Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(02-10-2022, 09:54 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  
(01-10-2022, 07:08 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Next Friday 7th October looks to be the last ever edition of Dateline London.
The following Friday 14th October at 7:30pm is a repeat of Unspun World.
www.bbc.co.uk 

Baffling decision. Some great insights from many knowledgeable contributors over the years. Managed to catch one of the airings most weekends. Surely can't be that expensive to make?

It costs £70,000 per annum to make, according to figures that were going around in the spring, which is chicken feed in TV production terms - especially for something technically produced by an external production company and considering it is shown over half-a-dozen times across two channels each week. Most of that cost is appearance fees as it requires no additional staffing or presenters. Though, IIRC, it's not officially been axed for budgetary reasons, but rather for 'modernisation' reasons and will be replaced by something 'similar' - i.e. considered discussion between people who know what they are talking about isn't clippable for social media, while over-opinionated loudmouths, a la Politics Live, are.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak, Ma76

Interesting schedule changes today… The NC is taking Politics Live at 10:30AM so the 10AM simulcast is shortened to 30 minutes. WN is airing Click at the BOTH to fill time before LWLH at 11AM.

(05-10-2022, 10:56 AM)ALV Wrote:  Interesting schedule changes today… The NC is taking Politics Live at 10:30AM so the 10AM simulcast is shortened to 30 minutes. WN is airing Click at the BOTH to fill time before LWLH at 11AM.

What is LWLH?

Possibly Live With Lucy Hockings?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AJB39

(05-10-2022, 06:43 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(05-10-2022, 10:56 AM)ALV Wrote:  Interesting schedule changes today… The NC is taking Politics Live at 10:30AM so the 10AM simulcast is shortened to 30 minutes. WN is airing Click at the BOTH to fill time before LWLH at 11AM.

What is LWLH?

Live with Lucy Hockings - I borrowed this abbreviation from TVForum and TV Live Forum back in the days...

I think previously the NC joined Daily Politics and later, Politics Live, at 11 during party conferences…

Was just wondering if this is something of a 'first' for single programme/podcast?

The BBC's Newscast today opened and closed with input from Chris Mason, BBC Political Editor (down the line) and also featured a political discussion between Robert Peston (ITV News Political Editor), Beth Rigby (Sky News Political Editor), and Alex Forsyth (BBC Political Correspondent) who were all at NBH.

As members of 'the lobby' it's always been clear the Political editors and correspondents know each other quite well, but I was surprised that the friendly-rivalries are now so relaxed they appeared all on the same programme on one broadcaster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • Ma76

If I can be pedantic for a second - they were at Millbank rather than NBH for the studio sections.

I think a lot of the rivalries are overplayed, particularly if you consider how frequently people move between broadcasters everyone knows each other. It's a relatively small industry and everyone is covering the same events often from adjacent live positions.
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Ma76, scottishtv, Stuart

(07-10-2022, 08:16 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  If I can be pedantic for a second - they were at Millbank rather than NBH for the studio sections.

I think a lot of the rivalries are overplayed, particularly if you consider how frequently people move between broadcasters everyone knows each other. It's a relatively small industry and everyone is covering the same events often from adjacent live positions.
Yes, I think that's right. It's worth remembering that quite a lot of the teams are quite small, particularly in comparison with some of the other business units so people know each other well. For the topic of the podcast, it worked perfectly - and I'd argue it's important that Auntie doesn't just talk about how Aunty covers a story. There are rivalries - John Pienaar and Nick Robinson, for example, couldn't be in the same room at times - but these are few and far between in reality.

Ah sorry, I meant more the broadcaster rivalries rather than individuals. I suppose Sky and ITV don't really have an equivalent programme so they aren't competing for viewers/listeners to Newscast.

I doubt it will be a frequent occurrence so quite interesting to see it happen. They will also be quite mindful of providing analysis as opposed to opinion, which can become a little more tricky when you're a guest as opposed to a presenter.

I still can't imagine seeing Chris Mason on the Peston show's sofa, for example.
Thread Closed