Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(24-10-2022, 01:27 PM)JayCasey Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 01:25 PM)ALV Wrote:  I re-watched yesterday's edition and I don't see any actual context nor precise comments on what's she's gleeful for, maybe she's just fascinated by the fluidity and pace of the news at that hour... This is based on my observation of her Twitter replies... 

The news was still breaking and the front pages haven't came in to the newsroom while The Papers was on the air, as newspapers scramble to change the top story.

That was initially my thought, but later she went on to openly say that she'd probably broken the BBC's impartiality guidelines, so it, by her own admission, dismisses the excitement of the fast-paced breaking news argument.
Wasn't it the case she laughed with one of the her guests quite sometime after she opened the programme. I took it as she was thoroughly over  excited about going to air with literally every front page being ripped up as she began The Papers. 

She's one of the best the BBC have on that failing channel and it would be a crying shame if she was reprimanded begin being ticked off for whatever, if any breach she may have made.

(24-10-2022, 01:53 PM)Josh Wrote:  twitter.com 
Yes, I think it was a reference to the fast-paced nature of the news. Would be a shame to see her go for something so minor.

Yes this is outrageous and shame on people who are criticising her, e.g the biased Dan Wootton and the biased Nadine Dorries.

Didn't Emily Maitlis get a suspension for her Dominic Cummings monologue? Even if Martine has broken impartiality rules/guidelines, this is much less serious. Hopefully she'll just get a slap on the wrist and/or a short suspension.
But did she openly say during the two editions of The Papers that she was glad to see the back of Boris Johnson? Obviously that's what the complaints will be implying.

BBC News cites the Press Association as a source that BBC News has taken Martine off air from BBC News:

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • ALV, bkman1990, Ma76, Pips2022

(24-10-2022, 02:46 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Didn't Emily Maitlis get a suspension for her Dominic Cummings monologue? Even if Martine has broken impartiality rules/guidelines, this is much less serious. Hopefully she'll just get a slap on the wrist and/or a short suspension.
But did she openly say during the two editions of The Papers that she was glad to see the back of Boris Johnson? Obviously that's what the complaints will be implying.

I can’t see them being able to bring her back on air anytime in the near future. Doubt there is the appetite within BBC News to not be seen as strict as possible on impartiality.

To me, it seemed clear Martine was simply referring to the excitement of the fast-paced news agenda; I didn't think it was a reference to Boris Johnson at all. It would be a shame for something so minor (at worst, perhaps slightly misworded) to escalate.
[-] The following 8 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, CF1, GMc, Ma76, Newsroom, Radio_man, Universal_r

In these replies on twitter (that the BBC story links to) Martine s clearly pointing out (in my view) that her comments about being "gleeful" and perhaps a bit excited were in relation to the fast pace of the news yesterday evening after 9pm

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

Yes, an extended version of the clip shows the full context.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • bkman1990, Meteor

(24-10-2022, 03:35 PM)Josh Wrote:  twitter.com 

Yes, an extended version of the clip shows the full context.
Exactly, but if you're a Tory MP looking for any reason to bash the BBC, you won't pass off this opportunity to turn that clip into something that it's not.
[-] The following 7 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AJB39, ALV, bkman1990, CF1, GMc, IanJRedman, Ma76

Martine is great, but IMO, ever since the merger was announced, she has become a little bit too open with her views and opinions and this is just another example of that. It's almost as if she's teasing the management. Who knows what was in her head when she laughed and made that comment, it could be interpreted in many ways. Anyway, I don't expect her to get a prominent place in the new, merged channel come 2023, which is a shame.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Pips2022
Thread Closed