Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Regardless, my point was he always seems to get caught out and on location when there is a major story breaking elsewhere. It’s a mere observation, not an opinion on whether he should be here, there or anywhere.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Shaun Ley anchoring from College Green is bloody good, isn't he?
[-] The following 10 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AJB39, bai4943, bkman1990, James, Jayesyn, Ma76, Moz, Omnipresent, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(19-10-2022, 08:52 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Shaun Ley anchoring from College Green is bloody good, isn't he?

He is certainly one of the BBC News channel's best. One of the few news presenters to be able to be 'conversational' in a warm and natural way, others tend to sound a bit clunky or, at worst, condescending (no I'm not thinking of a particular newsreader for a rival broadcaster). Also really comes alive with politics stories, no doubt thanks to his years spent at Millbank.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • ACTV, AJB39, bai4943, bkman1990, Jayesyn, Ma76, UTVLifer

Full credit to him, Shaun Ley is doing a sterling job there.

As others have said, PBS joining for half an hour on the latest on the chaos in Westminster specific i.e. specific to UK audiences surely doesn't make any sense for an American/international audience. Credit to Shaun for adapting what he says to make it more relevant to Americans (i.e. mentioning the upcoming mid-terms) in order to try and make it more relevant.

It shows that these further budget cuts to the BBC leading to the merging of the channels are really going to be a detriment to both services if they try and do a mish-mash service going forward like this.
[-] The following 5 users Like JamieD's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, James, Ma76, Newsroom

Absolutely ridiculous there has been zero World News all evening.

It’s not as though Nuala and Maryam (who’ve been covering) both OS and Context won’t have been at NBH.

A pathetic editorial decision that as many have said already just stinks of what’s to come when the merger happens. There is no balance at all at the moment.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • Independent, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(19-10-2022, 08:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  My goodness, Huw does seem to ALWAYS be on location when there is major news elsewhere. I'm not taking away anything from the BBC's efforts in Sunderland today, but it's always Huw who gets stuck somewhere nowhere near the action.

Westminster is in chaos this evening watching all the channels and social media. Never seen anything like it.

Why exactly have they sent Huw to Sunderland?

We hear views from voters in Sunderland (and Wigan, Bolton, Barnsley, Bradford, various other working class places up North) every single day of the year on BBC News
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • UTVLifer

(19-10-2022, 09:00 PM)JamieD Wrote:  Credit to Shaun for adapting what he says to make it more relevant to Americans (i.e. mentioning the upcoming mid-terms) in order to try and make it more relevant.

(19-10-2022, 08:58 PM)DTV Wrote:  Also really comes alive with politics stories, no doubt thanks to his years spent at Millbank.

Yes I thought that was impressive, his experience as a Political Correspondent allowing him to explain how our political system works very knowledgeably to the World/PBS audience
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AJB39

(19-10-2022, 09:05 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Absolutely ridiculous there has been zero World News all evening.

It’s not as though Nuala and Mariam (who’ve been covering) both OS and Context won’t have been at NBH.

A pathetic editorial decision that as many have said already just stinks of what’s to come when the merger happens. There is no balance at all at the moment.

Agreed it’s really like bbc news international at the moment rather then bbc world news, makes no sense why political chaos in the UK has to be so prominent on world news.

(19-10-2022, 09:05 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Absolutely ridiculous there has been zero World News all evening.

It’s not as though Nuala and Mariam (who’ve been covering) both OS and Context won’t have been at NBH.

You also need to be able to staff a second gallery to be able to split the services, having a presenter available isn't really the difficulty.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Newsroom

(19-10-2022, 08:10 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  
Indirectly related to the above - what's with the 'BBC London' graphic on this video that looks to have been clipped from the news channel? I don't believe it was on BBC London, I can hear Channel 4 News's Gary Gibbon in the background suggesting it was after 7pm!

twitter.com 

I came here to ask this too. Doing a live rewind it happened with proper BBC News channel graphics at 7:45 so not sure where this has come from?
Thread Closed