Jeremy Paxman steps down from University Challenge

twitter.com 

www.bbc.co.uk 

Paxman says: "I’ve had a blast hosting this wonderful series for nearly 29 years. I’ve been lucky enough to work with an amazing team and to meet some of the swottier brains in the country. It gives me hope for the future."

Admin edit: to address tweet display issue.

Amol Rajan is confirmed as the next host.  He is also stepping down as Media Editor:

www.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:Journalist and broadcaster Amol Rajan has been announced as the new University Challenge host, taking over from Jeremy Paxman from autumn 2023 onwards.

Rajan has been the BBC’s Media Editor since December 2016 and a presenter of the BBC Radio 4 Today programme since May 2021. He has also presented on BBC Radio 2 and The One Show, and was previously editor of The Independent newspaper.

Rajan says: “Being asked to host my favourite TV programme is dream-come-true territory. I have watched University Challenge obsessively for years, addicted to its high standards, glorious title music, and inspirational contestants. It’s the best possible antidote to cynicism about young people, allowing millions of us to test our wits against the best minds of a new generation, and annoy and impress our families by barking answers from the sofa.

Not a particularly exciting choice, Paxman bought a certain disdain to the show so will be interesting to if Amol can bring anything special.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Andrew Wood

On a related note I wonder if they'll close the 'media editor' post in BBC News once he moves.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Never heard of him. A newspaper editor and radio newsreader? Huh

(20-08-2022, 03:21 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Never heard of him. A newspaper editor and radio newsreader? Huh

He is the BBC's Media Editor currently. He has covered for various presenters on Radio 2 in the past, and has covered The One Show as well. He also is part of the Today team on Radio 4. You've done well to miss him really on the BBC.

I'm not sure he's right for the role either. You want a host to be of an appropriate calibre for a programme like University Challenge, and I think Samira Ahmed would have fitted the bill rather better.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • chevron, DE88

Last Friday's Christmas UC final was the very last episode of UC that Paxo recorded.

By my reckoning, it was his 1,180th episode in all - 967 regular eps (including the ones in the current series yet to be broadcast), 118 Christmas eps, 61 Professionals eps, 18 Reunited eps and 16 other specials.

Not long till Amol records his first eps; as well as wondering (whether with excitement or fear) just how well he'll do, we also wonder what other changes will take place. Will there be a new set and new titles, and might there even be a new version of the theme tune (the Balanescu Quartet's version has been used for a stonking 23 years now)?

I haven't come across anything to suggest that Roger Tilling won't continue to call out "Magdalen, Smith", "SOAS, Philippopoulos" and so on. Were he to step aside too, however, who would be a good replacement?

I don’t think they’ll change anything in a major way, as they’ll want a sense of continuity. In general the look of gameshows doesn’t drastically change now, with tweaks and slight modernisations being the most that’s happens. Unless they’ve been off air for while, such as The Weakest Link. Can anyone think of a gameshow or panel show that’s had a major new look from one series to the next in recent years?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

(03-01-2023, 11:23 PM)DE88 Wrote:  I haven't come across anything to suggest that Roger Tilling won't continue to call out "Magdalen, Smith", "SOAS, Philippopoulos" and so on. Were he to step aside too, however, who would be a good replacement?

Steven Toast?
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • Jon, Spencer

(04-01-2023, 12:15 AM)Jon Wrote:  Can anyone think of a gameshow or panel show that’s had a major new look from one series to the next in recent years?

Only one I can think of is Countdown but it's been quite a while since they've rebranded majorly.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.