Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(19-11-2022, 11:44 PM)News76 Wrote:  Not when you've basically already cut to the bone you don't and harsh reailty's are not what's needed here.

Oh please. The BBC is extremely well resourced. Its commercial rivals operate in a much tighter way.

(20-11-2022, 12:34 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 11:44 PM)News76 Wrote:  Which shouldn't need to be made at all full stop.

Not when you've basically already cut to the bone you don't and harsh reailty's are not what's needed here.

The unavoidable financial reality is that cuts do need to be made and that these have to be made by every department and channel. While BBC News as a department has undoubtedly suffered severe cuts, most of these have not been directly related to the News channel itself. Further behind the scenes cuts to BBC News would likely have a seriously detrimental effect on newsgathering and production, so they only real solution is in cutting whole sections of output. In budgetary terms, the BBC News channel has not been cut to the bone and has arguably done better than most other channels.

Real terms content budget cut 2007-2022
BBC One: -28%
BBC Two: -49%
BBC Four: -70%
BBC News channel: -9%
BBC Radio 1: -20%
BBC Radio 2: -16%
BBC Radio 3: -30%
BBC Radio 4: -28%
BBC Radio 5 Live: -39%
BBC Local Radio: -23%

The cuts and their effects aren't pleasant or ideal, but they are happening and there is nothing the BBC can do.
That's becuase us viewers won;t fight for what they want! 

And i disagree-as far as i'm concerned the news channel is at the point where you cannot cut anymore-i'm not budging from this.

(20-11-2022, 08:54 AM)all new phil Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 11:44 PM)News76 Wrote:  Not when you've basically already cut to the bone you don't and harsh reailty's are not what's needed here.

Oh please. The BBC is extremely well resourced. Its commercial rivals operate in a much tighter way.

Then you're missing my point entirely which is fine just don't expect me to budge from the opinion that this merger is a VERY BAD idea-you can't operate a news channel on 5 presenters-you just can't do it.
[-] The following 3 users Like News76's post:
  • bkman1990, Independent, Scratch_Perry

(20-11-2022, 10:43 AM)News76 Wrote:  That's becuase us viewers won;t fight for what they want! 

And i disagree-as far as i'm concerned the news channel is at the point where you cannot cut anymore-i'm not budging from this.

You are right that the News channel can't really be cut any more, which is probably why it is being axed and replaced by a new cheaper channel. My point was that the BBC News channel has suffered proportionately smaller cuts than every other major BBC TV or Radio service. Why should it be exempted? Its reach is no greater than BBC Four (whose content budget has been cut by over two-thirds) and it isn't exactly 'unique' within the BBC in terms of the service it provides.

(20-11-2022, 10:43 AM)News76 Wrote:  Then you're missing my point entirely which is fine just don't expect me to budge from the opinion that this merger is a VERY BAD idea-you can't operate a news channel on 5 presenters-you just can't do it.

The new channel isn't being operated by five presenters, it'll have thirteen London-based presenters - five of which will solely be presenters and eight of which will be reporter-presenters (presumably as per Ros Atkins and Yalda Hakim at present). There will also be additional presenters in Washington and Singapore.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

The close of the News at Ten wasn't as slick tonight. As Huw was starting his walk across to the catwalk, the Monolith screen in the back corner flickered and changed to BBC London whilst it was still in vision. Then, when the Nations and Regions appeared, BBC London had no presenter in position. Not sure whether BBC London itself picked up smoothly from this?

Update/Correction - Sorry, just checked again and the London presenter did actually walk into position, and again, this was caught in shot. BBC London started normally.

I’m guessing it was all more rushed than normal as due to the Ten being later than normal, Huw didn’t mention his “colleague Victoria standing by” - there was a matter of seconds between the camera panning away from the desk and the videowall appearing

I'm surprised to see they are still showing Huw do the awkward walk from the desk to the catwalk - is this still regular at the end of the Ten?  I had assumed that had stopped by now, because, as demonstrated, it gives virtually no time for the London presenter to get into position unseen before the gallery of regions appears on the screen.

Whenever I see the end of the Six O'Clock News, the national presenter has already moved across to the catwalk screen during the weather, which seems a slicker way of doing things, and gives the London presenter ample time to take up their position at the desk.  I'm not sure why they don't just do that at the end of the Ten as well?
[-] The following 2 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406

(23-11-2022, 08:50 AM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m guessing it was all more rushed than normal as due to the Ten being later than normal, Huw didn’t mention his “colleague Victoria standing by” - there was a matter of seconds between the camera panning away from the desk and the videowall appearing
Normally they would first show Newsnight preparing to start (or having just started), which gives time for the screen (Tower B) to change and the London presenter to take up position before the regional mosaic appears.

They didn't have that option as Newsnight were 10 minutes into their programme at that point.

Out of interest, we're there any big screw-ups in the three months that the News at Ten and Newsnight shared TC7 in early 2008? I know that was when they stopped doing the national summary after the regionals, but it's still a tight turnaround from 22:25 to 22:30. I know that they were less likely to extend the bulletins in those days, but there must surely have been once or twice when they cut it fine coming off the Ten and into Newsnight.

(23-11-2022, 09:30 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  I'm surprised to see they are still showing Huw do the awkward walk from the desk to the catwalk - is this still regular at the end of the Ten?  I had assumed that had stopped by now, because, as demonstrated, it gives virtually no time for the London presenter to get into position unseen before the gallery of regions appears on the screen.

Whenever I see the end of the Six O'Clock News, the national presenter has already moved across to the catwalk screen during the weather, which seems a slicker way of doing things, and gives the London presenter ample time to take up their position at the desk.  I'm not sure why they don't just do that at the end of the Ten as well?

The walk over to the screen at the end of the Ten must be something that Huw himself wants to keep doing, as no other presenter does it now. If I was the London presenter I'd want more than a couple of seconds to get into position and be ready, but then I'm not a professional newsreader

Why did they move BBC London News out of Studio D? BBC following ITV News footsteps in having the London regional news in the main BBC network news studio. Surely having their own dedicated studio for London would not be too costly?
Thread Closed