An old TV Forum mystery

I was having a flick earlier through the videos in my YouTube subscription list, when I came across a video featuring Channel One, a channel I was only vaguely aware of (the local London cable channel, rather than the later Freeview channel).

At 5 minutes in is an introduction to This Is London:

youtu.be 

The name of the newsreader (which sounds like Marie-Louise Creegor) rang a bell - is it perhaps the same person referred to by itsrobert on this TV Forum thread?

www.tvforum.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Medianext.MX

I can't help with this longstanding mystery, I'm afraid, but doesn't the introduction to This is London look and sound a bit like Channel 9 from The Fast Show?

youtu.be 

Maybe that's a clue?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • bilky asko

Channel one news intro seems like a comedy spoof!
[-] The following 1 user Likes mccanmat's post:
  • bilky asko

Wow. Even for that time period it looks like a spoof. Goodness. The music and the graphics are.....off. Seems like it was trying to emulate American local news. At least the tried....I guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

How many Channel One variants were there? I remember at my grandparents house (who had Telewest Analogue) they had the Liverpool version "Channel One Liverpool". The logo was the same as the logo of the London version posted above (but with "Liverpool" added to it).

Visit the Internet Commentator Database  - www.icdb.tv 

(31-10-2023, 12:54 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Wow. Even for that time period it looks like a spoof. Goodness. The music and the graphics are.....off. Seems like it was trying to emulate American local news. At least the tried....I guess.
I think that American style is so alien to the UK that it’s difficult to pull it off without it looking like a spoof. 

One thing is set does a least look somewhat comparable to the regional ITV operations of the time. Something that can’t be said for most of the local TV channels that would be set up nearly two decades later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Spencer

(31-10-2023, 01:35 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  I was having a flick earlier through the videos in my YouTube subscription list, when I came across a video featuring Channel One, a channel I was only vaguely aware of (the local London cable channel, rather than the later Freeview channel).

At 5 minutes in is an introduction to This Is London:

youtu.be 

The name of the newsreader (which sounds like Marie-Louise Creegor) rang a bell - is it perhaps the same person referred to by itsrobert on this TV Forum thread?

www.tvforum.co.uk 

Wow! That is a definite possibility, bilky! Thank you so much for this. I guess she might have decided to go with Lou Creegor eventually? I thought I'd never get an answer to that mystery. I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can turn up any links with ITN in c1999 when I think that voice over might have been recorded.
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • bilky asko

I mentioned Channel One on another thread a few weeks back. Yes there was just London and Liverpool versions, I think the Liverpool one outlived the London by a while.

The channel was owned by the Daily Mail Group (then also owners of The Evening Standard) and broadcast from the old Channel 4 building which is shown briefly in the news intro (according to the TV Studios History site they were looking to take over the old Thames TV studios up the road a few years earlier, so that could have been where it was based instead)

It was a similar city based model that L!ve TV were originally going to use too, oddly that had a Liverpool version too, maybe Liverpool were seen as being a good city for cable?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Roger Darthwell