skills and knowledge required to guide the country through a royal death, for which the plans have been extentively planned and rehersed, are directly transferable to other major occasions such as general elections. Whilst I don't doubt this week has been exceptionally challenging for the broadcasters involved the kind of challenges faced are different to those faced during major political coverage.
Being able to guide the country through a period of collective grief where guests will largely be painting the same picture and the events are largely expected is completely different to being able to guide the country through an election night where the unexpected is to be expected and guests will try and mislead viewers in various different ways. Arguably the one bit of the coverage that is most similar to an election night or similar event is the speculation in the hours leading up to the death announcement and that period of coverage showed Huw to simply be in a different class at such events compared to Clive Myrie.
Would it make sense to throw a blank check at Huw? Probably not, but that doesn't mean the BBC shouldn't seriously be considering what it can do to keep him even if that may involve annoying some but not all (with the impact on those a similar age or older being less important than those significantly younger or you are just kicking the can down the road) other presenters (and at the end of the day it appears Amol Rajan is alienting half the BBC in any case so they may have to make a hard choice in that regard before to long in any case).
[-] The following 1 user Likes qwerty123's post:
  • ginnyfan

I'm certainly not going to get into slagging off Clive Myrie!

Huw is an excellent broadcaster but there are several of his colleagues who are more then capable of stepping up.
Thread Closed