BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

Is there a reason all recorded content is in SD?

well, its come a long way from being audio only and 1/4 screen video!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • Jimbo2022

Do they still have the DVD Player in the gallery?  Big Grin

(16-03-2023, 08:22 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Is there a reason all recorded content is in SD?

Presumably it's a limitation of the playout system?

Incidentally, BBC Parliament still aren't using the new logo on-screen, are they? Definitely the oddball of the BBC family Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Jimbo2022, Ma76

(18-03-2023, 01:58 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Definitely the oddball of the BBC family Big Grin
BBC Parliament are always going to be the poor relation that you felt you "had to invite to a family party", then when they unexpectedly turn up needed to be seated in the kitchen because you didn't lay a place for them at the table with everyone else.  Cry
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, IanJRedman, interestednovice, Ma76, thomash79

(16-03-2023, 08:22 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Is there a reason all recorded content is in SD?

Much cheaper to stick the existing SD playout system through an upscaler vs replacing it, They probably compared viewing figures for recorded content and decided that was best.

I imagine it’s just the case that the BBC haven’t yet got around to upgrading the playout system, but have launched the channel in HD anyway to provide an outlet for the live coverage which is already available in HD. Especially since they’ve already made the necessary technical changes on satellite to accommodate the channel, as part of BBC One HD upgrade work.

Rather like the English regional studios HD upgrades, they probably will already be planning to make the channel fully HD - it’s just a question of extra work they haven’t yet done. I would be surprised if we don’t see a playout upgrade within a year or so.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Ma76

I did notice bbc one north east and Cumbria hd on 27.5w why Is that there? I imagine the red screen on death still appears on 27.5w?

(20-03-2023, 10:45 AM)harshy Wrote:  I did notice bbc one north east and Cumbria hd on 27.5w why Is that there? I imagine the red screen on death still appears on 27.5w?
'BBC One NE HD' has been there on 10773H for a few weeks (but at 28.2W). The transfer of all English regional satellite broadcasts of BBC One HD variants was completed earlier this month.

The revised RSOD is now only available on DSat on the single BBC One 'nightlight' SD service at 10803H, which points people to the HD service on LCN 101/1 during regional broadcasts.

Fully regionalised DTT HD services are following during March and April.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(20-03-2023, 10:45 AM)harshy Wrote:  I did notice bbc one north east and Cumbria hd on 27.5w why Is that there? I imagine the red screen on death still appears on 27.5w?
That's Arqiva's backup distribution for DTT - it's not a 'DSAT' service. It's been carrying the NE version of SD since Bilsdale had its fire to provide a feed to some relays

Presumably the HD version of BBC One will also carry the NE version once the HD regions rolls out on terrestrial in the coming weeks.

Once Bilsdale is back to full effect I'd have thought it will go back to being a generic non regional BBC1, with either the News Channel or London in the opt out times
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, London Lite, Ma76