Disney+

(21-05-2023, 10:39 AM)James2001 Wrote:  I don't think pointing out the downsides of streaming and the upsides of physical media means people are "anti streaming".

Indeed. Hypothetically if there was a global internet outage, then those without any form of physical media would be screwed.

(21-05-2023, 10:39 AM)James2001 Wrote:  I don't think pointing out the downsides of streaming and the upsides of physical media means people are "anti streaming".

Indeed, and I'd also suggest that this forum is made up of people who 'care' about their TV/film content and presentation more than the average viewer.  We'd be the people who'd notice the rights edits made on DVD/streaming versions of shows, for example, and the people who might be more likely to want to go back to watch a specific thing at a specific time.

I've said in the past on the blue place that streaming is a great thing, but it's conflated the 'new content', 'catch-up content', and 'content for keeps' idioms and whilst it's great for the first two things, it's pretty rubbish at the third (but people don't necessarily realise that - and, perhaps, lots of people don't care as much as 'we' do).

There's no way to ensure you have perpetual access to any content apart from owning a disc of it (and the relevant player) or having a DRM-free file of it.  The BBC Shop fiasco showed us just how useless buying DRM'd files are - all it takes is the licensing to be switched off and you've lost all of your content.

That's why I still buy things on DVD if I really want to keep them (I've got my box sets of W1A, Thick of It, West Wing, etc) or hang onto my own mp4 recordings of things broadcast on linear TV (I consider it the equivalent of taping things on VHS and keeping them for years - I know not strictly legal, but it's not pirated and it's for my own use/enjoyment, captured from a live showing)  It's the only way, unfortunately.

And, I do think that now that new content has been commissioned and shown only by streamers, with the inherent rights management within the platform, that loophole of 'you can tape it off the telly and just hang onto that for as long as you want' has closed for streaming originals.  It was never intended for this to be a 'feature' of home recording, but it could never be enforced. Now it can be, as the streamers can just take the content down to stop having to pay their 'repeat fees'-style payments to artists.

FWIW, I did some filming/recording as a musician for a Netflix Original just last month (not yet released), and was 'bought out' for all my rights, so that I receive a very good one-off payment for my work, but have signed a document to say that the production company now have the rights to the recording in perpetuity. And, for me, for the context of this very small recording, that works. But it's different for different situations, and I understand why everybody can't just be 'bought out' to allow these shows to remain 'up' in perpetuity.
[-] The following 3 users Like madmusician's post:
  • James2001, Kojak, Ma76

(21-05-2023, 09:29 PM)XIII Wrote:  This idea that Linear and physical media is going to taken away is silly, we're still at least a decade or so away before one of those becomes a reality and TBH it's no different to when the analogue signal was switched off.

Linear channels have been in steep decline for a decade now, both in terms of number of them and total viewership.

It's not realistic that they'll entirely disappear but it's entirely possible we could see numbers whittled down to a handful of PSBs, a handful of commercial channels and a dozen or so premium/sport outlets.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • XIII

Although that decline has been overstated and is more gradual than steep, though undoubtedly higher in channels aimed at children and younger audiences.

The full ratings figures though released by OFCOM show that as far as linear channels are concerned 90% of viewing of the top programnes is still either live or of people's own recordings. Indeed Disney may have been a bit hasty in cutting their linear channels so quickly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(23-05-2023, 11:08 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Although that decline has been overstated and is more gradual than steep, though undoubtedly higher in channels aimed at children and younger audiences.

The full ratings figures though released by OFCOM show that as far as linear channels are concerned 90% of viewing of the top programnes is still either live or of people's own recordings. Indeed Disney may have been a bit hasty in cutting their linear channels so quickly.

Do they value viewership over revenue?

(23-05-2023, 12:03 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 11:08 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Although that decline has been overstated and is more gradual than steep, though undoubtedly higher in channels aimed at children and younger audiences.

Do they value viewership over revenue?
I imagine if they'd continued having the linear channels it might have reduced the initial uptake of Disney+.

For channels in general I expect over the next few years +1 channels will disappear, in favour of pointing viewers to the corresponding catchup service. Similarly I'm slightly surprised catch channels such as 4Seven continue to survive, and to some extent 5Select (though that's no longer named 'My5').

I think linear channels still have their place, though are less important for catching up on programmes shown earlier in the day/week on the same or sister channel.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • bilky asko

5Select is more of a documentary channel than an extra channel these days, but it needs a better name, IMO.

I think that as long as they make extra revenue, 4Seven and E4 Extra which now kind of works similarly, are here to stay

That's the crux of things really - they'll survive as long as they make money as long as the alternatives aren't predicted to make more money.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, Kunst, Ma76

I doubt there is any regret on the part of Disney about the decision to drop the Disney Channels. It'd be different if it received any great audience share but it wasn't strong, even compared with similar premium kids channels.

In a world where Disney+ existed they served only to water down the message that their platform is the destination for Disney content.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Rex

(27-05-2023, 12:53 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I doubt there is any regret on the part of Disney about the decision to drop the Disney Channels. It'd be different if it received any great audience share but it wasn't strong, even compared with similar premium kids channels.

In a world where Disney+ existed they served only to water down the message that their platform is the destination for Disney content.
It’s telling that the German Disney Channel, which is free-to-air, has stayed on the air whilst other countries’ channels have closed.