BBC/ITV London News

Technical issues at the start of tonight's edition of ITV News London - which meant London viewers received ITV News Meridian South for the first few minutes.

ITV News London was cut to air and the presenter apologised for the technical problems.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clean Feed's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Didn't they have some issues with ITV News London a few weeks ago, too? I know ITN have been upgrading various equipment over recent months, so I wonder if there are some teething issues?

Yes, it fell off air on the hottest day of the year, the start of the Evening News on network was a bit wobbly too, single camera and no prompt as I recall.

I’ve heard last night’s issue was caused by the same issue as the one you mentioned, Steve. Apparently the PCR1 sound desk is being a bit temperamental.
[-] The following 5 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • Clean Feed, Drew, London Lite, Steve in Pudsey, TVFan

The early evening edition of BBC London was severely impacted by technical issues.

The programme started in sound only, with BBC News Channel pictures. It quickly switched fully to BBC News Channel.

Shortly before 7.10pm, BBC South East today appeared.  The presenter welcomed BBC London viewers. 

At 7.18pm we switched back to the BBC News Channel.  At 7.21pm BBC London restarted, but with no sound for the first few minutes. Sound was reinstated for the final few minutes of the programme.

www.youtube.com 

twitter.com 

I posted about this in the "Mistakes/Breakdowns" thread in the TV Pres thread earlier and coincidentally I recorded the full technical meltdown... enjoy~
www.youtube.com 

Interesting. I had exactly the same experience on DTT up until when BBC London were finally able to opt successfully at 19:21 but I had sound from the very start.

Must have been a pretty significant meltdown, vision mixer problems?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Isonstine's post:
  • Clean Feed

(16-09-2022, 08:21 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  Interesting. I had exactly the same experience on DTT up until when BBC London were finally able to opt successfully at 19:21 but I had sound from the very start.

Must have been a pretty significant meltdown, vision mixer problems?

Interesting. iPlayer and DSAT had no sound when the programme appeared at 7.21pm.

That's very strange. I assumed it was a vision mixer or mosart failure followed by Studio A opting back to network (NC) when they realised they were stuck.

CCM did a router switch to put SET on air per buddying arrangements, then having had the nod from Studio A (or another NBH studio that was taking over) that they were ready to continue reverted the buddy arrangement and put the London output back to air. Why this was carrying the sustaining feed rather than SET for a smooth transition is a mystery.

However for there to now be a sound fault, only on certain platforms, seems like the whole thing is a routing issue. But I thought that all happened in the digital domain with sound and vision combined.

I wouldn't be surprised if London's opt infrastructure is different to the rest of the country however, but it's a bizarre one.

I assume Octopus Energy's sponsorship of ITV London's weather has ended as wasn't a sponsor sting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Superman1986