Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(09-12-2022, 07:49 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  That would seem to add cost rather than remove it. Given they manage at the moment and it will presumably be a single UK feed I can't see a reason to change the way it currently works.

I suppose that the issue is that until now the BBC News channel's gallery has functioned jointly as the studio's production gallery and the channel's network control. But I think there is the possibility to continue with the current set-up even if the new channel does move to Studio E: there have been numerous occasions when the News channel has taken differing output to what is coming from Studio E - particularly breaking news/WNA instead of a network bulletin - so the ability to opt out of any World programming in Studio E should still be possible.

Is it normal to pronounce the year 2008 as "twenty 08" may I ask? Had to do a double take just now when Reeta said like that on the Na10.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

It's valid, like how we say this year is twenty twenty two. But yeah, didn't most of us call it two thousand eight?

Michael Crick, formerly of Newsnight, always insisted on referring to the year as ‘twenty-oh…’ for as long as I can remember. Well, probably since just after the turn of the century. At least I don’t recall him referring to ‘twenty hundred’.

(09-12-2022, 11:25 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  It's valid, like how we say this year is twenty twenty two. But yeah, didn't most of us call it two thousand eight?

I'd say two thousand and eight, but there has certainly been a shift in recent years to more and more people retrospectively saying twenty oh eight. I guess it's partially down to keeping consistency with twenty twenty two, etc. Plus, in hindsight, it definitely makes more sense - people say eighteen oh eight, nineteen oh eight, etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Stuart

(09-12-2022, 11:25 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  But yeah, didn't most of us call it two thousand eight?

That's more an American convention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DeMarkay

In the next sentence she then said “two thousand and eight” anyway.

I find it interesting that people seem perfectly happy to talk about 'the twenty-twelve Olympics' and 'the twenty-twenty U.S. election' but find 'twenty-oh-eight' to be a dissatisfying construction. I'm in the (presumably relatively small camp) of using 'two-thousand-and-X' across the board, whether it's referring to a year in the 'noughties', tens, or twenties. I suppose, thinking about it, it's peculiar that I'd say 'two-thousand-and-twelve', but I'd never refer to the Titanic having sunk in 'one-thousand-nine-hundred-and-twelve' or 'nineteen-hundred-and-twelve', but always as simply 'nineteen-twelve'. Ultimately, I suppose, it doesn't matter providing the other party understands what you mean. The English language is littered with oddities and irregularities, as, I'm sure anyone who does not have English as their first language on this forum would be only too happy to attest, having tried to learn it.

Yesterday evening one region didn't get the memo about the Ten being on late, so had already switched off their main screen and gone home by 22:45.  Tongue 
(First column, middle row)

[Image: Late-To-Party-09-12-22.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Jayesyn

(10-12-2022, 01:10 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Yesterday evening one region didn't get the memo about the Ten being on late, so had already switched off their main screen and gone home by 22:45.  Tongue 
(First column, middle row)

[Image: Late-To-Party-09-12-22.jpg]

That looks like Look East's Cambridge studio. Make the most of seeing it on screen, it'll be gone next weekend.
[-] The following 6 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, Rexogamer, Superman1986, UTVLifer, watchingtv
Thread Closed