Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(24-10-2022, 02:57 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  To me, it seemed clear Martine was simply referring to the excitement of the fast-paced news agenda; I didn't think it was a reference to Boris Johnson at all. It would be a shame for something so minor (at worst, perhaps slightly misworded) to escalate.

I agree. Without wanting to get into a debate about "cancel culture", it's quite notable that someone's reputation can be almost instantly brought crashing down these days within hours, irrespective of the broader picture - and that isn't always helped by a navel-gazing BBC. It would be a shame for Martine to resign / lose her job over this, but sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the outcome this week.

(24-10-2022, 04:16 PM)CF1 Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 02:57 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  To me, it seemed clear Martine was simply referring to the excitement of the fast-paced news agenda; I didn't think it was a reference to Boris Johnson at all. It would be a shame for something so minor (at worst, perhaps slightly misworded) to escalate.

I agree. Without wanting to get into a debate about "cancel culture", it's quite notable that someone's reputation can be almost instantly brought crashing down these days within hours, irrespective of the broader picture - and that isn't always helped by a navel-gazing BBC. It would be a shame for Martine to resign / lose her job over this, but sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the outcome this week.

I agree with you on this one and her well known views on the demise of the News Channel won't help her. She is the only presenter who goes out of her way to name check the channel right throughout her NC only shifts. 

If she is found to have breached the BBC's impartiality code then I also fear the worst and what a sad day it will be so let''s hope for the best.

Like you said - someone's reputation can come crashing down as fast as it rose. She was catapulted into a household name with the way she managed the death of Prince Phillip earlier this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1

Just sat watching BBC News and can’t help be reminded just how hideous the breaking news banner is and how much space is just wasted and just harsh on the eyes the red and white is.

Did I imagine it or was there talk of it all being changed when the new studio opened or sometimes around then?

It’s a pretty odd clip and I’m not sure why she acted like that, almost as if she was trying to push the boundaries to wind people up

And then on the other hand if it is a non story only perpetuated by right wingers and professional stirrers, why have BBC News Online done a story on it, made it prominent and allegedly suspended her?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • GMc

(24-10-2022, 06:10 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s a pretty odd clip and I’m not sure why she acted like that, almost as if she was trying to push the boundaries to wind people up

And then on the other hand if it is a non story only perpetuated by right wingers and professional stirrers, why have BBC News Online done a story on it, made it prominent and allegedly suspended her?
They’ve taken her off air pending an urgent investigation. She was scheduled to present this evening, she won’t be fulfilling that shift now.

I'd be very disappointed if she did leave, as she's by far the best presenter on the News Channel and has real potential to cover the Six and Ten one day. But she's been pushing it ever since the merger was announced.

(24-10-2022, 06:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 06:10 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s a pretty odd clip and I’m not sure why she acted like that, almost as if she was trying to push the boundaries to wind people up

They’ve taken her off air pending an urgent investigation. She was scheduled to present this evening, she won’t be fulfilling that shift now.

Well let's hope it's a quick investigation that clears because frankly the clip is a storm in a teacup caused by the merger-in fact even if she is cleared,i wouldn't be surprised if the "drop the merger or i'm off" ultimatum gets issued soon and not just with Martine.
[-] The following 4 users Like News76's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Meteor, Newsroom

(24-10-2022, 04:37 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 04:16 PM)CF1 Wrote:  I agree. Without wanting to get into a debate about "cancel culture", it's quite notable that someone's reputation can be almost instantly brought crashing down these days within hours, irrespective of the broader picture - and that isn't always helped by a navel-gazing BBC. It would be a shame for Martine to resign / lose her job over this, but sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the outcome this week.

I agree with you on this one and her well known views on the demise of the News Channel won't help her. She is the only presenter who goes out of her way to name check the channel right throughout her NC only shifts. 

If she is found to have breached the BBC's impartiality code then I also fear the worst and what a sad day it will be so let''s hope for the best.

Like you said - someone's reputation can come crashing down as fast as it rose. She was catapulted into a household name with the way she managed the death of Prince Phillip earlier this year.
Sadly, I think you’re right - but then you generally are! The GB News mob are calling for her head and Alastair Stewart (someone I do otherwise generally like) will be crowing on about how it wasn’t like that in his day. So opportunistic. So transparent.

(24-10-2022, 06:20 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Sadly, I think you’re right - but then you generally are! The GB News mob are calling for her head and Alastair Stewart (someone I do otherwise generally like) will be crowing on about how it wasn’t like that in his day. So opportunistic. So transparent.

Doesn't matter that the GB News lot would be acting like that on air, and many times worse, if it was a Labour government in this sort of turmoil.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, JLav25

(24-10-2022, 06:19 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I'd be very disappointed if she did leave, as she's by far the best presenter on the News Channel and has real potential to cover the Six and Ten one day. But she's been pushing it ever since the merger was announced.

I think Martine is great, a really warm, engaging and natural presenter. 

BUT - she has been pushing it, the pointed, knowing mentions of the News Channel; her comments on social media; and, what is quite an odd clip from last night (I agree it has been largely taken way out of context, but there is something odd about it and her reaction). 

Whatever your views on what’s planned, a job where hiding your views is v important but where you’ve not been hiding your views is not ideal.

Sometimes when things like this happen you need management to want to fight for you and I do fear pushing it so far may mean they won’t want to push their support too far either.
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom
Thread Closed