Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

BBC News Special on BBC ONE at 13.45 which probably explains why Shaun Ley is in C.

EDIT: Or perhaps not quiet yet? 

EDIT 2: News Special now at 14.15 on BBC ONE

[Image: SPECIAL.jpg]

Geeta Guru-Murthy on BBC News a couple minutes before 4pm, in response to/explaining an awkward moment where nothing happened after she said goodbye, remarked - and I paraphrase - that they were just saying goodbye to viewers on BBC One... which is odd considering they weren't being shown on BBC One, which cut away from news coverage at 3:15pm.

(14-10-2022, 04:04 PM)octothorpe Wrote:  Geeta Guru-Murthy on BBC News a couple minutes before 4pm, in response to/explaining an awkward moment where nothing happened after she said goodbye, remarked - and I paraphrase - that they were just saying goodbye to viewers on BBC One... which is odd considering they weren't being shown on BBC One, which cut away from news coverage at 3:15pm.

They were obviously pausing for World to opt-out for a break, as it seems it's standard now that whenever a big news story breaks, whether it's an international story or a domestic, UK-centred story, World & the NC go into simulcasting. 

Although in my opinion, it's hardly appropriate for BBC WN to get rolling coverage of the minutiae of Westminster politics and the never-ending Tory psychodrama.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • UTVLifer

At 6PM the NC is taking the Six while WN is doing it's own coverage. The WN's bulletin is produced by the NC team from Studio E, with Geeta Guru-Murthy in Downing Street and Shaun Ley in Studio E, complete with the NC long titles.

(14-10-2022, 05:22 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Although in my opinion, it's hardly appropriate for BBC WN to get rolling coverage of the minutiae of Westminster politics and the never-ending Tory psychodrama.

Agreed, in the past 5 hours the WN has been ONLY covering the chancellor story with the NC and no other international news. Is 5 hours of blanket UK politics coverage really relevant for international audiences?
[-] The following 4 users Like ALV's post:
  • bkman1990, lepeterrr, Radio_man, UTVLifer

Geeta and Krishnan Guru-Murthy standing right next to each other and anchoring for their respective outlets! (Geeta: BBC World/Krishnan: Channel 4 News).

A very rare occurrence. Don’t recall anything like it before.
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Ma76, Superman1986

(14-10-2022, 06:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  Agreed, in the past 5 hours the WN has been ONLY covering the chancellor story with the NC and no other international news. Is 5 hours of blanket UK politics coverage really relevant for international audiences?

Almost certainly not. A main story, possibly, but not the only story when it's not even a head of government resigning. And, on an international news channel, it should really be behind Iran and Ukraine on the running order today.

But I expect this is what we'll end up with the merger next year. I was always deeply sceptical that the BBC would actually have the balls to go full international news channel and this basically confirms that a standard day on the new channel will be filled with 10am hour-style smudges all day, with breaking UK politics stories dominating when they come up. I'm sure the BBC World audience will love coverage of Ed Davey's speech to the Lib Dem conference, hours of analysing single parliamentary by-elections and days of speculating about potential cabinet resignations. And, of course, if that World audience dips, bye-bye both channels anyway!
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, Kojak, Ma76, Radio_man, Roger Darthwell

Filler rather than countdown being used since before 6pm. Shawn just mentioned at the beginning and the end that it was the last dateline London edition. Did the Film Review get an outing earlier?

(14-10-2022, 08:02 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  Filler rather than countdown being used since before 6pm. Shawn just mentioned at the beginning and the end that it was the last dateline London edition. Did the Film Review get an outing earlier?

The EPG showed The Film Review will be at 2045 but before 2000 they still played a trailer for Newswatch…

And that's the final Dateline London:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, watchingtv

(14-10-2022, 04:04 PM)octothorpe Wrote:  Geeta Guru-Murthy on BBC News a couple minutes before 4pm, in response to/explaining an awkward moment where nothing happened after she said goodbye, remarked - and I paraphrase - that they were just saying goodbye to viewers on BBC One... which is odd considering they weren't being shown on BBC One, which cut away from news coverage at 3:15pm.

I thought she said 'BBC World'.

I'll need to catch up on the final Dateline - life usually gets in the way of me watching it these days, but I was a regular viewer in the 2000s. I remember it used to be a programme of two halves - 20 minutes or so, then a news summary, then another half an hour. The first part only went out on News 24, I think, while the second half was a standalone so it was easier to repeat on World. (Or was it the other way around?)
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • JamesWorldNews
Thread Closed