Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(03-11-2022, 08:34 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 05:22 PM)steve Wrote:  Martine back on air tomorrow though:

www.bbc.co.uk 

Thank goodness for that-And the complaints department we're clearly watching a different clip to the rest of us when upholding the complaint!

Those of us who are able to be a little bit more objective might not agree. Martine is a very personable presenter, but don’t let that blind you to the fact that she was recognised as crossing the line here.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • cando, chevron, steve

(03-11-2022, 10:55 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 08:34 PM)News76 Wrote:  Thank goodness for that-And the complaints department we're clearly watching a different clip to the rest of us when upholding the complaint!

Those of us who are able to be a little bit more objective might not agree. Martine is a very personable presenter, but don’t let that blind you to the fact that she was recognised as crossing the line here.

You forget that they upheld the complaint on one section of the clip rather than the whole thing in context.
[-] The following 3 users Like News76's post:
  • Jayesyn, Ma76, Newsroom

(03-11-2022, 11:01 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 10:55 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Those of us who are able to be a little bit more objective might not agree. Martine is a very personable presenter, but don’t let that blind you to the fact that she was recognised as crossing the line here.

You forget that they upheld the complaint on one section of the clip rather than the whole thing in context.

The context of course has to be taken into account, but having watched the whole programme back, it was clear that the editorial standards were breached.

That said, she was taken off air (the equivalent of suspended without pay) and will clearly have been versed in the standards going forward. I don't see it as a dismissal matter.
[-] The following 2 users Like JayCasey's post:
  • AJB39, Happy2001

(03-11-2022, 11:04 PM)JayCasey Wrote:  That said, she was taken off air (the equivalent of suspended without pay) and will clearly have been versed in the standards going forward.  I don't see it as a dismissal matter.

The idea that it would lead to any serious punishment was always overdone, especially with a plausible alternative interpretation in play. To be quite honest, even if the management want to ditch her, they have an opportunity coming up that affords them far less publicity.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • JayCasey, News76

(03-11-2022, 11:23 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 11:04 PM)JayCasey Wrote:  That said, she was taken off air (the equivalent of suspended without pay) and will clearly have been versed in the standards going forward.  I don't see it as a dismissal matter.

The idea that it would lead to any serious punishment was always overdone, especially with a plausible alternative interpretation in play. To be quite honest, even if the management want to ditch her, they have an opportunity coming up that affords them far less publicity.

Quite.  It does however, create a learning tool for BBC News, on how to conduct yourself whilst on air during sensitive breaking news events.  So lessons have been learned, and I think that is a plus.

I think the lesson learned is not to give those who are looking for any excuse to bash the BBC an open goal.

Easier to uphold the complaint - which in reality means very little - than to prolong the matter by trying to explain the concept that a short clip taken out of context might have a more nuanced meaning than the one that neatly fits your agenda.

I'm glad that the BBC article puts the context in clearly, that the "gleeful" comment is surrounded by other comments about it being a busy time and the front pages are getting hastily rewritten.

"Politician makes decision not to stand for election" is not really a matter of controversy. If he had lost in an election then saying something that could be construed as a personal opinion of happiness that he lost would be much more problematic. If you interpret the "gleeful" comment the way complainants apparently did, you could spin that as endorsing his decision rather than the claims of bias that fits a narrative.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Frances, Ma76

(03-11-2022, 05:22 PM)steve Wrote:  Martine back on air tomorrow though:

www.bbc.co.uk 

She’s coming up next, 11am-1pm
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, News76, Newsroom

The whole thing is absurd. It was clearly not a balance issue, just the latest dog whistle being used to construct a narrative.

Anyway, I fear I'm veering into an alternative discussion so I'll just say it's good to have Martine back. First class presenter.
[-] The following 16 users Like Matrix's post:
  • AJB39, ALV, bkman1990, Frances, JamesWorldNews, Jayesyn, Kojak, Ma76, News76, Newsroom, Rexogamer, Rolling News, SeanS1971, SlimyTrain, Universal_r, UTVLifer

(01-11-2022, 12:45 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  
(31-10-2022, 11:51 PM)simon Wrote:  It's been happening for a few weeks already, hasn't it? So can't be chalked down to clock change chaos.

It's been happening for a few weeks. I presume it's so they don't have to go to the trouble of opening Studio E for half an hour.

Rather interestingly Studio E appears to be being used for 8:30-9:00 tonight rather than the balcony.

(07-11-2022, 09:34 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(01-11-2022, 12:45 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  It's been happening for a few weeks. I presume it's so they don't have to go to the trouble of opening Studio E for half an hour.

Rather interestingly Studio E appears to be being used for 8:30-9:00 tonight rather than the balcony.

Outside Source was in Studio C.

There really is no consistency whatsoever on this channel anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • News76
Thread Closed