Talk TV

(23-09-2022, 10:42 AM)Omnipresent Wrote:  New schedule confirmed for the autumn with a new show for Jeremy Kyle and Tom Newton Dunn moving to 10pm:

Quote:4pm to 7pm - Vanessa Feltz
7pm to 8pm - Jeremy Kyle Live
8pm to 9pm - Piers Morgan Uncensored
9pm to 10pm - The Talk
10pm - 11pm - First Edition with Tom Newton Dunn

I guess I can see the logic in having Jeremy Kyle at 7pm - they're clearly hoping to build an audience into Piers. Whether it will work or if those 2 shows will be too similar is yet to be seen... (will JK be from the News building? If they were separated in the schedule you could easily do both from Piers's current studio).

But I have no idea why they're retaining The Talk. It'll hand a very small audience into Tom Newton Dunn, which is the 1 show I regularly watch on the station... can it find a bigger audience at 10pm?

Plus - lets be honest, they've stuck with the original evening schedule longer than anyone expected.

I don't know why they see Kyle as a good lead in, didn't he have shocking numbers during his time as Piers cover?

So First Edition is going to be basically a rebranded News Desk presumbly with the bottom half becoming a newspaper review?

So TND’s news desk is being put in a skip. First Edition will be a glorified paper review presumably. Fair play to them to sticking with their schedule for 6 months or so, but it’s been a unmitigated ratings disaster from day 1 (or 2) essentially

Weird that they’re doubling down on a strategy that has essentially been a failure.

I'm not entirely surprised they're replacing news with opinion at 7pm, but it's still a shame. I've always found The News Desk very watchable and Tom Newton Dunn a decent presenter with plenty of gravitas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mark's post:
  • all new phil

The issue for Talk TV is they have two presenters presumably on decent contracts which stops them from doing anything radical with the schedule, which is why Piers Morgan Uncensored and The Talk are still on the schedule despite being failures.

So all they've been able to do is introduce a 7pm opinion slot and move their impartial news programme to 10pm.

With The Talk not taking to 9pm, I wonder why they didn’t try it at 7pm with Kyle taking 9pm - or would that seem like he’s the star over Piers?

Obviously this isn’t a GB News style relaunch, but it hardly seems like last roll of the dice for them either?

The Talk is essentially a copy of Fox News' "The Five". That airs at 5pm East Coast time and is very successful. I can only consider that News UK are trying this angle in the UK.

The Talk is The Five, but the UK audience is different. I'd put it at 8pm rather than later.

The downside is, Talk TV is born out of TalkRadio, which Fox News never had prior to it's launch, so Ofcom regulations for radio AND television come into play.

I can see what Talk TV are trying, they are attempting a Fox News/Sky News Australia format, within the strict UK media regulatory system.

(23-09-2022, 10:08 PM)JayCasey Wrote:  The Talk is essentially a copy of Fox News' "The Five". That airs at 5pm East Coast time and is very successful. I can only consider that News UK are trying this angle in the UK.

The Pledge was also another copy of The Five on Sky News. Not surprisingly, it went when Comcast took over.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • JayCasey

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread