Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(10-10-2022, 08:13 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(10-10-2022, 07:29 PM)News76 Wrote:  Then i'll wait, til the end of time if i have too-If they wanted death by a thousand cuts the should have come the World end of things as there is nothing left to with the News Channel-And they make this merger London centric or not at all.

You're going to be waiting indefinitely. The BBC is currently being (deliberately) starved of cash by the UK government. World News brings in lucrative advertising and sponsorship revenue from around the world, it might not be huge amounts but it's extra income for the BBC. The News Channel brings in nothing and is another expense from a dwindling license fee pot. World News was never going to be cut or closed in favour of the News Channel.

I don't agree with the demise of the NC by the way, far from it. I'd like nothing more than to see the NC restored to how it was in 2012/13 after the move to NBH. But we need realism here, we are where we are, that's simply not going to happen.

If that's how long it takes, indefinitely is fine with me!

(10-10-2022, 08:13 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  You're going to be waiting indefinitely. The BBC is currently being (deliberately) starved of cash by the UK government. World News brings in lucrative advertising and sponsorship revenue from around the world, it might not be huge amounts but it's extra income for the BBC. The News Channel brings in nothing and is another expense from a dwindling license fee pot. World News was never going to be cut or closed in favour of the News Channel.

I don't agree with the demise of the NC by the way, far from it. I'd like nothing more than to see the NC restored to how it was in 2012/13 after the move to NBH. But we need realism here, we are where we are, that's simply not going to happen.

Yep, this is fundamentally the position we are in. The best we can hope for is that they choose one of the options that allows for some degree of separated programming during the afternoons. Though, despite there being clear cost-effective options for this, I increasingly doubt any of them will be taken.

It is all far from ideal, but it is the financial reality and is really the only path where you end up with any form of BBC News channel in the UK. I know there are some who feel that World should take the brunt, but, as I've explained before, there is no plausible situation in which BBC World News becomes financially unviable that does not end in the demise of the BBC News channel as well.

PS, on an unrelated note, can people please crop quotes - the forum gets very hard to read when every other post includes a four-quote thread in it.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

Yes, it's about money and budget cuts but it's also about WRONG scheduling decision. I mean, if NC is going to simulcast Breakfast, BBC national bulletins, radio shows and politics shows, while World airs live news coverage, then that's not a financial decision, it's just a very bad, clueless scheduling decision.
[-] The following 8 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, eyeTV, JamesWorldNews, Ma76, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(10-10-2022, 10:00 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Yes, it's about money and budget cuts but it's also about WRONG scheduling decision. I mean, if NC is going to simulcast Breakfast, BBC national bulletins, radio shows and politics shows, while World airs live news coverage, then that's not a financial decision, it's just a very bad, clueless scheduling decision.

Yes, it would be much better to drop the pretence that the new channel will be a UK-focussed news service, and instead simply close down the NC and replace it with BBC World News, 24 hours a day. And call the channel BBC World News, so viewers know what to expect. 

I see absolutely no value in simulcasting and re-broadcasting news, political & current affairs shows on the NC that are going out on other BBC channels at the same time, whether it's TV or radio shows, and will be available on iPlayer immediately afterwards.

If the proposals for the UK side of this new channel had been the original proposal for News 24 in 1997, I'm sure News 24 never would've made it past the proposal stage.
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, ginnyfan, Ma76, UTVLifer

(10-10-2022, 11:15 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  If the proposals for the UK side of this new channel had been the original proposal for News 24 in 1997, I'm sure News 24 never would've made it past the proposal stage.

Comparisons between now and the launch proposals back in 1997 are kind of fascinating. At launch, the channel was sort of the 'idealised' public service news channel - not just general news every hour, but daily programmes and segments on sport, science and technology, European politics and entertainment news. At weekends you had 4-hour sports blocks and, from mid-1998, two daily BBC World News bulletins and two programmes covering stories from the UK regional newsrooms. It may, by many accounts, have been slightly shambolic in execution, but, on paper, it was really what a BBC News channel should be doing - supplementing what was on BBC One and Two by providing depth and range that was not available on the main channels. Just imagine what such a channel would look like today!

Sadly, though, the history of BBC News 24/BBC News has basically been that idealised vision being chipped away bit-by-bit. The journey from a supplementary service through to a blander but useful rolling news service through to one that, it seems like, will largely offer up programming that is available elsewhere - a channel serving only those who have lost their remote.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Kojak, Ma76, Radio_man, Stuart

Why is having LK on the BBC NC bad when "Sophy Ridge on Sunday" is on Sky? Same question for "Politics Live" on the BBC NC when Sky had "All Out Politics". Many non-UK news channels have political shows as part of their schedules.
CBC: "Power & Politics" and Rosemary Barton.
CTV: "Power Play" and "Question Period"
ABC (Australia): "Afternoon Briefing" and "Insiders"
[-] The following 2 users Like Independent's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, UTVLifer

With all of these recent announcements about the closure of Dateline London & The Film Review from the BBC coming out this week. I have a few things to say about that.

It gives us a very timely reminder that the BBC NC is very slowly going through many chasms of hell in a handbasket. And the amount of times one gets through each chasm after another when compared to the last one. The punishment of going through them gets harder & harder bit by bit.

People posting here on this site really cannot be naive as to what is happening right now with the current status of this channel while it is currently being funded by the licence fee. The effects from all of the cutbacks to the channel to date & in the future are going to be extremely painful for people to swallow over the next few months.

As we have seen so far. There have been a few nasty shocks along the way. However these devastating announcements from the BBC could become more pronounced until we get to next spring.

And whatever happens to the BBC NC after all of the cutbacks have thoroughly exhausted by then. Viewers who live in the UK won't be able to recognize the status of the channel from days gone by once that happens. It could give off a very emotional response from the viewers once the cutbacks are over.

And it is not the fault of the BBC that sees it as necessary. It is the government of the day that is the main instigator of the NC's eventual demise.

It is being used as their so-called gift to destroy British democracy once and for all. And it is their thrust of power that makes this eventuality even more sickening by the day until it eventually takes place.

That is all that I will say for now.
[-] The following 6 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AndrewP, Frances, PatrZDZ, Radio_man, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(11-10-2022, 12:39 AM)Independent Wrote:  Why is having LK on the BBC NC bad when "Sophy Ridge on Sunday" is on Sky? Same question for "Politics Live" on the BBC NC when Sky had "All Out Politics". Many non-UK news channels have political shows as part of their schedules.

It's not really the principle that's the problem, there is a lot missing in terms of politics coverage the BBC should be offering, but there's just no real purpose in simulcasting what are on other UK channels. Let's not kid ourselves here, the only reason these are being put on the NC is so they can claim a higher % of 'UK-only' output on the merged channel. It's not to benefit the audience, it's to massage figures. If they were actually committed to improving politics output on the channel they'd be talking about things like visualising Today in Parliament.

(Though, to be quite honest, the only thing I'd like to see happen to Politics Live is see it axed).
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • Independent, Radio_man, UTVLifer

(11-10-2022, 01:58 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Viewers who live in the UK won't be able to recognize the status of the channel from days gone by once that happens. It could give off a very emotional response from the viewers once the cutbacks are over.

And it is not the fault of the BBC that sees it as necessary. It is the government of the day that is the main instigator of the NC's eventual demise.

It is being used as their so-called gift to destroy British democracy once and for all. And it is their thrust of power that makes this eventuality even more sickening by the day until it eventually takes place.

That is all that I will say for now.

Regarding your first point - I think you’re hugely overstating the ‘affection’ for the channel, which probably doesn’t extend much beyond this forum. 

As for your second point regarding the government - it isn’t the government who says what gets spent where. Almost every government department and private business is in a situation where there isn’t as much money coming in to pay for everything they would love to do in an ideal world. Those of us who live and work in the real world know full well that the BBC isn’t unique in this respect. You can point the finger at the government as much as you’d like but I can guarantee you this - no major party will be going into the next election during a time of huge cost of living pressures with a plan to increase the license fee. 

I find it absolutely unpalatable that the BBC continues to cut services whilst maintaining huge salaries for its presenters. That is a choice that they have made.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • chris, Jeff, steve, Stuart

(11-10-2022, 09:28 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(11-10-2022, 12:39 AM)Independent Wrote:  Why is having LK on the BBC NC bad when "Sophy Ridge on Sunday" is on Sky? Same question for "Politics Live" on the BBC NC when Sky had "All Out Politics". Many non-UK news channels have political shows as part of their schedules.

It's not really the principle that's the problem, there is a lot missing in terms of politics coverage the BBC should be offering, but there's just no real purpose in simulcasting what are on other UK channels. Let's not kid ourselves here, the only reason these are being put on the NC is so they can claim a higher % of 'UK-only' output on the merged channel. It's not to benefit the audience, it's to massage figures. If they were actually committed to improving politics output on the channel they'd be talking about things like visualising Today in Parliament.

(Though, to be quite honest, the only thing I'd like to see happen to Politics Live is see it axed).

Why do you want to see Politics Live axed?
Thread Closed