Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(13-11-2022, 02:04 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  
(13-11-2022, 11:46 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  I really am struggling to see the justification for simulcasting Sunday with Laura K on the News Channel. Anyone who wants to watch it will head straight to BBC 1. No money is being saved because the NC and World News are already simulcasting on Sunday mornings anyway, so give viewers a choice - political discussion on BBC 1, or umm, actual News over on the NEWS Channel.
And this morning because Sunday with Laura K was extended by 15 mins, we had an awkward opt into the World News simulcast at 10:15am.

I agree; there's no real justification for a simulcast.  All this is doing is continuing the erosion of the News Channel.
It would probably make sense if the NC took a version of it with sign language. I take it they don't do that currently?

(13-11-2022, 02:59 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(13-11-2022, 02:04 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  I agree; there's no real justification for a simulcast.  All this is doing is continuing the erosion of the News Channel.
It would probably make sense if the NC took a version of it with sign language. I take it they don't do that currently?

No, it's just a straightforward simulcast of exactly what's going out on BBC 1. It serves no purpose whatsoever.
[-] The following 3 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • Kojak, News76, UTVLifer

(13-11-2022, 04:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(13-11-2022, 02:59 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It would probably make sense if the NC took a version of it with sign language. I take it they don't do that currently?

No, it's just a straightforward simulcast of exactly what's going out on BBC 1. It serves no purpose whatsoever.
If you wanted to be uncharitable you could say that the simulcast helps (to a degree) the ratings picture. I wouldn’t say that, of course… 

I suspect though, beyond what has already been announced in terms of scheduling for the new collapsed WN/NC, that more ‘shared output’ will become the order of the day, sadly.

(13-11-2022, 04:39 PM)Matrix Wrote:  I suspect though, beyond what has already been announced in terms of scheduling for the new collapsed WN/NC, that more ‘shared output’ will become the order of the day, sadly.
By the News Channel doing a simulcast of LC it means that they can claim the channel has an extra hour of UK specific content, compared to if they showed the World News.

A statistic which will become even more useful when the two channels merge, as it'll then technically be a UK opt-out for the channel. The fact that most of these UK opt-outs will probably be content that is already shown on BBC One/Two (or 5Live) will be irrelevant.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Matrix

(13-11-2022, 04:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(13-11-2022, 02:59 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It would probably make sense if the NC took a version of it with sign language. I take it they don't do that currently?

Agreed-absolutely no need for it to go out on the NC at all.

(14-11-2022, 08:16 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(13-11-2022, 04:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  No, it's just a straightforward simulcast of exactly what's going out on BBC 1. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Agreed-absolutely no need for it to go out on the NC at all.

Could you not say the same for the network bulletins?
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • lepeterrr

(14-11-2022, 08:57 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(14-11-2022, 08:16 PM)News76 Wrote:  Agreed-absolutely no need for it to go out on the NC at all.

Could you not say the same for the network bulletins?

It has often been said, since the news channel started simulcasting network bulletins, that there is more value in simulcasting World and providing an alternative but that doesn't seem to be the route they wish to take.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406

(14-11-2022, 09:42 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(14-11-2022, 08:57 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Could you not say the same for the network bulletins?

It has often been said, since the news channel started simulcasting network bulletins, that there is more value in simulcasting World and providing an alternative but that doesn't seem to be the route they wish to take.

More like duplication taking World Bulletins over Network bulletins-watch them force World News America on us during the world cup just because the ten is starting late some evenings.

A rare presenting appearance for Tina Daheley on the 10 O'Clock News tonight.

(14-11-2022, 11:03 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  A rare presenting appearance for Tina Daheley on the 10 O'Clock News tonight.

After doing the usual Radio 2 shift this morning. 

The BBC certainly have a good number of news presenters mixing radio with TV now.
Thread Closed