Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Interestingly we seem to have gone quiet on the Nicky Campbell idea since that article!

(18-11-2022, 12:52 AM)News76 Wrote:  Interestingly we seem to have gone quiet on the Nicky Campbell idea since that article!

We haven't really heard anything on the merger in a while, but I doubt that the Campbell idea has been dropped - flawed as it is. I expect you'll get some movement as a result of negotiations etc, but I would not expect to find it here given its role in filling up two hours of schedule a day with 'UK only' output. Plus, even if they do drop Campbell, it would simply be for more UK-World joint hours. (Though, as an aside, the mid-morning slot would actually be one of the best places to put joint hours as it is not breakfast or evening peak in any of World's main markets).
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • Independent, UTVLifer

(18-11-2022, 04:02 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(18-11-2022, 12:52 AM)News76 Wrote:  Interestingly we seem to have gone quiet on the Nicky Campbell idea since that article!

We haven't really heard anything on the merger in a while, but I doubt that the Campbell idea has been dropped - flawed as it is. I expect you'll get some movement as a result of negotiations etc, but I would not expect to find it here given its role in filling up two hours of schedule a day with 'UK only' output. Plus, even if they do drop Campbell, it would simply be for more UK-World joint hours. (Though, as an aside, the mid-morning slot would actually be one of the best places to put joint hours as it is not breakfast or evening peak in any of World's main markets).

I remember it was said that the 9 am UKT hour was the least watched hour on World. Which was why the first 15 minutes was a UK-World simulcast when Victoria Derbyshire's show began. Then the NC left at 9:15 for her show while World continued with the rest of the bulletin. It was UK-centric for the first half and the world for the second.
When Victoria's show started earlier at 9:00 and the simulcast ended, BBC World News just had a two minute bulletin followed by repeats of two weekend shows (e.g. "Click" at 9:02 and "Our World" at 9:30) instead of a full 30-minute bulletin because the viewership was that low.
Sticking a camera in a radio studio is a terrible idea because it looks cheap. I think they could get away with a more UK-centric hour if they tilted world stories more towards European and African ones and make it look like an international morning bulletin for Europe and Africa.

Sounds like a bad idea which serves neither audience, as is this proposed merger.

(19-11-2022, 12:34 PM)harshy Wrote:  Sounds like a bad idea which serves neither audience, as is this proposed merger.

A very bad idea which needs junking asap.
[-] The following 2 users Like News76's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

(19-11-2022, 07:56 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 12:34 PM)harshy Wrote:  Sounds like a bad idea which serves neither audience, as is this proposed merger.
A very bad idea which needs junking asap.

The problem, though, is that this assumes the driving force behind the merger is based on the merit of the idea rather than the need to make significant cuts to BBC News.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990, chris, Former Member 406, Happy2001, Jeff, thePineapple, TVFan

(19-11-2022, 09:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 07:56 PM)News76 Wrote:  A very bad idea which needs junking asap.

The problem, though, is that this assumes the driving force behind the merger is based on the merit of the idea rather than the need to make significant cuts to BBC News.

I’m glad someone else gets it.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Former Member 406, thePineapple

(19-11-2022, 10:02 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 09:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  The problem, though, is that this assumes the driving force behind the merger is based on the merit of the idea rather than the need to make significant cuts to BBC News.

I’m glad someone else gets it.

Well, quite. Is merging the two news channels a good idea? Almost certainly not. Is it necessary? With the amount of cutbacks, yes. £285 million is the amount of money that the BBC has to find over the next few years in order to keep afloat. How can they do that? By cut, cut, cutting services. It is a harsh reality.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Former Member 406, Independent, thePineapple

(19-11-2022, 09:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 07:56 PM)News76 Wrote:  A very bad idea which needs junking asap.

Which shouldn't need to be made at all full stop.

(19-11-2022, 10:14 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 10:02 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m glad someone else gets it.

Well, quite. Is merging the two news channels a good idea? Almost certainly not. Is it necessary? With the amount of cutbacks, yes. £285 million is the amount of money that the BBC has to find over the next few years in order to keep afloat. How can they do that? By cut, cut, cutting services. It is a harsh reality.

Not when you've basically already cut to the bone you don't and harsh reailty's are not what's needed here.
[-] The following 3 users Like News76's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom, Scratch_Perry

(19-11-2022, 11:44 PM)News76 Wrote:  Which shouldn't need to be made at all full stop.

Not when you've basically already cut to the bone you don't and harsh reailty's are not what's needed here.

The unavoidable financial reality is that cuts do need to be made and that these have to be made by every department and channel. While BBC News as a department has undoubtedly suffered severe cuts, most of these have not been directly related to the News channel itself. Further behind the scenes cuts to BBC News would likely have a seriously detrimental effect on newsgathering and production, so they only real solution is in cutting whole sections of output. In budgetary terms, the BBC News channel has not been cut to the bone and has arguably done better than most other channels.

Real terms content budget cut 2007-2022
BBC One: -28%
BBC Two: -49%
BBC Four: -70%
BBC News channel: -9%
BBC Radio 1: -20%
BBC Radio 2: -16%
BBC Radio 3: -30%
BBC Radio 4: -28%
BBC Radio 5 Live: -39%
BBC Local Radio: -23%

The cuts and their effects aren't pleasant or ideal, but they are happening and there is nothing the BBC can do.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • CF1, Former Member 406, Hadrien, Happy2001, Jeff, TVFan
Thread Closed