BBC Birmingham Moving to New Purpose-Built Broadcast Centre

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clean Feed's post:
  • Rijowhi

(03-08-2022, 11:20 AM)Clean Feed Wrote:  

Wrong logo. The Reith BBC blocks logo is correct, but the "Birmingham" in the building is written in a wrong font, as opposed to the all-capitalised form of "BIRMINGHAM" in Reith Sans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Asxer544's post:
  • sparky_75

Will this be a bigger facility than the Mailbox?

The BBC has been underserving the midlands since it abandoned Pebble Mill.

(03-08-2022, 11:50 AM)Asxer544 Wrote:  
(03-08-2022, 11:20 AM)Clean Feed Wrote:  

Wrong logo. The Reith BBC blocks logo is correct, but the "Birmingham" in the building is written in a wrong font, as opposed to the all-capitalised form of "BIRMINGHAM" in Reith Sans.

I think we can all understand the difference between an initial artist’s impression and what the reality will be. Nobody knows if the current branding guidelines will be in place when it opens. 

Can’t say I’m familiar with the area but I’ve looked it up and this looks to be a good move.
[-] The following 9 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Asxer544, bkman1990, Jon, Lester, MFTJA, Rijowhi, SlimyTrain, The_IT_Technician, TVFan

To me it seems like a good move. The Mailbox seemed like a good idea, but shopping malls *sorry* “leisure spaces” never seem to work well for broadcasters.

Was the move to The Mailbox necessary? Could Pebble Mill have lasted another while?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFTJA's post:
  • SlimyTrain

Quote:Digbeth Loc Studios, the future home of the BBC’s flagship food entertainment strand MasterChef, will be adjacent to the BBC’s new home.
It sounds like they’re trying to create a mini media city in the area.

(03-08-2022, 11:57 AM)Lester Wrote:  Will this be a bigger facility than the Mailbox?
The BBC are described as the ‘anchor tenant’ which suggests they won’t be using the whole building. I’d also imagine that they’ll be a lot more geared up for remote working by then. In terms of TV studios I can’t imagine there being more than a News studio, but there will be as part of the bigger project. In the same way the BBC don’t have proper studios of their own at Salford Quays.

(03-08-2022, 11:57 AM)Lester Wrote:  Will this be a bigger facility than the Mailbox?

It will have to be bigger because they are moving stuff from London to Birmingham

(03-08-2022, 04:54 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  

It will have to be bigger because they are moving stuff from London to Birmingham
From what the press release says the stuff will move before BBC Birmingham does. So there must be room. At one stage a lot of stuff moved out of Birmingham, they used to produce things like Countryfile and Points of View and had some Radio 2 and 5 Live off peak programmes coming from there. A lot of that moved out so I was under the impression the Mailbox has a lot of empty space. I know they’ve moved a few departments in there since but not sure it’s ever been to the scale of what’s been taken out. And of course as technology moves on, less people will need to be in the buildings. 

If I was to guess, I imagine their new space will be at best the same size as it is now. I think the press release states they’re taking the top the floor.

But the important thing is the space to make programmes will be part of the wider project.

So Midlands Today will finally go HD in four years as there's no point upgrading the Mailbox gallery for only a few years use.

That building will look stunning when completed, and the planned new tram route will run down the side of the block where this building is located which will connect the new HS2 station and Birmingham’s New Street Station.