Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(10-10-2022, 09:42 AM)Frances Wrote:  Is the NC 8pm cast axed? The schedule reveals Outside Source will be extended once again starting tonight…

It certainly looks that way. Sunday with Laura K looks to be a permanent fixture in the NC schedule on Sundays at 9am now as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if Politics Live eventually becomes a permanent simulcast as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • Newsroom

(10-10-2022, 10:40 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  It certainly looks that way. Sunday with Laura K looks to be a permanent fixture in the NC schedule on Sundays at 9am now as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if Politics Live eventually becomes a permanent simulcast as well.
Last Sunday (9/10) the NC took Sunday with LK at 9AM but WN was still doing its own separate bulletins with the morning shift presenter. I don't see what costs are being saved here since the shift is still retained - They'll still be simulcasting anyways..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ALV's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(10-10-2022, 10:46 AM)ALV Wrote:  
(10-10-2022, 10:40 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  It certainly looks that way. Sunday with Laura K looks to be a permanent fixture in the NC schedule on Sundays at 9am now as well.

Last Sunday (9/10) the NC took Sunday with LK at 9AM but WN was still doing its own separate bulletins with the morning shift presenter. I don't see what costs are being saved here since the shift is still retained - They'll still be simulcasting anyways..

Sunday with Laura K is in the NC schedule on iPlayer next Sunday (16/10) at 9am as well, so I assume it's now a permanent fixture on the NC on Sundays at 9am. 
Obviously it's thought simulcasting Sunday with Laura K permanently is of more value to UK viewers than a NC & World simulcast.......

As I've said before, it looks like the newly merged channel will be a mish mash of simulcasts of BBC 1 news bulletins, BBC 1 & 2 current affairs & politics shows (Newsnight, Sunday with LK, Politics Live, probably Question Time), Nicky Campbell from 5Live in the mornings, and World News simulcasts to fill the gaps in between. 
What a mess, and it's no wonder staff are demoralised and leaving in their droves.
[-] The following 6 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, fatal paper cut, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(10-10-2022, 11:08 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  

Sunday with Laura K is in the NC schedule on iPlayer next Sunday (16/10) at 9am as well, so I assume it's now a permanent fixture on the NC on Sundays at 9am. 
Obviously it's thought simulcasting Sunday with Laura K permanently is of more value to UK viewers than a NC & World simulcast.......

As I've said before, it looks like the newly merged channel will be a mish mash of simulcasts of BBC 1 news bulletins, BBC 1 & 2 current affairs & politics shows (Newsnight, Sunday with LK, Politics Live, probably Question Time), Nicky Campbell from 5Live in the mornings, and World News simulcasts to fill the gaps in between. 
What a mess, and it's no wonder staff are demoralised and leaving in their droves.
Then there needs to be a huge u-turn within the next few months or they will basically kill the News Channel stone dead-i wouldn't be surpised if it turns out it costs MORE to simulcast a programme not less.
[-] The following 6 users Like News76's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Ma76, Newsroom, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

It's awful watching the NC turn into effectively a channel of simulcasts: watching the UK be deprived of a trusted source of breaking news. It's just as bad as the huge cuts to the World Service, which will make it harder for people the world over to access impartial content, or the closing of CBBC, which will alienate young people.

The list of impacts of this government's ineptitude is long, but perhaps the real-terms cut to the license fee is the most overlooked. After all, what we're seeing now is down to them.
[-] The following 5 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Ma76, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell

(10-10-2022, 05:25 PM)News76 Wrote:  

Then there needs to be a huge u-turn within the next few months or they will basically kill the News Channel stone dead-i wouldn't be surpised if it turns out it costs MORE to simulcast a programme not less.
The News Channel's slow death has already begun, we're seeing it already, it's death by a thousand cuts. The BBC just does not have the money to save the channel, a full U-turn is hugely unlikely.

The cuts to NC-only programming will keep coming over the next few months, and BBC 1 & 2 and World simulcasts will gradually increase, until there's not much left and it can then easily be merged with World News next Spring.

(10-10-2022, 05:58 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(10-10-2022, 05:25 PM)News76 Wrote:  

The News Channel's slow death has already begun, we're seeing it already, it's death by a thousand cuts. The BBC just does not have the money to save the channel, a full U-turn is hugely unlikely.

The cuts to NC-only programming will keep coming over the next few months, and BBC 1 & 2 and World simulcasts will gradually increase, until there's not much left and it can then easily be merged with World News next Spring.

Then i'll wait, til the end of time if i have too-If they wanted death by a thousand cuts the should have come the World end of things as there is nothing left to with the News Channel-And they make this merger London centric or not at all.

Judging by the tweet it seems it can confirmed that OS has been extended to 2 hours, however the EPG on BBC World News still shows Sport Today will be on at 2030 so I guess the final half hour will be NC only... Why does it feel like the recent schedule changes are rushed? There are no announcements or whatsoever on air, everything is just axed or changed silently...
twitter.com 

(10-10-2022, 07:29 PM)News76 Wrote:  Then i'll wait, til the end of time if i have too-If they wanted death by a thousand cuts the should have come the World end of things as there is nothing left to with the News Channel-And they make this merger London centric or not at all.

You're going to be waiting indefinitely. The BBC is currently being (deliberately) starved of cash by the UK government. World News brings in lucrative advertising and sponsorship revenue from around the world, it might not be huge amounts but it's extra income for the BBC. The News Channel brings in nothing and is another expense from a dwindling license fee pot. World News was never going to be cut or closed in favour of the News Channel.

I don't agree with the demise of the NC by the way, far from it. I'd like nothing more than to see the NC restored to how it was in 2012/13 after the move to NBH. But we need realism here, we are where we are, that's simply not going to happen.
[-] The following 5 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Former Member 406, Frances, Ma76

Does Panorama no longer take its intro and theme package?
Thread Closed