Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(18-10-2022, 06:41 PM)Josh Wrote:  Some troubles with the opt wall tonight on the 6, Channel Islands (4 across, 2 up) accidentally showing a feed of studio B:
i.imgur.com 

I think it's East Midlands Today that's missing. You can see Channel Islands second one over on the top row.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Phil's post:
  • Josh

(16-10-2022, 07:39 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  Annita McVeigh made her network Weekend News yesterday anchoring both evening bulletins. Never quite understood why they'd never deployed her before now, other than the occasional lunchtime Saturday bulletin which they're happy to have anyone present. I've never understood why they stopped Joanna Gosling from appearing on network bulletins as she use to do. I remember her on weekday Breakfast and the weekend bulletins.

Joanna occasionally does the News at 1. She's on location leading today's bulletin and also did it from the studio a few weeks ago. As somebody else mentioned, maybe she prefers working daytime hours due to personal circumstances etc.

Again, the simulcast not working. Shaun Ley ending the 7pm hour saying to stay with BBC News for the latest, then a brief pause and hime welcoming viewers on PBS and introducing the topic of the chaos at Westminister with some more neutral language ('interior minister, or as the British call it, home secretary', 'the Scottish National Party, who want independence for Scotland' etc). But the level of coverage is way too much for viewers on PBS and around the world, I'd argue.

I'd say there are two reasonable options - close the domestic coverage by saying something like 'that's the end of our UK specific coverage on BBC News channel for now, for continuing coverage of UK politics please tune to Radio 5 Live or go to the BBC News website or app. We'll have more UK news coverage on TV at 10. Now, we'll join BBC World News for today's global news stories' (and then do actual world news for a world audience) OR actually provide separate domestic and international coverage.

Indirectly related to the above - what's with the 'BBC London' graphic on this video that looks to have been clipped from the news channel? I don't believe it was on BBC London, I can hear Channel 4 News's Gary Gibbon in the background suggesting it was after 7pm!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • James, Ma76, Newsroom

(19-10-2022, 08:10 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  I'd say there are two reasonable options - close the domestic coverage by saying something like 'that's the end of our UK specific coverage on BBC News channel for now, for continuing coverage of UK politics please tune to Radio 5 Live or go to the BBC News website or app. We'll have more UK news coverage on TV at 10. Now, we'll join BBC World News for today's global news stories' (and then do actual world news for a world audience) OR actually provide separate domestic and international coverage.

I think this is a spot on observation. I think ultimately they need to own whatever format they end up with rather than pretend they’re one thing to one audience and another thing elsewhere, and signposting Five Live etc makes much more sense than essentially pleasing no one with such awkward and disjointed coverage.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • James, LargelyALurker, Ma76

My goodness, Huw does seem to ALWAYS be on location when there is major news elsewhere. I'm not taking away anything from the BBC's efforts in Sunderland today, but it's always Huw who gets stuck somewhere nowhere near the action.

Westminster is in chaos this evening watching all the channels and social media. Never seen anything like it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • Ma76, m_in_m, Radio_man

Fundamentally, the last few months, and I expect the next few months, could not be undermining the idea of merging the two channels any more if they tried. Even in their worst nightmares, the BBC could not have imagined a worse news agenda - a perfect storm of near-constant top-tier UK stories only intermittently relevant to international audiences.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • James, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(19-10-2022, 08:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  My goodness, Huw does seem to ALWAYS be on location when there is major news elsewhere. I'm not taking away anything from the BBC's efforts in Sunderland today, but it's always Huw who gets stuck somewhere nowhere near the action.

Westminster is in chaos this evening watching all the channels and social media. Never seen anything like it.

Exactly. Unless Sophie is on standby in London, Huw presenting tonight's Ten from the National Glass Museum in Sunderland couldn't be more inappropriate.
Unless the BBC has chartered a helicopter to get Huw back to NBH for the Ten? There couldn't be a worse evening for him to be away from NBH

Also surely the BBC would know not to plan an on-location bulletin of planned news in a political crisis?

While events in Westminster are chaotic and shambolic, the real news away from the bubble is the impact that has on all of us. So actually I’m all for Huw being in Sunderland to translate (as the Six did v well) how this isn’t about plots and positioning for most of us it’s about whether we can heat our homes and whether our businesses can survive. Chris Mason and co are more than adequate to be at Westminster to cover everything!
[-] The following 5 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, ginnyfan, Ma76, TVFan

(19-10-2022, 08:35 PM)steve Wrote:  While events in Westminster are chaotic and shambolic, the real news away from the bubble is the impact that has on all of us. So actually I’m all for Huw being in Sunderland to translate (as the Six did v well) how this isn’t about plots and positioning for most of us it’s about whether we can heat our homes and whether our businesses can survive. Chris Mason and co are more than adequate to be at Westminster to cover everything!

Could not agree more.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • thePineapple

The presentation doesn’t change significantly because Huw is in Sunderland. He would either way ultimately end up interviewing people down the line in Westminster. That is an advantage of it being a politics story that is breaking.
Thread Closed