BBC to sell Elstree Centre

An article in The Telegraph says the BBC is intending to sell Elstree, then lease back the space in order to save costs and reduce its carbon footprint.

Elstree is currently the home of EastEnders new set.

www.telegraph.co.uk 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew Wood's post:
  • Clean Feed

Now, who could've predicted that was going happen when Holby City was axed?
[-] The following 1 user Likes denton's post:
  • Clean Feed

Strictly comes from Elstree Studios rather than BBC Elstree.

Sounds like a sensible decision. A lot of the buildings on site are very old and will probably need a fair amount of refurbishment soon enough.

Does anyone know how often that main studio (is it studio D?) actually gets used? I feel like I don’t see it listed on audience tickets or in credits anywhere near as much as others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • Andrew Wood

Not sure how much credence I'd give those statements about a long-term agreement for the use of a portion of the site for EastEnders. It's pretty obvious they're trying to kill off EastEnders by stealth. The costs associated with the new EastEnders set would be a PR obstacle for any cancellation announcement at present. Recouping the expense of the new EastEnders set through a sale of the site is an entirely predictable move. Watch this space.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • denton, Parsons

If we see EE get iPlayer weekly box sets on a permanent basis, it may be a credible way forward to winding down EastEnders in the next decade, but personally despite the low linear ratings, I think it still has life in it.

As the NAO recommend that the BBC hold very little freehold
and lease more seems a good plan
(not withstanding the increase in borrowing requirement
because if the way leases are recognised under current accounting standards)
And it will free up cash which the BBC needs under the no increase in LF
And can reduce its total estate ….
Studioworks are still promoting studios D&E quite hard …..
(And they could lease directly as another financial vehicle)

And it seems more measured ….remember the plan to move EE to Pinewood ?
At least that took it (just) outside the M25…..

And those with long memories remember that BBC television bought Elstree …
Not the BBC …. And the rows that caused ….

(07-08-2022, 09:51 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  Not sure how much credence I'd give those statements about a long-term agreement for the use of a portion of the site for EastEnders. It's pretty obvious they're trying to kill off EastEnders by stealth. The costs associated with the new EastEnders set would be a PR obstacle for any cancellation announcement at present. Recouping the expense of the new EastEnders set through a sale of the site is an entirely predictable move. Watch this space.

Is this just a hunch or do you know something we don't know?

EE has been on a downward spiral for a very long time now. A few years ago I would have said that cancelling Eastenders would be unthinkable, as it's so iconic, but in recent years, compared with the greater TV landscape it seems so lowbrow and worn out.

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE

(20-08-2022, 12:46 PM)Parsons Wrote:  Is this just a hunch or do you know something we don't know?

Complete conjecture at this stage. Wouldn't be the first time the BBC lined back-up options for cost-cutting. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

At a minimum, I'd say we're edging towards a reduction in the number of episodes per week.

(20-08-2022, 10:44 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  
(20-08-2022, 12:46 PM)Parsons Wrote:  Is this just a hunch or do you know something we don't know?

Complete conjecture at this stage. Wouldn't be the first time the BBC lined back-up options for cost-cutting. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

At a minimum, I'd say we're edging towards a reduction in the number of episodes per week.

Surely it’d be more economical (in the bigger scheme of things) to produce more episodes per week rather than fewer?
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • London Lite

(20-08-2022, 10:46 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Surely it’d be more economical (in the bigger scheme of things) to produce more episodes per week rather than fewer?

Not sure that putting even more pressure on the existing crew is going to produce desirable results. It's not in a terribly great place as things stand - coming in well behind Coronation Street and Emmerdale. It's not the ratings winner it once was - so no longer a terribly valuable asset in the BBC One schedule.

It's been messed about in the schedules something shocking. You don't do that with a show you value.

Incidentally, this week's Media Show, debates whether or not soaps still matter: Have Soaps Run Their Course?

www.bbc.co.uk